Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Windshields on Reckless Fairings

I got my Reckless fairing this last week and painting it today. I noticed as someone else has I believe that the windshields are un-shaped acrylic sheet material. So I thought I would pass along how to best install these. I have been making my own replacement windshields for along time and got this advice from a long time plastics person.

After you install your windshield and tighten the mounting crews snug, take a heat gun (less than $20. at Harbor Freight) and slowly wave the heat gun a couple inches from the acrylic and warm the windshield up to a temp just above touchable with your hand. By heating the entire windshield it will relax the acrylic to the shape of the fairing and take the stress out of it. The reason for doing this is that it will change the behavior of the acrylic if something hits it going down the road and how it will break if the worst should happen and I hope the worse never happens to anyone.

When I install my fairing this weekend I will post pics of how to. PS: If you ever cut your own windshield and you notice the milky edge where you cut, then sand it with very fine paper then use the heat gun just on the edges and it will turn the edges clear. Good Luck and Hope this helps.

Login or Register to Remove Ads