Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #1

Stepping down as ARL

I have contacted Trip and Ponch about this; and have spoken to the both of them via PM's today.

I will be stepping down as ARL for KawaNow's Central Region due to the fact I no longer own my Nomad. (It was by choice.)

As some of you know... I have been interested in getting a "complete" bagger (with luggage and all) to more accommodate the type of riding Kendra and I do. As you may know, we like to take long rides whenever possible and needed all the storage we could find on a bike.

In our efforts to find a replacement we looked at just about every possible choice out there; to include the new Voyager. Once we looked at all the choices (having road-tested them); we came to a decision to purchase a new '09 HD Ultra-Classic.

We were able to get the HD at a price just slightly higher than the cost of a new Voyager; which was quoted to us at $15,500 "out-the-door". Given the fact the HD had the lowering-package and all the frills imaginable; the price was hard to beat.

The final decision was made though on how all the bikes felt when loaded down -- it had nothing to do with any particular "brand-name" (those of you that know me know that I really don't do for the "brand-name" folly).

For me; the HD provided better stability at critical speeds; which is when I felt the most uncomfortable in controlling a bike -- and was when I would typically get into the most trouble (Dropped the Nomad a couple times at slow speeds).

Comparing the bikes "loaded-down" (two-up and baggage); the bike I bought provided me with the most amount of control and balance. (Remember... I am very short at 5'6" -- 30 inch inseam. The Goldwing was definitely out. The Voyager was the only contender from this perspective.)

So... I hope that no one feels I have abandoned my appreciation for the Nomad... nor that I purchased my new bike based on anything other than "safety". I can tell you already there are sacrifices I am making with regard to shifting-ease; heat of the engine; and maintenance costs. (I am sure I will find other regrets in due time -- to which I will post when I realize what they are.)

Regarding being a member of KawaNOW:

I realize there are some I could have made "mad" or upset during my time here on KawaNOW; however I know I have made a few close friends and acquaintances as well that otherwise would not have occurred had I not been a member of this great organization.

To those I have made mad or upset... I can't really say I am entirely sorry... but rather would say... we agree to disagree... and that is how is should be.

To those I have come to know in person; or via the keyboard... I appreciate it very much; and will do my best to remain in contact. We can still ride sometime when possible!

Trip has been kind enough to allow me to remain a member of KawaNOW as an "Enthusiast Member" which will allow me to check-in from time to time -- of which I will, of course, do. Thanks Trip as losing my membership to this great organization was almost a deal-breaker for the HD purchase!!

Regarding the Central Region... Ponch has asked that I help on organizing the rally for the region next year... something that I am more than happy to do... in fact; delighted to do. In fact; I'll be there as I wouldn't want to miss it.

I don't want to speak for Ponch... however, Ponch will be handling the Central Region's "business" as always as the Regional Leader. He and Trip (if needed) will solely determine how a new ARL will be chosen. There are a few "things" that need to be "ironed-out" in that process; but I assure you Ponch will keep you informed in due-time. Ponch has done a great job thus far and I have all the faith in him to continue to do so for the region.

To all... this is not a goodbye; so much as an expression of my appreciation to all that have taken the time to join me on a few rides; to have engaged me in conversation; to have questioned my thoughts; but most certain of all... to all for just being members of KawaNOW.

Sincerely,

Greg Wilson
Roscoe, IL

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #2

Stepping down as ARL

Greg,
Congratulations on your new HD. I'm sure you will be happy with and proud of your new Ultra. Did you trade your Nomad or retailed it? I test rode 2 Ultras in the begining of this year. One was a Pearl White 110 cu in Screaming Eagle. Both handled really well and both had impressive low end torque. They just felt different. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I kind of felt like I was too close to the tank but the ride was very smooth. Getting right off of the Nomad and onto the Ultra definitely felt different. I'm happy that you are remaining a member. Hopefully you will make the next rally and we can have a couple of drinks together this time. I wish you the best on your new ride and be sure to post some pictures. Take care and keep in touch.

Mitch

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #3

Stepping down as ARL

Hey Greg, congrats on the new ride!
Really glad you'll still be around and hope we can ride together again soon.

Daryl

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #4

Stepping down as ARL

:( Greg- sorry you got rid of the Nomad, but you gotta do what pleases you! My next ride is gonna be a Goldwing. For me it is all about comfort - no need for speed or people pleasing. Good luck to ya!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #5

Stepping down as ARL

oh yeah- thanks for all your efforts on behalf of our region. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #6

Stepping down as ARL

Hey... thanks guys. I appreciate it.

The bike fits well for my needs -- mostly handling at slower speeds -- given my short height. But in all... I have a great deal of respect for the Nomad and always will. It gave me many miles and hours of enjoyment -- taking me to some of the most beautiful places.

Mitch; sorry we missed you at Custer. It was difficult to run across everyone you wanted to meet -- so we'll have to catch-up another time. Hopefully the opportunity will come about soon.

Audiogroove: Thanks. I'll be hanging around still. It would be difficult to miss all the banter that goes on here!

Abbo; sorry we never met -- especially since you are only one state west of me. Maybe you'll be able to come to the regional rally in Prairie du Chien, WI next July.

Talk later. Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Stepping down as ARL

Greg,

Congratulations on your new Ultra Classic. If there was one bike I'd give up my Nomad for, it's one of those.

I really enjoyed visiting with you in Custer and I hope that we'll get to do it again someday soon.

Enjoy your new ride, be safe, and don't be a stranger around here.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Stepping down as ARL

Greg, congrats on the new bike and enjoy it. I don't care what you ride as long as you ride. I have enjoyed meeting and riding with you and Kendra. I am sure we will meet again real soon.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #9

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Stepping down as ARL

Greg!!!! You better not quit posting! And you better bring your short (but taller than me) butt to the next rally! I didn't get to meet you in Custer but I seen you a few times. To many damn tall folks in the way! It's the people that make the group, our beloved Nomads would rust away without us! Heck, ride a Vesper but keep checking in with us I don't have nothing and I'm still here!

You did the same thing the rest of us would have done, and the right thing by stepping down and offering the position to someone else. Thats the kind of people we are.

Kawanow and Forever

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #10

Stepping down as ARL

Greg I am glad you are still going to be here as I have enjoyed reading your post and would miss them greatly, Congrats on your new bike I understand what you are talking about being short as I am 5'7 with a 28" inseam I have dropped the nomad 3 times at almost a dead stop, I bought it because I was having so much trouble with my Gold Wing, so I just lowered the Nomad by 1 1/2" and it made it a lot better. Enjoy your new ride,ride safe and come back often.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #11

Stepping down as ARL

Hey Greg congratulations on the new bike. I understand your choice as I have heard that the voyager is not a nomad with full luggage. I have heard that it is an entirely different motorcycle and for some like yourself doesn't quite fit. It is more important to have something you are comfortable with and feel safe riding. I am glad that I got to meet you and Kendra in Custer since I am not sure that we will make the regional. Don't know yet what next year means for us. Enjoy the new ride and the road and check in often.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #12

Stepping down as ARL

Hey Greg,
Like the others said, congrats on your new ride. I look forward to seeing you on here when you peep in on us. I hope to make the rally you guys are planning. Lord willing and the creek don't rise and the government doesn't take all my dough. I hope to see you there.
Take care and enjoy the ride.
Amy

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Stepping down as ARL

Greg,

Congrats on the new bike. The ultra's are a nice bike with all the goodies. I'll miss you as a tailgunner from now on. Can't have a harley following the pack, when they break down no one will miss you.

Just keep posting. Just ease up on the economics. ::)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #14

Stepping down as ARL

Thanks everyone... I appreciate it. This is without a doubt the best group of people one could hope to be associated with.

I am still absolutely amazed that such a group of individuals were able to get together via the Internet and keyboard.

It is also quite amazing how KawaNOW remains a civil group on the site... as you know how most sites are. That is a compliment to the members and the staff of KawaNOW.

Again... a great group of people that provided my wife and me one of our most memorable experiences in Custer. It was a blast!

Kawgirl; it would be great to see you at our regional. We hope not to disappoint -- however, you should realize, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin is NOT the Black Hills! Ha!

OP; Sorry you won't make it; but then again you might change your mind... you did on Custer a couple times... so I am not counting you out just yet!

Scion0; hope to see you posting again a bit more... and soon on a ride yet this season.

CJ: The bike is nice; but remember, I bought it for my handling and height deficits. If I would have spent some time with Dan at Custer I might not have changed bikes.

Kaw-head; you're right... far too many tall people in Custer! Ha! But then again... everywhere I go there are far too many tall people!

Oldbikers; I didn't get to see you in Custer either. Would have liked to. Appreciate you reading some of the posts I posted -- rather than harass me as Waterman has!

Waterman; Loved the joke... but worry there may be some truth to it! Ha! The dealer told me to keep-up with the maintenance schedule or else I will be walking someday... and not likely when I want to or as little as I want to. I'll heed the warning. Regarding "Econ"... well... I'll do my best to not make you turn your chair around.

So... Trip has said I could be invited as a guest to the rallies if any of you so should decide to be kind enough to do so. If not... I will be stalking the festivities on my own accord!!

Talk later, GREG

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #15

Stepping down as ARL

Greg, I'm sure Jim (Oldbikers) won't mind me doing this, you are invited to our Eureka Springs rally next June. We might have our drinks together sooner than we think. You'll be able to eat some good bbq and gumbo too. I planned on cooking a chicken and sausage gumbo but Darlene overuled me and said it will be a seafood gumbo. That's good by me too. I can whip up either one. By the way, I have always enjoyed reading your very informative political posts. I think many of us have been enlightened by them. Did you get the Ultra yet. If so, let's see some pics.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482