Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #1

Pacific Northwest

I wish I could do a nice write up like trip but I'm not that skilled with the computer. If any one is planning on visiting Washington State feel free to ask me any questions about my journey. I had read articles in motorcycle magazines about highway 20 in Washington (North Cascades Highway). One article refered to it as one of the most scenic highways in the U.S. Me and two friends decided to ride up there from Utah and check it out.

Day 1: Salt Lake City, UT to Baker City, OR. Aprox 500 Miles. We rode I-15 to I-84.

Day 2: Baker City, OR to Goldbar, WA. Aprox 400 Miles. We rode I-84 to I-82 to hwy 97 to hwy 2. Blewitt Pass (97) and Stevens Pass (2) were the Highlights.

Day 3: Gold Bar, WA to Okanogan, Wa. Aprox 250 miles. We rode Hwy 2 to hwy 9 to hwy 20. Rained all day long. If you ever stay in Okanogan stay at the U&I Rivers Edge Motel. Its like staying with mom. Its an old place but its clean and the owner took our wet clothes and threw them in her dryer for us and recommned a great place to eat. At Sedro Wooley we were going to take a detour and head west to check out deception pass and Anacortes. Definitly do it if time and weather permit.

Day 4: Okanogan, WA to Lewiston, ID. Approx 250 miles. We rode hwy 20 to 155 to 2 to 195. Highlights were riding through the Colville Indian reservation (155) Very curvy and scenic. Also great was riding the rural areas of 2 and 195 along the endless rolling hills and wheat fields. "Amber waves of grain"

Day 5: Lewiston, ID to Boise, ID. Aprox 300 miles. We rode hwy 95 to 55. Talk about 100% scenic! The road follows the river down and winds between mountains.

Day 6: Boise, ID to Salt Lake City. Approx 350 miles all freeway.

Here's some pics of the trip: http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...006/?start=all

Total Miles - 2083
Avg price of fuel - $3.13
Avg miles per gallon - 38

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Pacific Northwest

Wolf that sounds like quite the trip to me. I've never ridden west of Missoula, Mt. I keep thinking one of these days I'll get out that way.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
VBA Founder

Pacific Northwest

That's a good trip report, Wolfman. Sounds like you guys had a blast. It doesn't matter how you do the trip report, just that you report to everyone. I like the way you did the report.

Keep up the good work!

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Pacific Northwest

Wish I could've been there with ya Wolfman!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #5

Pacific Northwest

You did a great job wolfman, Sound like an awesome trip!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #6

Pacific Northwest

I've dreamed of following the Lewis and Clark trail, at least as much as you can by motorcycle. I put together a ride map for that day...and you covered some of the same routes. Thanx for the pix.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Pacific Northwest

Sounds like a great trip WM!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Pacific Northwest

Wolfman those are some great pic's and a good job reporting the ride. I bet you can't wait for the next one. Thanks for the day dream.
ride safe.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #9

Pacific Northwest

Thanks Wolfman. The PNW is my favorite riding grounds. 'm planning a similar ride in June, starting in Bend, Or and working our way north through Washington and Idaho. The stretch through the Salmon River Mountains sounds especially cool. Did you make your way over to Hells Canyon? Buck

Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #10

Pacific Northwest

No i didn't check out hells canyon just stayed on 95 and 55. Its a good days ride from Lewiston to Boise riding the back highways and the twisties obviously takes longer than straight freeways esp. when you have to slow down to 25mph going through all the little towns. We left early in the morning and got into boise in the afternoon so you would definitly have time to take little detours off the main road to check things out. you'll have a blast its great riding up there. In the next couple of years I'm going to ride a route through Oregon that I read about in a magazine recently. I can't remeber the exact route off the top of my head but Its well over 1000 miles and involves the coast and pretty much the whole ride is considered "scenic" except for the part through downtown Portland.