Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #16
Top Contributor

New Safety Board

In TX you can take the driving school course which is great or you can study the book and take the written test and pass. Then you take the actual driving test which is real driving on the streets no cones. fairly easy.

Doc

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #17

New Safety Board

#3...... uh...something about the rubber side and the shiney side?

<marquee> ??? ??? ???</marquee>

Old 08-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #18

New Safety Board

I think most riders do most things instinctively. Unfortunately, that, at times, is exactly the wrong thing to do.
My best students are those of you that have ridden dirt bikes when younger.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Top Contributor

New Safety Board

In NC you can take the written test and the road test, much like someone described in CA around the cones in a parking lot and dont put your foot down or you fail, and you can get your full license. The road tests includes slow ride, serpentine around the cones, fast start and stop, signaling etc. Its not easy.

If you take the MSF course you do not need to do the road test, just the written.

You can get a provisional (no passenger) license by just passing the written.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #20

New Safety Board

If you move into NC with an endorsement from another state, you take the written test and you get your endorsement for NC. NC makes you take the written test for a regular license as well. It seems to me, if you can drive in one state, why can't NC just transfer everything over.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #21

New Safety Board

To them it justifies taking your $$...........

Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #22
Top Contributor

New Safety Board

Amen, another gov't rip off.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #23

New Safety Board

Quote:
In Va...A lot of the young sport bike riders cannot afford the insurance sooo they ride without..and since the cops normally cant catch em they dont worry about the License.....and when they run they at time crash.......
We have a high concentration of military in our area. Sport bike riding is a huge trend with these guys and gals ranging from beginners to highly skilled riders. About 1/3 never get a motorcycle license because they are licensed in other states and do not have the time to do it correctly. Needless to say, they never ride their motorcycles on the military bases because they have strict requirements to get base passes. YOU are right...many do not carry insurance because of the high cost. AND...another trend they have...is to install there license plate in the wheel well area of the motorcycle so that people cannot read or get their license plate number. Many of them crash and are either seriously disabled for life or they are DRT - Dead Right There. Regardless, it is a big problem for the military because they have been losing more sailors and soldiers to sport bike accidents than any other off duty incidents.

I am a member of a joint task board that addresses common problems and solutions and the military has asked us to take aggressive enforcement action on their people in order to prevent off duty injuries/death. It is there version of tough love because when they get caught riding without a m/c license or no insurance the military gets them for disobeying orders of compliance. It is a huge challenge.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #24

New Safety Board

Quote:
Music or no music...

Do you listen to music when you are riding and what method do you use? I use an mp3 with these new earphones I found that fit inside the ear and act as an earplug while allowing me to listen at lower volume levels. They are very comfortable and I do notice a considerable decrease in noise levels. What about y'all?
When traveling I listen to FM/AM radio via a walkman with a pair of JVC earplugs. The ends are a plastic coated foam so they are form fitting and I also like that I can keep the volume lower so as to be able to "pull to the right, for sirens and lights".

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #25
Advanced Member

New Safety Board

Music? No.
I ride to escape. I want to hear nothing but the bike, wind, birds etc.
I even put the cell phone in the bags so if someone calls I don't hear it.
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #26
Advanced Member

New Safety Board

Quote:
Music? No.
I ride to escape. I want to hear nothing but the bike, wind, birds etc.
I even put the cell phone in the bags so if someone calls I don't hear it.
+1 with rflnomad. Riding is my joy, my pleasure, my therapy. "We don't need no stinkin cell phones!" In the bag AND shut off to boot. I'll call 'em back if it's important, but at this time, riding takes precendence. Too bad, so sad....

I do sing to myself though. I wonder what the cagers think when they see my hands, fingers and feet tapping away as I ride? Then again, who cares what the cagers think!!!