Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

View Poll Results: Are you seriously thinking of attending the Orofino Rally
Yes I will attend 5 38.46%
No I will Not attend 1 7.69%
strong maybe 5 38.46%
weak maybe 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Mike,
If either you or your son are departing from Edmonton you are welcome to join up with eagle Eye and myself for the trip down. Not confirmed yet, but I think the plan will be to leave Calgary the morning of Saturday the 19th and enjoy a nice leisurely ride down to Orfino.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
Mike,
If either you or your son are departing from Edmonton you are welcome to join up with eagle Eye and myself for the trip down. Not confirmed yet, but I think the plan will be to leave Calgary the morning of Saturday the 19th and enjoy a nice leisurely ride down to Orfino.
...thanks Al. I will be home at least a week prior to leaving for Orofino. I'm pretty sure my son will join me in Armstrong and leave from there but I'm not sure whether we will leave Saturday or Sunday. To soon to tell. Might depend on hooking up with Rick and any others coming through.

Finally getting some warmer temps here in Edmonton. Supposed to get to plus 7 or 8 today! Its been a long winter. Cabin Fever!!

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #18

Hey all
Going to be leaving from Stony Plain sometime on the weekend. Plans aren't firm yet but I'll keep looking on the forums closer to the date.
Later
John
2006 900 Kawa Classic
2007 1600 Nomad
2013 Voyager

Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
...thanks Al. I will be home at least a week prior to leaving for Orofino. I'm pretty sure my son will join me in Armstrong and leave from there but I'm not sure whether we will leave Saturday or Sunday. To soon to tell. Might depend on hooking up with Rick and any others coming through.

Finally getting some warmer temps here in Edmonton. Supposed to get to plus 7 or 8 today! Its been a long winter. Cabin Fever!!

Mike

Hey there...Warm and melting here.... plus 8* now.
I'm thinking I'll be pretty flexible on the dates Mike. what are the dates you're thinking of. How long do you expect to take to go and rtn.??
Just a couple of hrs. I think to Armstrong isn't it?? I'll have to start to plan. If it stays warm I'll be taking the Nomad out of hibernation and going over things. I'm going to need a frt. tire so I might pick one up when I'm on the coast next week. {going for a family/friends visit}
Let's converse on a plan Mike...... and anyone else that might be thinking of joining Mike and I on the ride down. I have had some input from Kevin Clark {R.V.P} and he has suggested possibly hooking up at the border. he's also coming from Edmt. {Stoney Plain AB] Maybe bringing others with him I don't know.
Al,... maybe get in touch with Kevin and hook up with him on his way down then meet with us. .....I'm getting stoked now.

I'm hoping my BFF [ Brian/"midge"] will be able to come with me from here.... not sure on what he'll be able to do yet though. Unfortunately Bdog isn't going to make it this yr. ...I was hoping he could. Nobody has met him I don't think.... except me. Great person. !!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #20

8C today so I fired up the ride today. Ran like a charm, all pressures, volts and electrical running proper after a long winter slumber. As far as the trip down, not sure which day I'm leaving so hard to commit right now. Like you Rick, I'm starting to get stocked myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #21

8C in Stony already!!! Well, I have another couple of months left in this holiday before I get home and prep for my next holiday ... but I'll be there!
A lot of Tridents and Italian bikes here, haven't seen an Nomad yet!
Al, in Coffs Harbour Australia

Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #22
Top Contributor

Hey Mike, Rick, et al.....

Just a thought, but if you guys left Armstrong on Saturday the 19th and rode to Post Falls, ID (right on your way), Tricia and I could hook up with you for the ride Sunday from Post Falls to Orofino. We will be in Post Falls from the 17th thru the 20th attending another rally just prior to the Orofino gig. It would be great to make the run down with you and might be an easy deal since it is literally right on your route south. Check it out!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Thx Kris,...that might just work. I have yet to look at a map but will toss that option into the mix and speak with Mike eventually. He's mentioned a possible rid up here to my place beforehand and talk about the rally ride.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
Thx Kris,...that might just work. I have yet to look at a map but will toss that option into the mix and speak with Mike eventually. He's mentioned a possible rid up here to my place beforehand and talk about the rally ride.
Indeed....looking at Google Maps...from Armstrong...it looks like about 471 kms/293 miles, or 6.5 hours in the saddle as it appears to be a lot of great back roads from there to Post Falls. Even the guys coming from the Calgary/Lethbridge area might think about meeting there as well. It's either that or Lolo Pass for those boys....and that is one of the planned group rides.

From Post Falls....even taking the slower scenic route, it is only about 3.5 hours ride to Orofino, so we could even sleep in some before enjoying a casual ride southward. I figured Tricia and I would be making the run from Post Falls to Orofino by ourselves, but after looking at the map and letting my Viking navigational skills kick in, I realized just how easy it would be for us to meet up and ride into Orofino together...as will you once you get a look at the map.....

We will be holed up at the Red Lion Templins Hotel in Post Falls...the main lodging for the NW Vic Rally. No worries either way...just tossing it out there, but you know how much we would enjoy hooking up with you all....
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
Indeed....looking at Google Maps...from Armstrong...it looks like about 471 kms/293 miles, or 6.5 hours in the saddle as it appears to be a lot of great back roads from there to Post Falls. Even the guys coming from the Calgary/Lethbridge area might think about meeting there as well. It's either that or Lolo Pass for those boys....and that is one of the planned group rides.

From Post Falls....even taking the slower scenic route, it is only about 3.5 hours ride to Orofino, so we could even sleep in some before enjoying a casual ride southward. I figured Tricia and I would be making the run from Post Falls to Orofino by ourselves, but after looking at the map and letting my Viking navigational skills kick in, I realized just how easy it would be for us to meet up and ride into Orofino together...as will you once you get a look at the map.....

We will be holed up at the Red Lion Templins Hotel in Post Falls...the main lodging for the NW Vic Rally. No worries either way...just tossing it out there, but you know how much we would enjoy hooking up with you all....
Kris if you're using the HD planning site or something else send me, Mike, and the "AB boys", [Al and Kevin] the link to the suggested route you've mentioned. It would be a good place for us to start planning.
Thx my friend.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #26
Top Contributor

Ricky,

Here is the basic route from Armstrong (Mike's place) to Orofino, with the middle point being Post Falls, ID, just east of Spokane....

http://goo.gl/maps/QmuzJ

Here is the route to Orofino thru Post Falls from Lethbridge....

http://goo.gl/maps/w5FH4

Here is the route to Orofino thru Lolo Pass from Lethbridge....

http://goo.gl/maps/dbuVO

As you can see....for you guys coming from Mike's place, Post Falls is right on the way....and for the guys coming from AB, it's about a wash either way (thru Post Falls, ID or Lolo Pass). From either direction...Post Falls is probably a good day in the saddle for everyone involved...but it would be easy-squeezy to form up a group in Post Falls and head for Orofino on Sunday July 20...taking a relaxed scenic route.

Mind you, this puts everyone in Orofino a full day ahead of the actual rally (Sunday afternoon). Most people will probably be riding in on Monday, but I need to be there early for a fly-fishing trip that Bud and I have planned for that Monday (July 21). So if this works out, great, if not, I'll for sure see you guys there!

Kick it around over a couple Kokanee's and see what shakes out...and you Alberta boys feel free to chime in here....!
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #27
Top Contributor

Thx Kris I'll have a look and maybe Mike will see this and have a look at the links too.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #28
Advanced Member

.... I like the route from Armstrong to Post Falls. If my son comes to Armstrong before we head south, that's probably the route to take. I'm not sure I wanna be in Orofino a day early. So that is something we can toss around as we get closer to departure Rick.

Thanks for the input Kris.

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
.... I like the route from Armstrong to Post Falls. If my son comes to Armstrong before we head south, that's probably the route to take. I'm not sure I wanna be in Orofino a day early. So that is something we can toss around as we get closer to departure Rick.

Thanks for the input Kris.

Mike
I agree Mike ....that looks fine. I might take one day to ride to Armstrong, stay with you if that's OK or get a room somewhere. Then leave the next day for Orofino. We can hopefully meet up with the AB guys. But like you said,... I don't know that I care to be in Orofino a day earlier than what we need to be.

Depending on your available time Kevin/AB boys you could meet us either in Armstrong ...via Banff and Revelstoke...... or if you have the time maybe take the #3 Hwy and meet us at the crossing between Osoyoos and Grand Forks. You've probably all been on the #3 Hwy. but it's a nice road on a bike. But it'll probably take longer.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #30
Top Contributor

Whatever works. I've tossed it out there and will just wait to see what you guys decide. It's all good either way.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic