Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

how serious is this front end wobble?

Whats up everyone? I have a 2014 Vaquero I purchased last summer I have 250 miles on the thing because I'm contemplating trading it in after reading all these threads on front end wobble. Is this affecting all nomads/vaqueros/voyagers? Certain years? I don't want to be stuck with a bike that I'm constantly having to worry about.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

250 miles total on bike or you have only ridden it 250 miles? Either way it may be under warranty depending on date of sale or if you bought it new last summer.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

It's something that will affect any bike, no matter what brand, if the maintenance isn't kept up with.

You also have to remember that this group, and most groups of riders except for squid groups, are usually made up of older gentlemen.

And older guys, like older women, like to sit around and beat a dead horse way past any point of reason, then down the road someone else comes along and brings the same point up again, and that poor old dead horse gets drug back out and beaten some more.

You Vaq isn't any more susceptible to a front end wobble than Gus's new Harley, unless you refuse to do the required maintenance and keep safe undeformed tires on it.

I've seen guys hear of some ultra rare issue and imagine it happening to them and worrying themselves to death about it.

To the point where riding ceased to be enjoyable for them.

They either stop riding or trade their bike for something else with different imagined issues.

I have a 2003 Nomad with over 140000 miles on it.

It still has the original neck bearings and has never had a front end wobble.

So go ride your bike and don't worry about it.
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 06-21-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
250 miles total on bike or you have only ridden it 250 miles? Either way it may be under warranty depending on date of sale or if you bought it new last summer.
bought brand new last summer. 250 total miles. i fear the wobble.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
It's something that will affect any bike, no matter what brand, if the maintenance isn't kept up with.

You also have to remember that this group, and most groups of riders except for squid groups, are usually made up of older gentlemen.

And older guys, like older women, like to sit around and beat a dead horse way past any point of reason, then down the road someone else comes along and brings the same point up again, and that poor old dead horse gets drug back out and beaten some more.

You Vaq isn't any more susceptible to a front end wobble than Gus's new Harley, unless you refuse to do the required maintenance and keep safe undeformed tires on it.

I've seen guys hear of some ultra rare issue and imagine it happening to them and worrying themselves to death about it.

To the point where riding ceased to be enjoyable for them.

They either stop riding or trade their bike for something else with different imagined issues.

I have a 2003 Nomad with over 140000 miles on it.

It still has the original neck bearings and has never had a front end wobble.

So go ride your bike and don't worry about it.
Advice taken. I am really good at staying on top of maintenance so I guess I'm over thinking this. I guess its time for the ECU to go to Ivan and hopefully my eggs wont scramble as bad due to a cooler running bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

long time reader not much on posting. I have had seven bikes in 20 yrs. all have had a wobble at 40 to fifty mph with hands off the bars. went with all balls and still they wobbled. Don't worry about it. Keep your hands on the bars and get out and ride.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphere0284 View Post
bought brand new last summer. 250 total miles. i fear the wobble.
How much riding experience do you actually have ?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
long time reader not much on posting. I have had seven bikes in 20 yrs. all have had a wobble at 40 to fifty mph with hands off the bars. went with all balls and still they wobbled. Don't worry about it. Keep your hands on the bars and get out and ride.
Something was wrong with all seven of your scoots. You should be able to drop your arms and ride straight at 70+ miles per hour. As long as you have the bike balanced out properly that is.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
How much riding experience do you actually have ?
Been riding since 2006.

2006 GSXR 600 (sold)
2006 GSXR 1000
2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe (traded for the Vaquero)
2014 Vaquero

Old 06-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Been riding since 2006.

2006 GSXR 600 (sold)
2006 GSXR 1000
2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe (traded for the Vaquero)
2014 Vaquero
Well the " Wobble" was just as real with all your other bikes. There is no difference nor is the Vaquero any different than any of the other bikes you have owned. There is "NO UNIQUE" problems with any of the Vulcans concerning "Wobble". Any statements you have read about wobble are the same statements you can find on any motorcycle forum on the internet no matter what the brand. The Vulcans usually have heavy feeling front ends, if you are feeling a wobble in your front, you need to take it in to find out what the problem may be.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Well the " Wobble" was just as real with all your other bikes.
Thats the thing though... With my other bikes and the forums I was a part of I have never ran into numerous threads about front end wobble. Sportbikes are a different animal all together being as light as they are and jackasses thinking they should drag knees on public roads...even so, the front end issues with sportbikes are easily remedied with a steering damper (i.e. Scotts or Ohlins).

Old 06-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Thats the thing though... With my other bikes and the forums I was a part of I have never ran into numerous threads about front end wobble. Sportbikes are a different animal all together being as light as they are and jackasses thinking they should drag knees on public roads...even so, the front end issues with sportbikes are easily remedied with a steering damper (i.e. Scotts or Ohlins).
Has it been an issue for you yet?

If it hasn't been an issue, then don't even think about it.

Otherwise every bump you hit, you'll be wondering if that's the wobble someone was talking about.

No bike is absolutely rock solid, NO bike.

There are too many variables and outside forces.

There's that narrow tire up front that rolls over these terrible road surfaces covered in potholes and bumps that can and will make the front end feel iffy, especially if you hit one off center.

There's that wide tire out back that transfers every little imperfection up through the whole bike.

Then all of the wind interference with all of the fairings and deflectors and everything else on our bikes.

Don't forget the oil in the forks that may or may not be set to the right amounts or hasn't been changed and is shot.

The shocks that aren't balanced and should've been changed 3 years ago.

Just go ride it like you stole it.
VBA 936

Old 06-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:

Don't take both hands off the bars and you will never experience the wobble.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #14

i had wobble, tank slapper when i was 19 or so and had both hands on the bars and i do not know how i did not go down. even bikes in the 80's had the wobble, just ride it
02 nomad 1500 sold

https://epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap...FL.NJ.MD.CT.RI

Old 06-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #15

Mr Atmosphere0284 - I have had 3 Voyagers 2009, 2013, 2014. All three at some point had a wobble if you removed your hands from the bars. As long as you kept 1 hand on the bars it NEVER WOBBLED. Note - they did not always wobble nor did it bother me. It annoyed me (Cause I tend to be a perfectionist). I did find that certain brands of front tires wobbled worse. Least to worse: OEM Bridgestones, Metzler 888, Commander II, Dunlop Elite's ( Have not tried the American Eagle Elites - I love their rear tires).

If you do develop a wobble - first thing I would try are the All Balls Tapered head bearings - They will not replace them under warranty but it removed any wobble on 2 of my bikes. Tightening and greasing OEM bearing is a waist of time (my opinion) - All the dealer ever did was over tighten them and it drove bad.

Right now I have a combination of All Balls Bearings and a Fork Brace that add additional stiffness to the front end. Since I've added the Bearings and the brace - I can remove my hands from bars at any speed with out a wobble.

You need to put some miles on that bike - with only 250 miles you have not had your first Oil Change or first service done. Probably still has the breaking oil in it. Go ride that thing. Keep your hands on the bars (You really should do that anyway). Break it in.

While Ivans reflash is the best thing anyone with a 1700 can do - Don't waist your money if you aren't gonna ride it. It will not solve your perceived wobble issue. Put the $350 toward a bike you will ride.