Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #1

bafflectomy

did the bafflectomy on my 08 nomad today and took her out for a ride and i was really disappointed in the sound. had v/h baggers on my 05 and the sound was like music to my ears. dont think the stock pipes sound like a v-twin should sound. keep in mind this is my opinion only. getting ready to order v/h asap

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Top Contributor

bafflectomy

once you have V&H pipes rick nothing else sounds quite like them. thats what i own and love the sound. i rode with a fellow nomad that did the cut out and i could even hear his bike side by side riding. but each to their own.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #3

bafflectomy

i totally agree doc its v/h for me

Old 10-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #4

bafflectomy

WOW....But did it sound "bad" ???
How bout better than stock ????
Without comparing to the Baggers....Was it "out of wack" sounding.

The reason I'm asking is because today I bought a 1 3/4 inch bi-metal saw...a 1 1/8 inch dowel...and some black high heat paint.
I just can't bear to start drilling (cutting) the pipes........Really on the fence about this.....What if I don't like the sound because it sounds like sh*t or something.

Man oh Man....What to do.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to scion0
bafflectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFUGIO

The reason I'm asking is because today I bought a 1 3/4 inch bi-metal saw...a 1 1/8 inch dowel...and some black high heat paint.
I just can't bear to start drilling (cutting) the pipes........Really on the fence about this.....What if I don't like the sound because it sounds like sh*t or something.

I have an 07 that I debaffled.... I like the sound but it does seem to run differently.. not bad or less but seems different... not sure I'd do it again if I had it to do all over. (I'm sure this doesn't help you much :-)

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #6

bafflectomy

I have a 2000 and tried it about a week. I didn't like it so I welded them back in. It sounded ok at certain speeds but I was looking for a great sound all the time. I guess I like the loud harley sound or either quiter pipes. JMO.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
bafflectomy

About 90% of all the bafflectomies I've seen on this and other sites are very pleased.

I've seen more disappointed V&H "new" buyers saying the exhaust is too loud and don't like the drone on the highway for more than about an hour. There are many sites dedicated to silenceing the V&H pipes with either a metal flashing around the baffles or different mufflers.

To each his own. Bafflectomy adds only a deeper sound not much louder. V&H offer a really "tough" deep baratone sound that is plenty loud if that's what your after.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #8

bafflectomy

I did the baffelectomy on my 2007. I like it a lot. It sounds like a motorcycle should sound. NOT to LOUD but a deeper rumble. People can ride behind me all day without getting a headache
My neighbor even commented on the sound. His words were, " man that is a nice sounding motorcycle"
If I had the choice of doing it again or not, I would definitely do it again.
I have been on this board even before the baffelectomy was thought of. Once people started doing it I have only heard of a very few who didn't like the sound. The people who thought it was going to make the Nomad sound like a Harley ::) Nothing is going to make the Nomad sound like a Harley.
The other group were the ones who wanted an ear splitting exhaust note to piss off the non motorcycling public
You know, the guys who ride down main street blipping the throttle, making sure everyone notices them. Hey look at me, look at me, I am a real bad ass biker ::)
So run those straight pipes and pull ALL the baffles out of your pipes. Ride down main street rattling the windows and scaring little kids. But don't bitch when the town board passes an ordinance and makes you park a 1/4 mile outside of town and walk in
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

bafflectomy

I rode for about 100 miles a couple of weeks ago behind a buddy of mine on a 2007 Street Glide. His exhaust had the most annoying, tinny sounding tone that I eventually had a headache from listening to it. It sounded like a rod knock or something. That's an awful exhaust system! I like the debaffled Nomad pipes. They give it a little deeper tone, aren't much louder than stock and you can't beat the price. That said, unless you can weld, it's not easy to reverse the procedure - so you'd better be committed to it if you attempt it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #10

bafflectomy

There's a sound clip of it here:

Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
Advanced Member

bafflectomy

Quote:

It won't sound like sh*t. LOL

As Blowndodge says the sound is a bit deeper but not louder.

Just recently de-baffled mine and I'm already considering V&Hs. So think about that before you drill out your good pipes. ;)

Also, I'm one of the 90%. I'm happy with the sound, the price and effort needed for the end result was worth it. Just follow BDs instructions and it's as easy as it looks on the video.

BTW Thanks for posting your instructions BD. Looks like the guy in the vid followed your instructions pretty well eh?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #12

bafflectomy

Quote:

WHAT I did was buy a set that was allready debaffled,,KEPT my stockers,,, I like the sound,, NOT too loud ,an I am keeping the Modded pipes on.... LOUD is a PAIN on LONG trips.... So maybe someone will sell their debaffled exhaust! :) Im keeping mine on .... Rich

Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
bafflectomy

I'm another one from the 90% who is happy with the baffelectomy I did on the '06. I've even had my "Harley friends" say how much better the bike sounds. I found it loud enough without being annoying.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #14

bafflectomy

I too removed the baffles..also removed the silencer plates inside the mufflers. No..its not a harley sound. It has a nice idle now and quiet enough when cruising to not be annoying. When I get on the throttle it has a nice raspy bark that is pleasent to hear but not loud. Price was right..noise level is excellent..I can ride all day and not get an ear ache.
I am considering getting aftermarket pipes for mechanical reasons. The stockers really plug up the engine in my opinon. They are too narrow comming from the heads, then go thru a mase called the cat, then narrow out again into the mufflers, then open up again. This is not a good performance system! They are too restricted to breath properly. An aftermarket set up would clean this up..but then I don't want a drone. I've heard too many v/h pipes to realize that I don't want them, so for now I'm thinking about roadhouse duals or cobra billet tips although my bank account is not align to these thoughts...Bdog

Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #15

bafflectomy

to each his own. to me the debaffled pipes have a low drone that is actually louder than my v/h were. i also do not like loud pipes. and to me the v/h arent loud. i always leave the baffles in and rewrap when needed. isnt this a great country where we can all have our own opinions.......