Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 04-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

Update... Future uncertain

Update:

As some of you know who were at the Helen event, I laid my bike down. We got the bike back together with tape and bungee cords, and I road it home. Filed a claim with Geico, waiting for the adjuster to come out. Other than road rash, I smashed my right (throttle) thumb. Thanks to Dixie with his throttle thingy, I road the 860 miles home. Went to the doctor today and I have a fracture that will require surgery (Friday) with pins and screws inserted. Is there an award for riding that distance under that condition? :)

Future Uncertain:

My wife is terrified and wants me to sell the bike after it's repaired. (Jim, you need another Nomad). We've been together for 29 years and I have to consider her feelings. I already canceled Custer and gave Wayne first bid on my trailer. Frankly, on the ride home, I was scared %$#$less, and seemed to have lost my mojo and desire to ride.

Maybe I need to give it some time but I don't think my wife will budge. The thing I will miss most are the great people in the Nomad riding community that I've met. You folks are special. ;)

I'll update after the bike and the thumb are repaired.... Thanks..Joe

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #2

Joe,
Hope your surgery goes well. For those of us who could not make the Helen trip, can you tell us what happened? I think my wife would feel the same way if we had an accident. Focus on healing and worry about the rest later. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #3

Hey Joe, sorry to hear you might not ride again. I hope your surgery goes well. Good luck and keep in touch.

Mike

Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

joe, i have been where you are now, my wife and i went down when we lived in Mass, i was in Conn. at the time and had to ride 4hrs home with a badly busted up knee in the dark,, i didnt touch my bike for two months cause i was scared, finally i got back on slowly and rode around the neighborhood til my confidence came back, then slowly went out to the main drag and rode alittle,,, dont think it was you, sh*t happens. you know how to ride,take your time, relax and slowly get back on,,, by the way when we went down i was on my Volusia and now i ride a Nomad. i still have the Vol. just take your time and relax, you will ride again... P.S when i went down i had 25 yrs riding experience even some as a motorcycle cop. so it will happen to everyone just depends how bad. and you had your spill so now its over and you came out not too bad

Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #5

Hey Joe, Hope you get to feeling better, and yes you get a "ATABOY" for riding all the way back home with that busted-up thumb! What ever choices you and your wife make about riding anymore I'm sure it will be the right one! But whatever that is I'm sure everyone here stand behind you on that choice. And I'm here if and when you need anyone to talk to, you are a part of us and family stick together. [GET WELL SOON AND LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP GOOSE]
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks Goose, the friendships I've made through this forum are priceless. Hope you are better also..Joe

Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Tho I don't know you personally, Like everyone else here I consider you friends (who else but my wife would put up with me?).
In my book you get the MRFUNI Meritorious riding award. 800+ miles, I probably would have bagged it. As for your wife give her time to adjust to it all. As for you, give your self time, you went thru some major s#!t, and any type of surgery is major when it's being done on you. Relax, take deep breaths and give yourself time to heal (mentally as well as physically) before you make any decisions.
A speedy recovery to you.

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Joe, sorry to hear that you need surgery on your thumb. I'll be praying that all goes well and that you heal rapidly.

Don't give up too quickly on riding. Give it some time. It's normal to have fear when something like that happens to your loved one. My wife is deathly afraid of motorcycles and I've never even been able to get her to sit on the bike. So far she hasn't forbidden me to ride but I suspect that whenever I'm riding she is praying hard for me.

Whatever the outcome is for you, you will always have friends here.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #9

Joe I hate to hear you will have to have surgery on your thumb. I know that had to be a long trip home with your thumb hurting like who knows what, but wait a lest a month before you do anything rash like selleing your equipment for half of what you paid for it. The worst wreck I was ever in was in a full size truck sitting still on a clear day. I had five back surgeries from it. Hope you heal fast and it was good meeting you.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #10

I feel for you Joe....not just the pain in your thumb and upcoming surgery, but the mental pain and strain you are going through right now.
You also get my vote for the true "hard butt" award for the 800 mile trip home.
You had to be in agony!

Regardless of which way your decision on riding in the future goes, I will respect it.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #11

Joe, what they all said. So we all can learn, let us know what happened. Best of luck on the surgery.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #12

Really sorry to hear you went down man. Hope you heal up fast.
I think everyone who has laid it down is hesitant about riding again...and rightfully so. We all need to consider the inherent risks involved with everything we do, and riding is not without risk.
The one thing I have learned though, is that immediately following any stressful event, whether it's an accident, the loss of someone close or whatever, this is not the time to make big decisions. I think it's best to step away for a season and let yourself heal both physically and emotionally. Then you can make good decisions while seeing things clearly.
Wish you all the best.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #13

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

Joe, I hate to hear this and I wish you a speedy recovery. The last bike wreck I was in was two years ago last November when me and a deer hit each other. It was VERY SPOOKY getting back on and riding so I know how you felt. But I love and enjoy riding so much I had to over come the fear. And because of that wreck, I'm a more cautious rider. And I got a Nomad to. I don't want to persuade you one way or the other, but don't sell your stuff to quickly.

And my wife didn't want me to ride anymore either. She was the one on the back of my Nomad!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #14

Joe,

I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself as well as for your wife. Take care of yourself and I hope for a quick recovery. Riding with you was a pleasure. I agree with Reaper, 800+ miles and rock steady all the way. Give yourself some time. Hope to see you soon.

All the best to you and your family,

Wayne

Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #15

Joe you have lots of friends - give me a call, I know you have my #. Hmmmm, will have to think hard before getting a third Nomad. That might push Leeanne over the top.

Tell ya what, after Leeanne and I get back from our May trip, we will host a ride in at the man cave in Malabar. You come over in a cage, bring Mrs. too. We'll have some wings and watch the dolphins. I'll post it up and see what flies. Of course, you'll be the guest of honor so we can award you with our TOUGH RIDER award.

Jim