Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #1

Vehicle speed and stopping distances

Speed and stopping came up in another topic in this forum. As a police officer assigned to a traffic unit, I investigate a lot of dynamic crashes and do a lot of death notifications. People often state that "there wasn't enough time" or "I tried to stop" or "the motorcycle, pedestrian, animal, etc just ran out in front of me."

I believe this topic contains important things to consider in the motorcycle safety area. Below are two slides about vehicle stopping distances I use when giving traffic safety lectures. The first is the accepted required stopping distances for cars and trucks. The perception reaction block is the distance the vehicle will travel during the average time it takes a driver to react to a problem (1.5 seconds). For example, a Nascar driver would react faster and a intoxicated or old driver would react slower.) The second is comparing the total average stopping distances for a car in yards using a football field for reference. Please consider the information below when deciding if it is safe to enter into a roadway.

Folks, motorcycle riding should always be considered "defensive riding." The Nomad is a cruiser and we bought it because we wanted its style or characteristics in a motorcycle. I would submit that cruiser and goldwing riders (minus alcohol consumption) are normally safe riders. Alcohol and motorcycles ARE NOT a win/win combination. Enjoy a beverage "after the ride."

The number of fatalities on motorcycles in our city to date is unprecedented by totals in previous years. Most involve sport bikes or "crotch rockets", inexperienced riders, and high speeds. One actually hit and was killed by a speed limit sign so we know that she knew how fast she should have been going, right?

Simply put, aggressive riding or drunk riding of a motorcycle on a public roadway or highway "WILL" always lead to serious injury or death. We scrape up a lot of them.

Another officer reviewed this topic and suggested I mention something that we've found to be true in fatal motorcycle crashes. Capabilities. Every motorcycle and rider has a certain performance level they are capable of reaching. In other words, a motorcycle can sometime reach speeds and navigate on curves that are phenomenal. Likewise, the rider may have the skill required to do the same. If the rider's performance or skill level "exceeds" that of the motorcycle they are riding then he or she is ready for an upgrade or bigger ride. A good match occurs when the skill level of the rider is not "out done" by the motorcycle performance under them. A bad match happens when a "new" or relatively inexperienced rider mounts a motorcycle that has performance levels or size way beyond their ability. Please consider that "every rider" is a "new rider" on a motorcycle that they have never ridden before or have "no" experience on. The fun part is consumating the relationship!

People riding in groups also have different skill levels. Some crashes have resulted from riders literally "trying to keep up" or "fit in" with the group. I personally feel that the entire group of riders share responsibility in these crashes. DO NOT be afraid to discuss this before the ride. You may not be able to talk about it later unless it is with somebody like me. (Hindsight is 20/20)

My hope is that this thread will inspire thought and conversation with you and your riding pals. (You Go Wild Hogs!) Remember, "if you fail to plan...you plan to fail." Ride Safely my Nomad friends! I hope to see you at the Eastern Rally.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #2

WELL SAID DUI.
I couldn't agree more. Especially the drinking and driving on a bike. Even if you know, for a fact, you are well within the "legal" limit, just the act of riding ( balancing ) a bike is sooo much different than driving a car after a few pops.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Cuddo's dui!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #4

Came to this thread after you mentioned it in the 'tailgating' thread under jokes and misc. Very well put - thanks for sharing.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing