Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #46
Advanced Member

Couldn't you just drill out the sport welds on the OEM rim lamp and remove the L brackets? You would then be able to use a bolt to reattach them if you had to and go back to stock.

The JW Speaker bracket appears to be generic and the same as this and you can save a few bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HID-LED-HE...ZVwvmm&vxp=mtr
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7CC07E/...I33SDD49G271K7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
I tackled the LED headlight today and it is SUPER simple to install so I thought I would do a quick write up. You will have to cut 2 tabs off of the mounting plate of the OE headlight assembly so this will not be reversible without sourcing a new headlight bracket.

I used a J.W. Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight:

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...0-evolution-2/

This is the updated model with better side dispersion properties, these are American made and of superior quality; knockoffs can be had cheaper and there are other name brands as well such as Truck Lite, etc. I'm just familiar with J.W. from the 4X4 community and I prefer the look.

J.W. offers a universal trim ring which I used:

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...ion-2/3156351/

To install:

1. Remove headlight shroud by removing one allen bolt directly under the headlight and gently tugging on the assembly to release top two posts.

2. Remove headlight assembly (4 bolts and the plug)

3. Completely disassemble headlight assembly until you are left with the black ring in the pic below.

4. There are three tabs on the OE bracket, you must remove the ones at the 3 O'clock and 9 O'clock position; the other is fine to stay.

5. Remove the tab at the 6 O'clock position on the J.W. Speaker bracket as it will interfere with the tab that secures your headlight shroud on the OE bracket.

6. Install headlight into J.W. bracket and then install headlight and J.W. bracket into factory bracket using OE trim ring.

*Note* At this point I used some nuts and bolts I had handy to install the OE trim ring rather than reusing the factory push pin fasteners, for this reason I had to slightly enlarge the holes on the fairing when reinstalling; choose a smaller nut and bolt if you don't wish to increase the diameter of the holes.

7. Plug in headlight, reinstall factory bracket with factory hardware and reinstall the headlight shroud.

8. Pimp your new headlight!!

Finished pics are in 3rd post; could only attach 5 to this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap9.jpg (29.5 KB, 51 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #47
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 QQUOTE=kpmhspirit;629543]Ken[/url]

Ken, which ones did you get? I'm looking for good headlight and driving light replacements.

Thanks,
Headlight bulb

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00[/QUOTE]

Did the bulb work with the clip retainer used on the stock bulb? I bought another brand and while the base fit, the fan on the bulb was too close for the clip that holds it in to go back on.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #48

XLock....I do ALOT of nite driving and am always lookin to upgrade my lighting.

I have used for most of the skoots life the PIAA Extreme WHITE h/l bulb and was happy with it as it was better than the stock bulb.

I tried a replacement H4 LED bout a year ago, kindofa primitive bulb that just wasn't enuff. I recently tried the another LED H4 bulb that in some ways was better than the PIAA, other ways it was not. The LED had better side dispersion of light than the PIAA but didn't seem to punch as much light directly out front. If I can combine the assets of both of these bulbs I'll be happy.

Is this conversion you did offer MUCH improved lighting over stock? Was it worth it for the improvement in lighting.

THANX

RACNRAY

Old 11-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #49

Does anyone know if this light would work on the Nomad 1700 light bucket?

John

Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemans1700 View Post
Does anyone know if this light would work on the Nomad 1700 light bucket?

John
If it uses the same bracket, and I think it does, then yes it would work but you would need the same retaining bracket that we used. Best thing to do though is go to the fiche for your bike and for the voyager and check out the stock mounting brackets.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokey; 11-13-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post

I have used for most of the skoots life the PIAA Extreme WHITE h/l bulb and was happy with it as it was better than the stock bulb.

I tried a replacement H4 LED bout a year ago, kindofa primitive bulb that just wasn't enuff. I recently tried the another LED H4 bulb that in some ways was better than the PIAA, other ways it was not. The LED had better side dispersion of light than the PIAA but didn't seem to punch as much light directly out front. If I can combine the assets of both of these bulbs I'll be happy.

Is this conversion you did offer MUCH improved lighting over stock? Was it worth it for the improvement in lighting.

THANX

RACNRAY

I have the PIAA's in my lights up front (inc the driving lights) and love them

Old 11-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLewis View Post
I have the PIAA's in my lights up front (inc the driving lights) and love them
Same here. Much better than the stock bulbs.

RACNRAY

Old 11-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #53

Quote:
Same here. Much better than the stock bulbs.

RACNRAY
Ray what is the model for the PIAA's? Do they have them for the aux lights as well. I could use some lights that are brighter and whiter.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 11-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post
Ray what is the model for the PIAA's? Do they have them for the aux lights as well. I could use some lights that are brighter and whiter.
PIAA EXTREME WHITE is what I use.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #55

I tried this with a copy of the JW Speaker bracket and the adjustment screws stick out way past the face of the black bracket and wont let the stock chrome trim ring fit any where near flush. Do you have a picture of the headlight in the ring before you put the chrome trim ring over it?

Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #56

I don't know where to find the info I need, but will I need an adapter ring for this to fit on my 2009 Vulcan 1700 Classic?

Old 12-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #57
Advanced Member

Reason why is the reflector is design for an incandescent bulb. The light may seem brighter but it is not focused properly. Change the entire unit to get proper light pattern.

Quote:

THANX

RACNRAY

Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #58
Advanced Member

You have to butcher the OEM bracket to get aftermarket LED light to fit. Do a search as someone did it already with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatesp View Post
I tried this with a copy of the JW Speaker bracket and the adjustment screws stick out way past the face of the black bracket and wont let the stock chrome trim ring fit any where near flush. Do you have a picture of the headlight in the ring before you put the chrome trim ring over it?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #59

I went with a a cyclops bulb and decided I didn't even need to add any other light. Daytime is how I would describe the output of it.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ulb-_p_83.html

Old 01-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #60
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatesp View Post
I'm with ya on this one I also bought the jw speaker one and there universal mount and the chrome OEM outer ring is know where near close fitting over the adjustment screws to be sure you dont have to butcher that too!

Last edited by skullbagger; 01-03-2017 at 05:03 PM.