Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Classic seat on a Nomad?

Will a 1500 Classic seat fit on a 1500 Nomad?

thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Check the part number on ronayers.com microfiche.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Yes, it will fit.
When I first bought my Nomad, it had a seat on it, looked like a custom seat, it was just a medeival torture device just looking like a seat. Not bad, but for anything longer the 2 hours, it would leave you in agony.
I remember reading a roadtest of the Nomads that the Vulcan stock seat was one of the best in the business.
I checked one of my favorite Salvage yards close to B'ham, Al., they had a stock drivers seat. (Drivers seat of a twin seat pr.) I bought it, put it on, it was like floating on a cloud compared the other.
I liked the style of the Leathermen Renegade Solo, so 1 year later, I ordered one. Crap, it was just as bad as the first one....found out it was a custom one done up by
leathermen....

As long as it has the engagement 1/2 cup at the front to slide over the location washer up front, and the twin bolts to the sides, your stock seat brackets will bolt up....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-27-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Thank you - I was actually looking at a used Classic seat (Mustang) for my Nomad. Not sure what I want to do yet.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

If I can ever find the 1/8" leg staples for my gun to do it, I'm gonna redo my seat with stiffer rebond foam and more layers. I bought a second seat just for the purporse, for backup in case I mess up, and to use as a guide to shape the new one. Of course you can also get new vinyl but that little half-moon shape means sewing.

Something to consider. The foam is pretty cheap.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Well, I have found out the hard way, if you want to be comfortable riding on a motorcycle, it is imperative to have a good seat. Just looking cool on a bagger isn't gonna cut it. I don't go for all the frilly stuff, I prefer function or fancy....
I tried for a couple of years to live with the seat that came on my bike. Evidently, the person that owned it either didn't ride long distances or they were kin to 'The Duke', John Wayne or maybe Clint Eastwood.
I ordered the Leathermen Renegade, it was suppossed to be a 'Touring Seat'. Maybe good for going to the mall.
I tried it on the bobber....nope....I put a stock (solo) seat on it, too. I liked the looks of the Mustang solo, too. I didn't want to drop all the money and have the replay of the Saddlemen issue. I LOVE their bags (Leathermen), tool pouches, etc, but they suck when it comes to seats. I put the thing up on a shelf in my shop, was gonna have it redone, but no-one wants to touch it, they prefer the stock seat pans so I had let it sit....Finally, a few weeks ago, I mounted it to my rollaround stool....perfect....
And pads? Nope, sits me up a little too high....like sitting on a hemmaroid cushon, changes up the seating position to the handlebars. Maybe a sheepskin like Hammer uses....
I can say this, I have a vulcan 800 seat mounted to my other rollaround stool....everone loves it!
I weighed hard and heavy between a Ultimate and a RDL seat. Ultimate has at least the option of having theirs redone if its not comfortable. They are comfortable and worth the money!!!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-27-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I have a 79211 Mustang seat and want to see if it will fit my 2000 1500 Nomad 1500 FI

Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I called Mustang and he said it's a no-go - He said it mounts different. :(

Old 09-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
I have a 79211 Mustang seat and want to see if it will fit my 2000 1500 Nomad 1500 FI
Quote:
I called Mustang and he said it's a no-go - He said it mounts different. :(
What does Mustang say that model # is designed for, if it was a 1600, then there is a difference.
A 1500 Nomad has a mounting bolt on each side near the rear of the seat and a 1600 has one bolt in the centre rear.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-28-2016, 01:44 AM   #10

2000-2005 I believe are all the same....and the classic is just the base model, should fit. Take a couple of pics of the bottom of the seat and post them. We could verify it. As long as its got the 2 bolt holes on the sides toward the back, it'll fit....
They say the Progressive spring won't fit the Nomad 1500 FI's, too! They say the Carb models only. Now what the hell kinda bull is that, the forks aren't diff. between the carb & FI's.... The 1600 front fender trim fits, same with alot of other parts. The 1600 is just a stroked 1500....engine wise.
The basic bike, forks, engines, frames, swingarms, and most all mounting points are the same. The main diff.'s between a classic and the Nomad are # of disc brakes up front, # of alternators, mags instead of spokes, color schemes, Internal diff. with tanks, exhaust systems but most bolt up the same except for exhaust. Differences-Wiring harnesses, fuel systems, ecu's, internal diffs with tanks, rear exhaust mounting of the nomad, (attaching to saddlebag brackets) some chrome triple tree add-ons/brackets for windshileds, etc.....
Also, a big diff. is the heaviness of the frame up in the neck area, its reenforced to deal with the added weight of a fully loaded cruiser. Tubing is heavier....
I was wanting to mount the drifter fenders to mine....its still a on going thing....

A couple of years ago, I almost bought a drifter, wanted to put Nomad bags on it, with a batwing fairing....kinda a modern Kawasaki/Indian Hybrid.
There was this fella on one of the other Kawa sites that had a detailed writeup how to do it....putting the nomad bags and brackets on a Drifter. Looked like it was made for it! Its involved but doable.
The drifter front fender will bolt up, but it doesn't have the cutout for the other disc brake. Also, the rear fender mounted to the swingarm, with the rear fender brace. I'm gonna mount the fender to the frame, rear fender brackets coming off the bag brackets in the same way the drifters brackets attach to the ring-gear housing at the rear of the swingarm.
I'm gonna eventually do it, but I have alot of brackets and adapting to do. I've spent many, many weeks looking at parts and pn#'s....
Things between the classics and the nomads (interchangability) aren't as bad as some folks make it out to be.....mostly the MFG'ers....

Originally Posted by alwhite00

This seat is the # you gave me from Dennis Kirk. See the 2 side brackets? It'll fit! That front mount slides under the washer in the front, you may have to trim it slightly, but it will work....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-28-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #11

1500 Classic FI's and 1500 Nomads are basically the same bike. Seats will swap......I had Nomad seats on my Classic before I got the Corbin. The part numbers are different. Foam density I believe is the difference.

Speaking of which, I traded the Vulcan and have a Corbin Dual Tour for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
1500 Classic FI's and 1500 Nomads are basically the same bike. Seats will swap......I had Nomad seats on my Classic before I got the Corbin. The part numbers are different. Foam density I believe is the difference.

Speaking of which, I traded the Vulcan and have a Corbin Dual Tour for sale if anyone is interested.
Sent you a PM

Old 09-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Sent you a PM
Got it and answered............

Old 09-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
Got it and answered............
Back at cha'

Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

I'll get some pics taken and texted today...............