Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Crying 1500l1 engine click on 2000 model

shortly after purchasing bike with 25k,there was a slight click at idle and low rpms.it has progressively gotten louder.i purchased 2 yr warranty so at end of 1st season,i took it to dealer where kaw had them run top end cleaner to clean out carbon build up but no improvement so i took it back at end of second season when they disassembled engine to find scored pistons,worn crank and bearings,etc(caused by running on dirty or low oil supposedly).these parts were replaced but still have the clicking.does this clicking sound like what the camshaft adjuster extentions would fix? are these 1500 engine normally noisy(like the dealer says)? i now have 48k and fear what this noise will be like in another 25k.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

These engines are noisy. When it was dis assembled I would think the dealer would have spotted the cam chain if it were making the noise. The chain will wear on the spark plug tubes, but I doubt it would be a clicking sound. You could check the tensioner position yourself or another way is to unscrew the spark plug tubes, for signs of the chains rubbing on the tube. I'm not sure if yours is the same, but there are air solenoids under the right side dog bowl that click and clack at odd times.
Many guys disconnect them when doing intake mods. You could unplug the wires to them and see if that is the noise you are hearing.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

For what it's worth, I also have a 2000 Nomad Fi, bought 6 yrs ago with 25k, started clicking sound like you described at around 40k. Installed cam chain adj extenders at about 46k. The engine ran quieter overall, but the clicking remained. In June we did a 3,200 mile trip from Arkansas to South Dakota and back, lots of freeway miles at 70+ mph. During the trip, the clicking went away and has not returned. I wish I knew why, but I don't. Matter of fact, the bike runs better after that long haul than it ever has. I now have 53k on the odo. I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic Vtwin oil.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Crying 1500 clicking sounds at low rpms

does the clicking become much more noticeable when lugging the engine?(like going a steady 6 mph in 1st gear)

Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Mine has always "clicked"

As long as it is running strong, with plenty of torque and all, I wouldnt worry about it.
Every Kawasaki I ever looked at had that same clicking sound.

They tell me it is normal for these bikes, and mine runs like "a scalded dog", so all is good! Regular or high test gas, makes no difference to me.

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

I have an 02 1500 and have the noisy situation too. I didn't notice this on my 4 hr ride home when I bought the bike. Started it up after sitting for the winter and the first thing I hear is a clicking or tapping. Like the oil wasn't getting to where it should up top. Running some sea foam through it to see if it makes any difference. Almost seems like it is comes and goes. I know any engine is more apt to make some noise if you lug it, but this seems like it doesn't matter, like it has a mind of its own.
By the way Roadhawg, like the Bikeweek pic.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

same noise here...I may record it and put on youtube for comparison. Its annoying at best, but the engine is still strong, no issues. Seafoam did not help and it didnt quieten down after oil change to T6 synthetic. I usually run about 70 mph and its still noticable.
???

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195