Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

Quad Cities

Anyone in the quad cities area ? Me and a buddy are supposed to ride to southern indiana this weekend but it looks like rain down there . I was wondering what anyone thinks the weather might be like up there ? We are thinking of staying in Davenport then riding up to Anamosa & around that area . Any input would help .
Thanks Jeff

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #2

Quad Cities

Hello jeffm;

The weather in Northern Illinois (Rockford area) is supposed to rain off and on all weekend; thus not a promising weekend for riding this far north. I have planned on not being able to ride this weekend. There is a fairly large bike rally in Durand, IL in this area on Saturday -- so I assume the weather will put a damper on their event. Hope not though.

If I were you, with the intention of riding that long of a distance and staying overnight, I would try to continue up along the Mississippi River (Great River Road) all the way up to Galena, IL -- at least to the Savanna, IL area. The further north you go the more "hilly" and "twisty" the roads get. Great roads and vista views.

Be sure to let us know how the trip goes; and if you take any pics. If you decide to go as far as suggested and have any questions; let me know.

Ride safe; and have fun!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #3

Quad Cities

I'm going to a rally in Keosaqua Iowa....in the Burlington area and it looks like rain all weekend,break out the rain gear.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Quad Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm going to a rally in Keosaqua Iowa....in the Burlington area and it looks like rain all weekend,break out the rain gear.
I'm free Saturday! When are you leaving?

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

Quad Cities

Thanks GL . Looks like my buddy doesn't want to get wet . Here in the St Louis area it is 80% chance of rain . If sat. morning changes i might try to head up that way , but not sure till the day gets here . Looked on the net at Savanna , looks like a good ride up there . If not this weekend maybe another one before it gets too cold . thanks again

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #6

Quad Cities

No problem. It would be a long-haul. When thinking about it; I don't believe the roads or scenery would be any better than you can find in the eastern to north-eastern part of Missouri.

I was looking at your location; and wondered why you don't head to Missouri -- particularly just about 3-hours south west of St. Louis. Maybe not this weekend; but certainly sometime when the weather is good.

Ck out a map for the following small state parks in Missouri: Johnson Shut-ins State Park: Elephant Rock; and Sutton's Bluff. The area these three parks are located in are some of the best sports-car; motorcycling roads around and you are only a few hours away from there. I used to drive 6-hours with a group of sports-cars just to drive these roads for a weekend.

Be sure to go into the parks; especially Johnson Shut-ins; and get off your bike and walk back into where the river turns into rapids. It used to be quite a nice place where you can get into the water to cool-off.

Anyway; was just thinking of the that area and thought I would mention it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #7

Quad Cities

I have ridden some of the roads over there . I also work in missouri , one thing is the helmet law , another is traffic . I used to ride on wednesdays after work with guys from work to go get something to eat . So i have seen lot of the roads you talked about ,never been to johnson shut ins . The wifes family lives close to ark. border , just south west of west plains , so we plan to ride down there sometime too. The reason for heading you're way this weekend was to try to get away from the rain . It is pouring here now . No matter where you go in missouri from here traffic is an issue . The roads here in il around where i live are flat with big easy curves , but very little traffic , few police , almost no stop lights . I did have some guys from missouri over for a ride from the scrc , they said they enjoyed it but they like their roads better .

Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #8

Quad Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm
Thanks GL . Looks like my buddy doesn't want to get wet . Here in the St Louis area it is 80% chance of rain . If sat. morning changes i might try to head up that way
I hear that. Stupid hurricanes finally made their way up north. I was going to go to the rifle range tomorrow morning but it looks like that may not happen until Sunday.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #9

Quad Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm
I have ridden some of the roads over there .
As OP said; the weather here is rain now; and is to continue on through the weekend -- mostly due to the hurricanes blowing though.

I hope that IKE'S "rath" doesn't give us bad weather here for the remaining few weekends we have in my area to ride. That would really make me rather *issed! (Mostly I hope it doesn't ruin too many people's lives down in Texas.)

If you ever get to ride in Missouri; I would recommend it; especially the area I mentioned -- well worth the hassle of traffic and whatever else to get there.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417