Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Counter counter steering

Would then be regular steering, like you do in a four wheeled front steered vehicle. Numerous discussions exist about counter steering on a motorcycle, and we ALL do it to some degree, either unconsciously or intentionally. Those of us who do it intentionally can all attest to some moment of riding when it likely kept us in full control and out of trouble. Yet some struggle with it, even riders claiming they are "experienced", in fact those are the worst.

I did a Street Skills class on the small track at Road America this past spring. One of the exercises I have the students do is ride the front straight at a steady 35 mph (minimum) and have them alternately press each handgrip to feel the bike respond and change direction. When I demo this on my BMW R1200RT I do it hard enough to make the front tire hop, but still be in control. Well, I had an "experienced" rider come down the straight, and all he did was lean his upper body side to side thinking that is what I asked him to do. I stopped him, said "its all just in your hands, your upper body stays steady, doesn't move, just alternately press on each grip and feel the bike respond." He make some more passes doing the same thing again.

So, he figures all leaning/directional control is done by body leaning. Which, will, eventually cause a change in lean angle and direction, but VERY slowly. When it comes time to change lean angle and direction you HAVE to countersteer. However you cause countersteer to happen, you HAVE to do it. And, a lot of single vehicle bike crashes are caused by riders STEERING the bike instead of countersteering, and the bike runs wider and out of control. I hope that rider I had in class eventually tried the hand-press countersteer method, because he is definitely and "experienced" rider crash waiting to happen when it comes time he HAS to make the bike take the path needed. If not, he's a rider to claim "the bike just wouldn't make the turn!" No,...he didn't MAKE the bike MAKE the turn.

However, COUNTER counter steering, actually "steering" the bike into the turn can be a method to quickly and accurately control your path IF you do it right and intentionally, and with knowledge of how your bike reacts. Say you're riding a left hand turn, using the left third of the lane, and mid corner lays a big ol raccoon road kill. Don't want to hit that mid turn. So if you relax your palm pressure on the left grip the bike may move enough to miss the critter. But if you actually "steer" into the turn, by turning the bars left, the bike will QUICKLY run wider in the turn to adjust your line. Next time you're out riding a familiar curve, one you really don't have to think it through to make the turn, about mid turn "steer" into the turn purposely and feel how your bike reacts. Could be a good maneuver to know when you need it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 08-17-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:09 AM   #2

Counter Steering can be bit baffling because while riding a on or off road motorcycle you just lean a bit and turn your side towards wherever you want; while in counter steering you have to bit oppose the directions. You have to maintain body level and weight while reversing or leaning.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:28 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Also keep in mind: off road bikes have shorter wheelbase, are hundreds of pounds lighter, and the rider position is much higher (easier body leverage over the bike). A typical road bike requires more direct input at the handlebar when you NEED to have the bike move NOW and not when it eventually responds to body lean.

Just the fact that a significant percentage of motorcycle crashes (not involving another vehicle) are the rider loosing control in a curve, or not staying on the road in a curve. Way too many riders don't understand what to do when they HAVE to do something quick and accurate. By the time the rider reacts he is way too deep into danger.