Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Headlight and running light bulb replacement question

Hey Guys,

Front headlight went out. Don't like the visability at night with the standard headlight and running lights. I am going to switch out my headlight bulb to the Sylvania Ultra Silverstar H4 replacement bulb. I am also going to change the running lights to the Sylvania Ultra Silverstar H3 55 watt bulbs.

In doing this are these lights just direct replacements (headlight bulb says it is) or do I need to do anything different from just taking old ones out and putting new ones in?

Thanks for the help
Original Thunder monster baffles in header

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

By running lights I presume you mean hyway lights, cause the standard running lights are 1157 in the front turn/ running light, 1156 in the rear turn and 1157 in the brake/ running light.
For the hyway lights, if it is a h3 in there now it should be a plug and play for the replacement you are wanting to put in.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

If you haven't bought the Sylvania bulb yet consider the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs instead. The sylvanias don;t last because of the additional heat generated from the higher wattage bulb. Mine burned out in 4 months, both beams, leaving me to drive a 25 mile ride home from work at midnight with no headlight. (Yes, I carry an extra bulb now!)
The Osram's are OEM wattage but produce much more light than OEM and its a much whiter light. The first time I used mine it actually made me say WOW!
Just my 2 cents....
Heres a link
http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-Night-Br...reaker+plus+h4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 PM   #4

You need an find insert to run H3 in your spotlight bucket. I had some Adjures that fit but not all do. Finding a 55 Watt sealed beam is relatively east though.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
If you haven't bought the Sylvania bulb yet consider the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs instead. The sylvanias don;t last because of the additional heat generated from the higher wattage bulb. Mine burned out in 4 months, both beams, leaving me to drive a 25 mile ride home from work at midnight with no headlight. (Yes, I carry an extra bulb now!)
The Osram's are OEM wattage but produce much more light than OEM and its a much whiter light. The first time I used mine it actually made me say WOW!
Just my 2 cents....
Heres a link
http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-Night-Br...reaker+plus+h4
Thanks for the info on the Osram Nightbreaker. I think I am going to go with that. For my highway lights I have the Wagner 4449 sealed beam lights. Is there a white light replacement for these? I don't want to have a white headlight and yellow highway lights if I don't have to. The bottom line is better night visibility so I will do whatever is best for that.

Thanks
Original Thunder monster baffles in header

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Good catch, thanks Bill. It's on my list for winter updates.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 09-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Hey Bill will that bulb you were talking about above fit my 1600cc Nomad '05?? Do you need 1 bulb(I see you buy 2 on Amazon, so 1 is spare?) or is that bulb you mentioned a hi/lo bulb? if so thats a good price. Thanks

Last edited by dogdoc; 09-05-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
Hey Bill will that bulb you were talking about above fit my 1600cc Nomad '05?? Do you need 1 bulb(I see you buy 2 on Amazon, so 1 is spare?) or is that bulb you mentioned a hi/lo bulb? if so thats a good price. Thanks
Yes to all. It fits, it's a two element hi/low bulb, they come 2 to a pak and yes, that is a good price. I paid $33 for mine and had to wait for it to ship from Germany.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #9

I know exactly what you are talking about when you say that you don't want a white headlight and yellow passing lights. Unless you are using the same manufacturer the balance is very hard to create. Trial and error will get you the results and night vision that you want. I have a box full of great Wagner bulbs that I bought. Even though they give great light I ended up going LED and I am 90% happy. The lost 10% is the reduced visibility of the LED lights during daylight hours. At the right/or should I say wrong angle it may look like the lights are dim or off. At night with Bambi running toward the road from your blind side those LED lights are worth a million dollars. Now you can see clearly what was in the shadows with regular bulbs.

My 2 cents
Ra

Old 09-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #10

What all is involved with going to an LED headlight? Is it just a matter of switching bulbs or do you have to add some electronics too.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #11

I have seen guys that report switching to an LED bulb. Pretty much plug and play with no extra electrical things to do. The results vary depending on replacement bulb chosen and most importantly, the headlight housing. Some housings throw or reflect the light outward much better than others.

The Harley style LED bulbs are bright as hell and still plug and play. You will need an adapter to mount the light in our bucket. The results are wonderful, the price, from $169-$700 per headlight can be at big stop sign.

I went with the Truck Lite LED phase 7 bulb.

Ra