Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #16

Regional Summer Rides I Will Be Doing

Hey Greg, All these rides look like fun, I will hook up with you as i head west from Huntley.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #17

I am just about to go nuts without riding.

I am listing my available dates for the rides I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I do my best to take enjoyable/scenic rides at casual cruising speeds -- so speak-up on some dates you are able to join-in. (I will be mentioning some other trips to the original list soon for additional options.)

Specific "rides" are not listed for any date. Once I get an indication of who, if anyone, may want to ride I can determine the most ideal ride based on location of those joining.

If no one joins-in; then you can expect me to be riding two-up with my wife on these dates. But I hope some of you can find dates where you can come along!!!

(** indicates shorter ride date; ## indicates overnight ride dates; @@ indicates optional for shorter or longer overnight ride)

MAY
2-3**; 16-17**; 23 thru 25th## (Memorial Day Weekend)

JUNE (13th thru 20th in Custer, SD KawaNOW Rally)
6-7**; 27-28**

JULY
3-5## (4th of July Weekend); 11-12**; 18-19@@; 25-26@@

AUGUST & SEPTEMBER Most weekends are open and optional for longer or shorter rides.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #18

If you don't mind Liz and I might try to come up and make some of your rides. It is closer for us to come up there than it is to run down to Arkansas, Texas, etc. We have been to several of the Boscobel, WI. VROC rallies and enjoy riding the area very much. We are about 5 hours south west of Dubuque. We could ride up there on a Friday night and meet you guys somewhere Saturday morning. We would just need to be back in the Dubuque area no later than 2 pm on Sunday to get back home at a decent time.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman
If you don't mind Liz and I might try to come up and make some of your rides. It is closer for us to come up there than it is to run down to Arkansas, Texas, etc. We have been to several of the Boscobel, WI. VROC rallies and enjoy riding the area very much. We are about 5 hours south west of Dubuque. We could ride up there on a Friday night and meet you guys somewhere Saturday morning. We would just need to be back in the Dubuque area no later than 2 pm on Sunday to get back home at a decent time.
watchman; let me know if any of the dates I mentioned are any you are interested in so I can set it aside. I would assume you would be looking at an overnight ride (Friday and Saturday) to make it worth your while.

I listed several dates that I could do longer rides; although a couple of the Saturday/Sunday dates we could turn into an overnight situation. Given you and Liz need to leave earlier on Sunday to get back; we could look at a ride that makes a swing through the Southwestern part of Wisconsin -- like say up to Prairie du Chien/Boscobel, WI region -- cross over the Mississippi and then head back south.

I can't remember it at the moment; but there is a really quaint town along the river there that has a decent hotel and is an interesting overnight stopping point.

Then Sunday we could continue the trip back down toward Dubuque, IA so you can take off in time to get back.

That would be a really nice ride in some great roads and scenery. Let me know!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #20

Sounds like your are describing Guttenberg, IA. Beautiful little town down in a valley by the river. Also not far from Gunder, IA. home of the Giant Gunder Burger and St. Olf, IA. with the Giant Tenderloins.

Liz is having trouble getting any vacation time off because her co-worker is expecting a baby June 12th. Her company does not want her to take off on Fridays and right now she has to work every 3rd Saturday, so we are planing weekend rides. She is taking the first full week May off and we are heading south and then make the South Central Nomad rally in Eureka Springs, AR. I will take your dates and work them on our calendar and see what we can come up with. Thank you for including us.

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman
Sounds like your are describing Guttenberg, IA. Beautiful little town down in a valley by the river. Also not far from Gunder, IA. home of the Giant Gunder Burger and St. Olf, IA. with the Giant Tenderloins.

Liz is having trouble getting any vacation time off because her co-worker is expecting a baby June 12th. Her company does not want her to take off on Fridays and right now she has to work every 3rd Saturday, so we are planing weekend rides. She is taking the first full week May off and we are heading south and then make the South Central Nomad rally in Eureka Springs, AR. I will take your dates and work them on our calendar and see what we can come up with. Thank you for including us.

Jim
Understood Jim. Just let me know if you can or want to; and when.

Also; I believe you're right on Guttenberg.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #22

Greg,
We'd like to meet you all for an overnight ride on Memorial Day Weekend. Our choice is your proposed Galena, IL to La Crosse, WA ride, as we would like to ride along the Ol' Miss. If that would fit into your plans, that would be great. I'll ride my Nomad, but my wife likes to drive her Mustang and run sweep. We'd meet you in Galena, IL on the 23rd. Hope we can do it!
Dave

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #23

BnG: That date sounds fine to me for that ride.

