Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-30-2009, 04:45 AM   #1

backfiring through throttle body

Please help! I have done the right side caddman mod. I disconnected the solinoids but left them in. Put vance and hines baggers on. I get backfiring through throttle body occasionally. Also with the solinoids disconnected there is still alot of clicking or ticking sound. I have plugged the line for the reed valves. also should I have put anti seize on where the mufflers mate the pipes? I know macmac addressed this in a thread earlier but I can't find it. I do get popping on decel but not all the time. Now comes the biggyquestion.....when I put my pipes on I put anti seize on exhaust threads with flat washer and lock washer. I was never able to get torque wrench to click on 12 ft lbs. My exhaust flanges are both curved in by bolts. did I screw up my install and my pipes? Man I hope not, wife loves the sound of pipes and so do I but I don't like the backfiring. All replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Sharps.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #2

I don't see any mention of a fuel controller. If you have done the intake and exhaust you need to adjust fuel.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #3

Right now I'm not having any pinging problems. Was wondering if Icould do that throttle adjustment mentioned in Gadgets site to give me a little more fuel than doing a fuel controller.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

I would suspect that you have an exhaust leak, probably at the port on the cylinder head. The flanges do tend to bend easily, did you use new gaskets? Try to use a heavier washer if you can, to diminish the bending. I had one cylinder give me a similar problem a couple years ago. I had that pipe on and off a few times before it sealed. It turned out that the old gasket was still in the port and I added the new one on top. It was invisible to see with the soot from the exhaust. once I pulled out the old gasket it was fine.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #5

I will give it the cigarette smoke test and see what i come up with. Thanks again

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Probably that is 12 INCH pounds on the exhaust head pipes, and maybe if you got lucky you just bent the flanges...

I would get new flanges ASAP and 2 new gaskets. Forget the lock washer and use 2 flat washers..

Antiseize is your best friend... use it on any stainless parts that bolt and nut up on the threads..

Now maybe that is 12 foot pounds by the book and if you bent the flanges and usea click type wrench the wrench is busted! So far I never saw a foot pound wrench that went below 20 pounds!

You NEED a TFI or Cobra fuel modual! You can't do a right side only Caddman and V&H Baggers and not do the fuel modual.

When you set pots 3 and 4 the popping will stop.

'If' the ISC's are disconnected get caps where the hoses go and cap them inside the air filter center.

What sort of deal did you make the backing plate of?

if i were you I would pull off all the crap hoses under the tank, and cap the reed valve directly, unless you can do Chucksters coasters or make your own. If you make you own they must match dead on the shape of the reed valve bodies, and be dead flat..

With care it is possible to use the grapite gaskets over, but you need shorter bolts.

How much shorter depends on what you make. I made my own and used shorted bolts that Chuckster provides, but my plates are thinner than his, by 1/16" or so.

My bet is this popping is the mix is so lean it fires on occasion before the intake valves are closed.. Way too hot!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #7

Is your back fire through throttle body one that happens when coming off idle??? or does it happen other engine speeds.
I had the poping, a mild backfire when mild throtle applied at idle, for a while. Went to the dealer about it, he was going to solve with PC III and a "dyno based performance tune" for only $850.
Guy in parking lot told me that 800-900 rpm idle in manual was misprint and 1600's should idle at 1100-1200 RPM. I moved mine up to 1150 RPM (used a inductive meter) and have never had problem again
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 AM   #8

It is an inch pound torque wrench. macmac you said get new flanges, the rear was put on at factory, do I file down that tab weld that holds flange on pipe? and why can't I reuse the flanges from the old factory pipes they look much better quality

Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

I am confused in terminology I guess.. To me the flanges that would get bent tightening are the 1/2 flanges that you used as stock parts to mount the V&H baggers... Each 1/2 flange has a mate, upper and lower. Isn't that what got bent?

maybe you can mount these the opposite way and sort of unbend them.

I am not clear at all on filing down anything.... I wouldn't yet...

Did the baggers come with some form of flanges? If so that is the first I know of it.

Did you use new crush gaskets I hope? Are you calling gaskets flanges?

I am very confused..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #10

The vance and hines pipes come with there own flanges that you use. They are one piece not two piece like the stock flanges. The rear cylinder exhaust pipe from vance and hines has the flange installed at the factory and is kept from sliding off pipe with what looks like a bit of weld material place back from flange so the flange will not slide off. Yes I did use new crush gaskets. The vance and hines flanges are much thinner than the two piece stock flanges. Yes I did double check to make sure I had two old gaskets when I took off stock pipes. Hope this explains it better, sometimes I don't type what I'm thinking in detail and I need to so you all can help me out better. Thanks for your patience, Sharps.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

The reason or one of them, I was a bit lost is V&H baggers, 2 sets so far I had/have didn't come with any flanges what so ever, and so stock flanges had to be used.

This is a new feature, sometime after 2006. Ny 01 Nomad was stolen just after doing the V&H baggers and TFI install, and so I bought a 06, which I repeated everything and a bit more adding coasters.

I just did a 07 Nomad up with Road House which also didn't come with any flanges. It got a right side only Cadman, and a TFI as well, plus Chucksters coasters which are very nice and a great deal for the price he gets..

No one can confuse folks like me. I speak a funny yankee, which sometimes seems like talking backwards... So no sweat..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac