In Association with VBA Web : Memorial | Merchandise

Important Info : Please Read!
If this is your first visit to our new forum (est. 9.20.11) and you're already registered on the old forum, you'll have to request a new password in order to log in here. To do so, please Click Here and fill in the proper info. You must use the email address that you originally registered with on the old forum. You will then be emailed a new password (if you don't see it, please check your spam/junk folder). If you have any problems at all, please email us at mail@VulcanBagger.com. Thanks!

Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic > Lighter Side/Jokes
Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #1

Thumbs Up Not sure where to post it, trying to talk myself into or out of it!

I am hoping that between the act of writing this and some well reasoned comments, I will find the clarity I seek.
I have a 2001 1500 Classic that I have owned for about 4 years now. Between work and being out of the country a good bit, it has spent more time the garage than I ever intended. I did add a few farkels to it and am generally happy with the bike. It's not new, but it is mine and looks pretty good for a 20 yr old bike. I put LED lights on, new saddle bags and a few other goodies. It has about 40K miles, and a slight valve knock that my mechanic tells me the only real way to fix is to replace or rebuild the motor. The past 6 months to a year it has started to really show the age a bit with repairs (it has a carb not injected) and my stupidity last winter was an expensive lesson in how NOT to winterize a bike. The biggest complaint I have is the damn seat is very uncomfortable and I need to get a different one.
I tell you all of that to tell you this. This winter as I was sitting in quarantine hotel in Hong Kong for 2 weeks, I got it into my head that instead of spending money on the seat, probable major engine work, etc. I should just get a newer bike. I looked at a newer model of mine, but really like the Yamaha FJR 1300. Good for me that I wasn't at home, because I am sure I would have dropped $8-10,000 on a different bike. Over the past month or so, I am starting to think maybe it is better to stash that money away and just keep what I have got. I really want to do some extended trips this year and have 8 weeks until I will be retired, and Mrs. Sky has decided she likes riding with me. We went on a trip along the Skyline Dr. last fall and all she could say was how much fun it would be on the bike. I'be been looking for a folding trailer to pull it with us, but so far haven't had any luck. If i decide to hang onto the Classic, which is the way I am leaning now, my next project is the seat, probably either a Russel or Corbin. If the Daytona show happens this year, maybe I can talk to the reps there. I suspect this is as crazy as it sounds, but I suspect there are more than a few of us that have faced similar decisions, I am curious what you decided and how it worked out. One thing for sure, there are no guarantees either way. I appreciate any comments you have, even those that point our how big an idiot I am for wasting your time posting this missive.
Best,
Sky
Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Can you define "valve knock". Is it excessive valve clearance ? How many miles are on the bike ?

Personally I would go with the Russell seats because I had them on my Nomad and then my Voyager. My wife asks me every time I get a different bike "are we going to get Russell seats for it".

I had a Yamaha FJR after I sold the Voyager. I did not have it for long. I did several mods to it including Russell seats but I could never get comfortable on the FJR. The ergonomics just did not suit my body.

Last edited by redjay; 01-24-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Probably get more views if this wasn't in the Joke section of the forum.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860
Old 01-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

You are probably 100% correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Probably get more views if this wasn't in the Joke section of the forum.
To be honest, I agree with you, I just wasn't sure where else to put it. I was just really kind of using this forum as a sounding board since I figured most of the people here are pretty serious about riding and their own bikes in particular. I didn't want to "get off topic" and figured this was the least likely place to be accused of that. I do appreciate the input....Thanks
Old 01-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
Advanced Member

The seat and the noisy valves are a start. If two up, make sure the put a quality set of tires for safety sake. Check to manufacturing date not the tread depth if you travel for work. Cheap price ain't always a good thing. Remember there is only 2 tires. Russell seats are pricey but by far they are a quality upgrade. Had one on the Nomad 1500 and now on the Voyager. None of the 100 different people I ride with can hang with me on seat time, except the guy that bought my 1500. The valve sound can be the timing chains rattling. They stretch. Adding the extension ends to the extender/tensioner can solve the sound. 40,000 miles,, its time.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
The seat and the noisy valves are a start. If two up, make sure the put a quality set of tires for safety sake. Check to manufacturing date not the tread depth if you travel for work. Cheap price ain't always a good thing. Remember there is only 2 tires. Russell seats are pricey but by far they are a quality upgrade. Had one on the Nomad 1500 and now on the Voyager. None of the 100 different people I ride with can hang with me on seat time, except the guy that bought my 1500. The valve sound can be the timing chains rattling. They stretch. Adding the extension ends to the extender/tensioner can solve the sound. 40,000 miles,, its time.
Thanks for the reply. I put the tires on in the spring of 2018 and know while they have plenty of tread, I need to take a look about the age. They are Michelin tires, and they ride pretty well. I will ask my mechanic about timing chain issue and see what he says. I suspect that time and 40,000 is about the sweet spot for a few "big ticket" items. I have read a lot about seats on this and other forums, and like butts everyone has an opinion. I will say that the Russell seats come out on top in a lot of the discussions, which they should given the price. I don't live far from Corbin, and it would be nice if I could take the bike to them and let them do something great, but that might just be wishful thinking. I see a lot of discussion about a better backrest that is made my someone in Canada, but cannot find a web site or info to get some info on the product. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.
Sky
Old 01-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #7

Grasshopper back rest, made in USA, good product <$100. Amazon.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyryder View Post
I see a lot of discussion about a better backrest that is made my someone in Canada, but cannot find a web site or info to get some info on the product.
Are you thinking of Ultimate Seats?? I had one of their seats on my '08 Nomad and it was very comfortable.

https://ultimateseats.ca/kawasaki-mo...ic-nomad-seats

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue
Old 01-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #9

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
Are you thinking of Ultimate Seats?? I had one of their seats on my '08 Nomad and it was very comfortable.

https://ultimateseats.ca/kawasaki-mo...ic-nomad-seats

I had looked at this seat once before, unfortunately mine is a 2001 carb Classic and the sear doesn't fit the carb models, only the injected ones.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Grasshopper back rest, made in USA, good product <$100. Amazon.
Thank you the information. The reviews I have seen on the Grasshopper indicate it might be a bit lite for my "Non-lite" physique. The one I heard about was from someone named Joe Stapleton, but I haven't been able to find him using Mr. Google.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #11

If you use the solo height should not be a problem. Very little/no bend and puts the support right where it is needed. In my opinion any support higher than lumbar height is counterproductive. Also solo height is shorter and easier to get your leg over. Just my experience. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #12

https://www.utpr.com/vulcan15classic.html

This backrest may suit your needs. As for a seat. Russel gets my vote. But $$$$

As for Joe Stapleton says hes on facebook.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48653
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Last edited by plumber63; 01-26-2021 at 04:05 PM.