Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
Advanced Member

A Great Ride

If you're anywhere near the AZ/NM border, give Rte 191 on the AZ side a go. Living south of Tucson, we spend the night in Safford and start from there. Head North on Rte 191 through Clifton and take a deep breathe, because if you continue you are in for a breathtaking ride through a monster mine in Morenci, AZ. Rte 191 goes right through the vast mining operation and it is spectacular. Make sure you gas up in Clifton or Morenci because it's a long way to the next pump. Passing through the mine leads you through the Apache Nat'l Forest, on the twistiest road you've probably ever been on. It is not for the faint of heart. Many of the turns on this part of 191 are 10mph u-turns and there are very few guardrails to save you. If you go off the road, enjoy your flight cuz you won't like the landing. Pay attention to the warning signs: they mean it. I swear I see my own tail lights on some of the curves. As you progress, the scenery and mountains just get better. There is every sort of wildlife, including elk. If you're on a low bike and you lean down on the tank, you can probably drive under an elk's stomach. Otherwise, the elk will most surely win. We usually get off 191 at Alpine (gas, convenience store, restaurants) and head into NM on Rte 180 and head south to Rte 78, back to Rte 191 and our motel in Safford. If you stay on Rte 180, it will take you to Silver City, NM, a pretty neat town. The Safford to Safford circle is pretty much an all day ride due to the sometimes very slow going. Watch out for wildlife and watch your gas gauge. There can be some awfully long walks if you run out. And, our first foray down 180 to Silver City, on a moonless night, it was pitch black...don't ask me how I know. I must say though, we finally heard the roar of a pickup coming towards us. It was almost to us when the driver spotted my lone turn signal blinking and swerved off the road, slammed on his brakes. Dust and dirt and rocks flying, a figure leapt out of the truck. He was about 20ish, large and rotund and wearing an outfit of plaid Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and cowboy boots, topped off with a cowboy hat. I wasn't sure if I was glad someone stopped or not, but when I told him we were out of gas he took a five gallon can from the bed and slammed it to the ground, explaining in rather colorful terms that it was empty. Before I could say anything he threw it back in the bed and announced he was heading for Silver City and would be back in an hour with gas. He didn't want money, but finally took a $20 bill. His departure was nearly as exhilarating as his arrival...spinning tires, dust and rocks were flying. I looked at my partner and we crossed our fingers. Sure enough, almost exactly and hour later, we saw lights and heard the roar. We took cover as he slid to a stop, leapt from the truck and presented me with my change and hauled out the gas can. I only took a little more than enough to get to Silver City and insisted he keep my $9 or so dollars change and the extra gas. There are some good people left in this veil of tears.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Tortuga; 10-15-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #2

Nice to hear good stories like this one, They need to happen more.
Can't judge a book by it's cover.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 10-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #3

Good to hear. Part or that was on my route for this summer trip till it this covid happen and shut everything down. We were starting the day from Carrizozo up 380/60 to 12 down to 180 to Three Way then up 191 Stopping in Springerville, 420 miles.
Hopefully that trip will happen next Summer. 21 day and @7800 miles.
When laying out a long trip, gas stops are a high priority when traveling across such wide open spaces.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 10-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #4

Sounds like a great ride!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 10-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #5

Depending on which way you are going get gas in Alpine or Morenci because there is nothing in between. It's a pretty ride but the hairpins fit exhausting after a while.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Login or Register to Remove Ads