Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #1

Regional Summer Rides I Will Be Doing

I haven't figured out dates for these trips yet; but wanted to start posting some of rides I plan on taking this season. I have been in all of these areas multiple times - thus know the areas well.

Galena, IL Area Ride: This is more of a day-ride within the Galena area; and then around the area. Those that would wish to spend a night could do so. There is not a starting point for this ride. It is rather a destination point ride. For those coming from the East of Galena; we can determine a starting-point from which to meet and ride to Galena together (I live East of Galena by 85 miles) Others that may join in can decide among themselves on their starting-point. This area is absolutely beautiful with large hills, valleys, and vista-views. If you haven't ever been to this area -- it is a must see on a motorcyle. If you have been here before... then I don't need to say any more.

Galena, IL to La Crosse, WI: One of the longer (2-day overnight) regional trips I will be doing. The starting-point will be in Galena, IL. Likely I will be doing this one twice with a bit of variation between the two trips. One will hug the Mississippi River heading north. The other will go more inland into the hills of Southwestern Wisconsin heading north. We will be staying in La Crosse overnight. In the early morning, we will cross over the Ole' Miss into Minnesota and then travel south down on through Iowa along the river as much as possible. We cross back over the river at DuBuque, Iowa and on into Galena to end this trip. This trip will take you through some of the most beautiful hills, scenery, and bluffs in the Midwest; and plenty of small quaint river towns. Most all of the roads are some of the best you'll ever ride on.

Spring Green / Devil's Lake, Wisconsin Ride: This ride starts in the general Rockford, IL area (yet to be determined and would be based on those that participate -- or don't) This would be a very long day ride. This ride takes you to the area of one of the homes of the famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright's -- Taliesin East. This area is part of the unglaciated area of Wisconsin; which is known for its beautiful hills and valleys. We will continue the ride from there on the North side of the Wisconsin River heading East -- then return back South toward our starting point. (For those willing and not too tired yet; we can travel on up and around Devil's Lake from that point which is an extremely uniuque lake formed by glacier activity with high rock cliffs -- absolutely beautiful.) The area and the roads make for fantastic riding and scenery; to include several crystal-clear spring-fed creeks with trout. You shouldn't be surprised if we see one or two sports-car clubs taking to the twisty-roads of this area.

Now; these are only three of the regional-rides I will be taking yet this season. Any one that would like to join-in is more than welcome. I realize most of you are from distances relatively far from these locations; but don't let that stop you if you have the time to make one or more of these rides.

If you are from the "flat-lands" of Illinois; Wisconsin; Iowa; or elsewhere -- then these rides are a must see for you.
I will be posting some dates soon if anyone wants to join-in. I will have printable maps made-up that I can email to anyone interested.

For those that would like to make the trips yourself -- let me know and I can send you my maps and possibly give you some suggestions for your trip.

Until then... think 70+ degrees!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #2

Greg,
I don't see Custer listed there.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #3

Where do these rides leave from ?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #4

OP: Custer was an assumed ride. I'll be there. Booked my room at the Bavarian for Sat June 13th. We will leave Sat June 20th. We are trailering out (wife will not ride that far); so I thought I would get there early and do some extra riding in the area.

Meanstreak: I will modify the ride's starting points in the original post. But the La Crosse ride starts in Galena (unless someone is coming from East of there; then they can meet up with me on the ride to Galena.) The Galena ride is more of a destination; whereby it is intened to ride around that area because there are plenty of great roads to travel once there.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #5

I will be riding to Ohio sometime this spring to see family. I would gladly take a short detour to do some riding up that a way.I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #6

I'd sure like that Galena/LaCrosse ride, Greg. My wife and I (she drives her Mustang) can come east on highway 20 and stay overnight and meet you all at Galena in the morning. The next night is in LaCrosse. On the way back we'll probably peal off at DuBuque and head home ourselves. Man, that sounds like fun!!

I'm planning a ride to Alabama and back during 29 Apr - 6 May. And of course the Custer Rally starting out on 14 Jun. From there we travel to Montana, meet some Washington State friends and ride to Saskatoon, SK, then back home by 30 Jun.

Geez, I hope I can go to sleep tonight! Dave

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
OP: Custer was an assumed ride. I'll be there. Booked my room at the Bavarian for Sat June 13th. We will leave Sat June 20th. We are trailering out (wife will not ride that far); so I thought I would get there early and do some extra riding in the area.

Dude that rocks. My wife won't ride the 6 hours to get there so we are trailering as well. We are going to arrive Wednesday the 17th and will leave the following Wednesday. We are staying in Custer for all but the last night. The last night we are in Deadwood to repeat the first night of our honeymoon. Dinner at the Deadwood supper club and a stay at the Strawberry B&B.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #8

Greg, I am up for ALL of them! I am so ready to ride.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy aka Dave Mills
I'd sure like that Galena/LaCrosse ride, Greg. My wife and I (she drives her Mustang) can come east on highway 20 and stay overnight and meet you all at Galena in the morning. The next night is in LaCrosse. On the way back we'll probably peal off at DuBuque and head home ourselves. Man, that sounds like fun!!

I'm planning a ride to Alabama and back during 29 Apr - 6 May. And of course the Custer Rally starting out on 14 Jun. From there we travel to Montana, meet some Washington State friends and ride to Saskatoon, SK, then back home by 30 Jun.

Geez, I hope I can go to sleep tonight! Dave
Dang, Dave, it sounds like you have a great summer of riding ahead of you! That is awesome! What part of Montana are you riding to? Both Glacier and Yellowstone are amazing places to travel on two wheels.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #10

Prairie Cruiser - From Custer, we'll go to Great Falls, MT, then back NE to Glasgow, MT. From there we'll head N to Moose Jaw and then Saskatoon, SK. Then back SE to Iowa through Minnesota. It's gonna be a dream-ride. Wanna come too? Dave

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #11

Wow Dave you better bring your moose glasses along for all that northern minnesota riding.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #12

That Galena area is a super area to ride. Been there several times myself. I love those flood gates at the entrance to the town. Awesome and hard to believe they were ever needed. My brother-in-law lives in Belvedere, Il. and we make a trip up there about three times a year. If you get a chance take in the Boone County Fair in August. I love to do the county fairs up there. Lots of fun.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #13

Greg....set the dates and we will ride :)

Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #14

Dave, sounds like fun! I'm still unsure if I'll make it to Custer or not. Glasgow, MT, is about 200 miles from where I live. You will have a great time on your trip. Don't forget your passport so you can get back from Canada!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHAINSAW"
That Galena area is a super area to ride. Been there several times myself. I love those flood gates at the entrance to the town. Awesome and hard to believe they were ever needed. My brother-in-law lives in Belvedere, Il. and we make a trip up there about three times a year. If you get a chance take in the Boone County Fair in August. I love to do the county fairs up there. Lots of fun.
Al: I live very close to the Belvidere, IL area. When you come up on one of your trips let me know so we can get together.
It would be great to get to meet you.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417