Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

My Triple Hi/Lo Headlight Setup:

This thread is simply a response to a PM I received regarding my headlight setup, I was unable to upload pics to my PM so I'm just creating this thread as a simple writeup.

What I have on my Nomad is a triple headlight setup, each capable of adequately lighting the road ahead on its own, and all three utilizing Sylvania ZXE Xenon H4 bulbs with hi/lo beams in unison. I started with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Moto...edirect=mobile

And added these turn signals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Chrome...edirect=mobile

*if you go this route, be sure to seal the turn signals where the wire protrudes, otherwise they will fill up with rain water...

And, finally, I skipped the crappy "for looks" but hardly functional 35w spot/driving lights typically included on motorcycle light bars and instead installed two of these:

https://shop.rycamotors.com/headligh...rim_plain.html

They're Euro-standard headlights which means they have a 5w "pilot" bulb inside, as well as the H4 halogen - more on these later...

I ran, I believe, 14ga wire from the battery through a 20A fuse to the main headlight bucket where it provides power to two relays - one triggered on by the factory low beam wire, the other by the high. The relay triggers have diodes on them because there are some voltage bleed issues if you don't. The relay trigger grounds go to a simple light ON/OFF switch on my left handlebar. When the factory light switch is on the low-beam setting, it triggers the low-beam relay, and when the highs are on, the high-beam relay - simple. When the aftermarket light switch is OFF, the two outer lights are OFF except for the Euro pilot light which I swapped out for an Amber bulb. I find that while riding in town at dusk and night, a center white flanked by two amber lights is far more telling to other motorists that it's a motorcycle they see, not a distant car with another poking out from behind it. I hope this makes sense in the pics below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190522_150420.jpg (97.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20190522_150430.jpg (97.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190522_150503.jpg (97.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190522_150515.jpg (98.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190522_150524.jpg (95.0 KB, 18 views)
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

Thx for the write up and pics, looks good. How are the diodes placed and what size?

Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

The diodes can be placed on the trigger hots or grounds, either way prevents voltage backflow, mine are on the grounds. Relays only draw 250ma to activate so size isn't critical, I grabbed two mismatched diodes I had in my junk drawer.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog