Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #1

Help with throttle cables

I recently put new handle bars on. There closer then my previous. I have plenty of slack in my cables. My throttle doesn't snap back and its stiffer to accelerate. I tried to sand down the paint on the new bars hoping that maybe that would help. Is there a way to adjust the cables other then by the grips. It's fuel injected 2007 Vulcan classic 1500. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaminal View Post
I recently put new handle bars on. There closer then my previous. I have plenty of slack in my cables. My throttle doesn't snap back and its stiffer to accelerate. I tried to sand down the paint on the new bars hoping that maybe that would help. Is there a way to adjust the cables other then by the grips. It's fuel injected 2007 Vulcan classic 1500. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
How would sanding down the handlebars help. And i assume there is cable adjustment on the throttle body.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

did you change grips or throttle sleeves ? with some sleeves you have to take a drimmel tool to the housings . loosen the screws on the housing and see if it changes any thing . also do you have a vista cruise on it . (throttle lock)

Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #4

You've put on of them in a bind.

Figure out which one pulls when you pull open the throttle and loosen it at the grip.

Check out a couple of youtube videos on how to do it.

They're better than someone trying to explain how by typing it out.

You may have to try re routing and/or repositioning the cables.

I had to zip tie one of mine to the handle bars after installing the 12" mini apes.

You may want to check at the throttle body and see if there is room to loosen them there, you want about 1/8" of slack or deflection when closed.
VBA 936

Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
How would sanding down the handlebars help. And i assume there is cable adjustment on the throttle body.
If you have seen dirt bike bars they don't paint where the grips go for the throttle because the paint is sometimes to thick and makes the throttle stick or not fit right. That's the reason I tried it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #6

Completely loosen off on your slack adjusters on both your twistgrip and your throttlebody. Lube your cable good. Rerun to get the most slack while looking good. Adjust per manual, leaving about 1/8" of slack at the twistgrip.
Then turn your bars from stop to stop to make sure theres no binding. If thats OK, start her up, turn again stop to stop, if the engine rpm doesn't change, you should be good....
As MAS said, might have to snug one down....
Then fine tune to taste....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Are you sure you did not put the brake assembly too far onto the new handlebars ?
It could be that the throttle tube is now rubbing on the end of the handlebar ?
Try moving the brake assembly a tad closer to the end of the bars and see if that helps.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Something is kinked or too tight. Make sure the cables at the throttle body haven’t jumped the track. If you can’t move the grip up and down to bar a little you’ve mounted it too far up the bar. Loosen the mounting screws and slide down a little. When I put on my 12 “ bars
They were no problem. Make sur the push and pull cables run side by side and don’t twist over each other.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio