Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Looking to get back on, possibly Voyager

Hello fellow Vulcaneers. Been out of the game for a couple years after riding a 2000 Nomad for 10 years, and a 1997 Vulcan 1500A prior to that. We rode a Vic Cross Country for a couple of years but sold due to health reasons. Now things are better, looking at a good two up long distance bike, and I just can't get used to the Goldwing seating/leg position. Seeing some good deals on used 1700 Voyagers out there, my main question is passenger room and comfort as my wife is usually with me. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Top Contributor

There is not a lot of room for the passenger on a Voyager, especially if you are both on the large side. There is less room than on a 1500/1600 Nomad.

Also if the Voyager has the rear speakers pods on the trunk and your wife is on the large size the speaker pods will restrict her space even more.

My advice would be to try and get a test ride with you both on the bike.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

Can't speak for the Voyager, but no complaints from pillions on my Nomad even with a Grasshopper backrest with pocket. My wife and my daughter alternately ride with me and you could stash their purses between them and my backrest.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 06-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Top Contributor

An alternative to the Voyager would be a 1700 Nomad with a Wompus rack and aftermarket trunk so that you could position the trunk where it gives you more room between rider and passenger. I remember that someone moved the trunk on the Voyager to give more room.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

I have a 2017 Voyager, my wife love to ride on the back of this bike. Sometimes she has fallen asleep on the bike. We just got back from a 7 Days 4125 km ride from Alberta to the Oregon Coast. This is our third season on this bike & we have 30000km and counting. For us the bike is great. I hope this helps you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback, guess we better get out there and try one out!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

My son rides with me and likes the security he feels. He is 10 and has no fear. My wife has ridden a few times and says it is very comfortable. I do have the rear speakers and back rest, have no issues. If you lookin to ride, PM me, we ride a few times a month from central Arkansas.

Hunt, Fish, Ride- REPEAT

Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 AM   #8

My passenger and I found the Voyager a lot more cramped than the 1500 Nomad we had before it. We thought a Mustang might help... Nope. Mustang with rider's backrest was an awesome seat on the Nomad, but on the Voyager it cramped the passenger even more than the OEM seat, and the passenger seat was so flat that she bounced forward into my backrest over every bump and had to keep shuffling back.

I removed the spacers between the trunk and the passenger backrest pad to gain an inch. It wasn't enough. I talked to Rick from Luverne Kaw (who did an awesome job moving the trunk back for a customer) and decided that was simply too much outlay for parts.

But a Russell Daylong saddle has fixed all the problems for both rider & passenger. I had it built asking Russell to give the passenger as much space as they could - similar to OEM, but with room for a rider's backrest. I have modified their Russell rider's backrest a little (it's now lower, with the pad off the Mustang on it) - and it's perfect.

It's a little disappointing that getting this bike perfect cost me quite so much cash, but the seat, along with Ivan's reflash, aftermarket shocks (Öhlins), springs & emulators (Race Tech) - are the outstanding modifications that have made this bike a long-term keeper.

We loved that Nomad, and it was favored over the Voyager and fondly missed for several years after we made the step up a couple hundred cc's. Those modifications I've mentioned were the ones that swung us finally and firmly into the group who prefer the 1700 platform. We wouldn't go back now.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
Top Contributor

My wife never enjoyed the Voyager seating position as much as our 1600 Nomad and she eventually stopped going on the Voyager so I sold it and bought a lighter bike just for me, a 1300 Yamaha V Star Tourer.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #10

I am using the grasshopper backrest on my 16 Voyager. I made some drastic mods to it because it was too thick (about 4 inches) and too high. It felt like it was between my shoulder blades. I removed the leather and all the padding. The padding from the back of it was moved to the front, It is about inch thick. The front padding went in the trash. It was about 2 inches thick. Cut the leather in the back to account for thinner rest and stapled back together. Next, I cut nearly 2 inches from the brace and welded back together. The brace is stainless steel, very strong, be sure to use stainless rods when welding. This lowered it to the small of my back and gave it less spring. By doing this it made the rear seat less cramped. I am very happy with my $75 investment.

Hunt, Fish, Ride- REPEAT

Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
........ My advice would be to try and get a test ride with you both on the bike.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by purepork View Post
Hello fellow Vulcaneers. Been out of the game for a couple years after riding a 2000 Nomad for 10 years, and a 1997 Vulcan 1500A prior to that. We rode a Vic Cross Country for a couple of years but sold due to health reasons. Now things are better, looking at a good two up long distance bike, and I just can't get used to the Goldwing seating/leg position. Seeing some good deals on used 1700 Voyagers out there, my main question is passenger room and comfort as my wife is usually with me. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
I know what you mean about the Goldwing. I got off my 2010 Nomad for a 2016 Goldwing. I was shocked at how uncomfortable the Wing was. I have made it better but its still not as good as the Nomad.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
Top Contributor

I sat on a Spyder F3 today. The front footrests are adjustable fore and aft. They slide on a tube and can be locked in place in the most comfortable position for you.
This would be the most viable option for me if I ever decided to change bikes.