Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #31

It's Your Head

Quote:
When your time is up it's up?
I don't agree. Do you think everyone comes into this life with a predetermined date for their death?
If I get up from this computer right now and go put a gun to my head, BANG, my time was up?
If I just move on to the next thread, my time wasn't up?
Maybe I don't get your point ???
If you separate that one statement and then take it literally, you will not understand it. What I mean is that some people make decisions that end their life prematurely simply by the way they live. Such as in your gun scenario, some drivers/motorcycle riders are aggressive or reckless and that is why they die. Conversely, YOU can do everything right and still get hit and killed by one of these drivers while on the roadway.

I have seen several totally innocent victims who were doing everything right at the time they were hit and subsequently killed in a motor vehicle crash. They had no role in their death other than being the victim. Dying that day was not on their "To Do List."

YOU do not know the time or place you are going to die if your death is not in your control. Certainly choosing suicide will give you control of the time of your death but I submit that an individual choosing a long term solution to a short term problem has little to no control over anything else in their life.

If you wear a full face helmet and are subsequently run over by a tractor trailer who happened to run a red light because he did not see it turn red because the sun blinded him, the full face helmet or amount of protective gear your were wearing at the time (which is incidentally the topic of this thread) will probably mean nothing. (I actually worked a crash like that) In my opinion, although sad, your time was simply up at that point.

However, if YOU choose to wear a brain bucket and YOU put a fake DOT approved sticker on it and then YOU run the red light and YOU are hit by a tractor trailer that had the right-of-way then YOU made a bad decision on that day.

The type of helmet you wear is "your" choice. My original argument was that, at high speeds, it is my experience that the type of helmet you choose to wear doesn't really matter. If you fall over in your driveway and strike your head on the concrete it might.

Hence, personal responsibility, accountability, maturity, and experience are important in the choices YOU make to live.

Six months ago I did a death notification to a father and mother of a 22 year old who died in a DUI crash where he was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle (he flew 27 ft from the vehicle and did a head plant into the roadway). Speed and alcohol were huge factors in his losing control of the vehicle. The vehicle rolled 3 times and he was ejected during the 1st roll. The father asked and I explained the details, facts, and dynamics involved in the crash. The mother asked me if it was okay for her to be angry at her son. I asked why? She told me that her son's death was no accident...she viewed it as a suicide. That puzzled me and then she explained that she has had several arguments with him about his drinking alcohol and driving. He said he was over 21 and it was legal for him to drink. She said she has had numerous arguments about him not wearing his seatbelt. He told her he was not a child and it was his choice. She recently argued with him after he had hung up from a conversation on the phone with a friend in which he was bragging about how fast his new 3000GT would go. She said there is no reason for you to drive that fast. She said, "As a mother, I told him and I told him and I told him. He died because of his choices. I am mad at him for that."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #32

It's Your Head

OK got ya. Thanks for the clarification.
I don't think I would want your job. Especially the notifying the next of kin.

(which is incidentally the topic of this thread)
Come on dui546, you know these threads get hijacked all the time
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #33

It's Your Head

LOL--- YOU ARE INDEED RIGHT ABOUT THAT!