Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #1

Van pulled out in front of me...grrr

Out for a ride yesterday. There sits a lady in a van on side road to my right. Sitting there looking until I get close and then pulls out in front of me making a left! Fortunately I wasn't going that fast, got all the way over to the right and on the brakes and we missed. I was on the Nad and hubbie was behind me on the Goldwing. He said she had the look on her face.

It looked like she was looking at me but like they taught in the MSF class I was watching to see if her wheels started rolling. Man they sure can be looking at you but who knows their minds are on a million other things except their driving. :-/
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

I had someone turn left in front of me. Actually it wasn't so much in front of me as it was right AT me. As soon as they were close enough that I could have reached out and touched their car and I thought I was dead they somehow swerved around me! I didn't even know what to do I just froze and thought I was going to die. I didn't want to swerve right because that was the direction they were heading and if I swerved left I would have ran right into them. Chalked that one up as "God saved me"

Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #3

Ain't the "I didn't see them' mentality wonderful. There was two of us on bikes and my hubbies Wing is bright Orange!

Years ago my hubbie was passing a vehicle (I was riding pillion) on a two laner.....a dog came out and was standing there in the right lane so we were still in the left barreling toward a semi coming toward us.....the dog moved back off to the right shoulder and hubbie zipped back over just in time to keep us from being splats on his windshield.
Kawanow Member #23

Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Top Contributor

geez what horror stories, i was barreling along a 4 laner about 70mph, when a guy in a small car was trying to turn left at an intersection. he was fixing to hit the gas and was rolling a little just as I was at the intersection. it was like he was going right in front of me but he pulled up when he seen Iwas there. I felt really kinda sick for a couple miles because the was nothing I could have done to avoid it if he did turn.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #5

Thank God you all are all still with us raising h@@@ on this board!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Top Contributor

I recently had to take a driver's safety course thanks to the cop who claims I ran a red on a yellow...ehem..anyway. I asked the instructor if he spoke at all about sharing the road or watching out for motorcyclists. He told me that normally he did, but that night he was too far behind to mention it. Now, we had plenty of time to hear about his family, their money, where his brother was buried, nonsense like that, but we didn't have time to talk about watching out for bikers.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
I recently had to take a driver's safety course thanks to the cop who claims I ran a red on a yellow...ehem..anyway. I asked the instructor if he spoke at all about sharing the road or watching out for motorcyclists. He told me that normally he did, but that night he was too far behind to mention it. Now, we had plenty of time to hear about his family, their money, where his brother was buried, nonsense like that, but we didn't have time to talk about watching out for bikers.
Grrrr - I see where his priorities were! :(" title="" border="0"/>
Kawanow Member #23

Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #8

Glad you're okay Nancy!!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Glad you're okay Nancy!!
Thanks! I sure wish there was more m/c education given to cagers....ie miss judging our speed...one of the major reasons folks do those lefts in front of bikes....something about the difference in the mass size of the a bike vs car makes them miss judge the speed of the bike and they think they can beat the bike thru the intersection.
Kawanow Member #23

Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #10

Glad nobody got hurt!

I love it when your's riding in a group.... 2-3-4 bikes on the freeway... and some car decides he needs to merge over between you..... isn't it great?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #11

Quote:
I love it when your's riding in a group.... 2-3-4 bikes on the freeway... and some car decides he needs to merge over between you..... isn't it great?
I'm looking forward to the day they come out with handheld electromagnetic pulse emitters for disabling dumd-a$$es like that.
BZZZZZT!!!! and they disappear into your rearview coasting to a stop before calling a tow truck for a very expensive repair.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
Top Contributor

I believe we, bikers, should be allowed to carry paintball guns and shoot cars when they do or are about to do something stupid so they get a warning. Afte a requisite number of paintball hits, they lose their car and their license.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
I believe we, bikers, should be allowed to carry paintball guns and shoot cars when they do or are about to do something stupid so they get a warning. Afte a requisite number of paintball hits, they lose their car and their license.
oh oh.....sign me up for one of them thar thangs!
Kawanow Member #23

Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Sign me up too. I see a rig mounted on the luggage rack with a feed up from one of the saddlebags, high volume paint balls. Squirt in front of the offending cager and mash the button until the windshield is totally covered. Better than an air horn.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #15