Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Replacing front cylinder valve cover gasket

Thought I'd put this up since I haven't seen anything about it yet and everybody else is so good about posting up the "little things".

I developed a serious oil leak while on a couple hundred mile ride and lost almost a quart of oil on my right pant leg before making it home.

Had trouble identifying where the leak was coming from since it would only happen at speeds above 55 mph and then blow around so it was hard to tell.

Long story short I pretty much figured it was the valve cover gasket on the front cylinder and ordered a replacement for it. The manual tells you to pull the motor in order to replace it, but I got to looking at it and found it could be done by pulling the seat, gas tank, the hoses for the radiator and marbeling deal, horns and horn bracket and the top part of the radiator. I know it sound like a lot, but it's really only an hour worth of work and way easier than pulling the motor.

It's a bit tricky due to space constraints, but I got it in without taking anything else apart (or pulling the motor) and it solved my leak. Happy to say that for $20 and some easy wrenching I'm riding again and my pant leg is oil free.

Of course if you feel the need (or the rear cylinder is leaking), you'll have to pull the motor for that one.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by danimal2; 10-20-2017 at 11:40 AM.