That ride is basically a two-day ride. From Galena we will arrive mid-afternoon or better in LaCrosse (depending on the departure time from Galena). If it looks like we are going to arrive early -- then we could ck-in the hotel; and then head back out for more riding around that region, which should be good.

Reserving hotels rooms -- at least in LaCrosse -- may be an issue for that weekend since LaCrosse has a U of W campus -- causing holiday weekends to pack the rooms.

So... send me a PM if you and your wife are committed to doing this; because we can then discuss rooms; and make reservations. It would not be too early to do this soon. (I have only stayed in one hotel there; but I am sure there are other choices within the area that we could check on.)

Anyway... let's confirm it and make the reservations. Lookin' forward to this BnG; and meeting your wife. (My wife, Kendra, will be riding two-up with me.)

To any one else interested in joining-in; try to make this trip if you can. It should be a fun ride.

Just let us know soon so we can get this planned and rooms booked.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #24

Already confirmed with my wife (Donna) and we will be there. How do I find your email address to PM you? Thanks, Dave

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #25

Never mind about how to PM. I just found out and sent you a message. Thanks.

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy aka Dave Mills
Never mind about how to PM. I just found out and sent you a message. Thanks.
We are "on" for that weekend BnG. This should be a great ride. Hope others can join-in. A couple other members have expressed an interest. We'll see.

Sounds like you're getting in a lot of riding this season. Sounds great and has to be the envy of many, including myself. Oh... to be retired!! :) Not sure what that must feel like at this point yet.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #27

Yep, we are looking forward to that "Mississippi River Ride".

In three days I'll take off solo to Alabama where I will visit a friend who served with me in the USAF over 20 years ago!! From the looks of the wx I think I will get rained on a bit. I'm prepared for it. It's the hail I have a problem with. Ha Ha
BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy aka Dave Mills
Yep, we are looking forward to that "Mississippi River Ride".

In three days I'll take off solo to Alabama where I will visit a friend who served with me in the USAF over 20 years ago!! From the looks of the wx I think I will get rained on a bit. I'm prepared for it. It's the hail I have a problem with. Ha Ha
BnG
Looks like it will be just you and I on the ride; which is fine. Everyone else is either already obligated on those dates or didn't respond.

It will be an enjoyable ride for certain. There just aren't too many great areas to ride in the Midwest as a general rule -- but that area rates fairly high.

I typically try to do it twice a year. Got my room reserved so we are ready to go.

Sounds like you will be traveling through some great areas on your way to Alabama. Should be a lot of fun for you.

Ride safe and we'll see ya when you get back.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #29

Gl , the wife & i might be able to go on the memorial day ride . I only have a couple vac days left so if i am able to save them i plan on taking them that week . We still have 2 boys at home so anything can happen . We would be leaving friday afternoon to get to galena . That is where you are starting from ? I wont know for sure until a couple weeks . Ill start checking hotels in galena to see what the status is there . You are staying over in wisconson saturday & riding back to galena sunday ? If so then we will spend sunday night in galena . Ill let you as soon as possible . What kind of weather can we expect this time of year ?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #30

Jeffm;

That would be great if you and your wife could join us.

There is a Best Western in Galena; which would be your best bet if you are staying there.

We are starting in Galena in the morning on Saturday tentatively around 9 - 9:30. We planned on meeting at the Best Western at that time to begin our travels northward to La Crosse. (BnG and his wife are staying at the Best Western.)

We are staying in La Crosse on Sat night at the Marriot. The Marriot is a bit pricey compared to some other options; but that is what we decided on and have made reservations already. You certainly could choose another option if wanted. (La Crosse is not that big so anywhere would be fairly close.)

The ride via a car from Galena to La Crosse is approximately 3.5 hours. We plan on taking our time on the bikes and making a few stops along the way -- thus the total time should be closer to 5 - 6 hours -- which would put us in La Crosse around 3PM. We'll ck-in; take a break. If anyone wants to ride around that area a bit more; we could do so -- otherwise; we'll have some "re-hydrants"; find a place to eat; and then call it a night.

The ride back will start after breakfast, and will be on the Minnesota/Iowa side of the Mississippi River heading south. It is equally as long and we will be stopping along the way now and again.

Galena is the beginning and final destination point.

Anyway; that is the general plan. I have done this ride before and it was very enjoyable for my wife and me. You should enjoy also. I have maps of the route already prepared.

Let me know via a PM it you think you can make the trip.

PS: Don't know if you have ever been to Galena; but it is one of the more interesting towns you'll come across -- and the area has some great riding among the many rolling hills and vistas. If you are going to head to Galena on Friday, you may want to spend a bit of time exploring the town a bit -- especially the "old" downtown.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417