Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
That's awesome Hoppy, can't wait to see the pictures...

What I'm using is actually a plate that mounts on the bottom of the foot board. My legs are a tab bit longer than yours so I understand not being able to use the ones that mount on the hwy bar without it looking crazy.
I don't know where to get them because they came with the bike, but I will find out and let you know... I love them and use them almost everyday, even on short rides... The location is very comfortable...
I don't know if these are what you are using but they look like something I would like to try....unless others have had bad results with them.
http://www.comfortzoneride.com/colle...awasaki-vulcan

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

I ended up ordering longer brake lines for my 2003 Nomad 1500 from Galfer due to having to stretch the stock line to it's maximum. How does one get to the left side brake line bolt at the junction block? I have plenty of room to access the right side bolt but the chrome cover for the lower triple tree blocks access to the left side bolt. I've tried taking the cover loose but no luck.

Thanks, Hoppy

Old 09-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #3

Hi - A number of posters have said 'not to go taller than 10" apes because even at 10", some cable/wire/hose were tight.' Were you able to install 12" apes without ANY need for cable/wire/hose extensions or modifications? Any thoughts on why some say don't go taller than 10" apes ? Thanks for your reply. P.S. I'm riding an 02 Nomad.

Old 09-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyN View Post
Hi - A number of posters have said 'not to go taller than 10" apes because even at 10", some cable/wire/hose were tight.' Were you able to install 12" apes without ANY need for cable/wire/hose extensions or modifications? Any thoughts on why some say don't go taller than 10" apes ? Thanks for your reply. P.S. I'm riding an 02 Nomad.

10" is as high as you could go with stock hoses and wires on your handlebars.
I had bought a set of 12's, not enough slack in the hoses, throttle cables, and wiring.
Anyway, if 10", you can rerun any tight lines, cables with the stock hoses.
To me, doesn't make much sense to just rise another 2 inches for a set of extended hoses and cables for a couple of hundred bucks, then have to hand rewire(extend) all your electrical control lines....
Now if you just gotta do it, hey, knock yourself out. With 10" bagger apes, you can reroute your stock stuff that will work on the 10" and still have a little slack when your on your stops....
Hope this helps.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #5

Sounds good!!
Enjoy your new apes when they get there!

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasión

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #6

Just a suggestion, if you ever plan on adding a fairing with a radio, you may need a set of bars with a wider base and pull back. I am not 100% sure on that. But it looks like Bud2rat was able to install a fairing with the bars he posted.

Also, the Amazon site says they are 12'' apes, but if you scroll down past Product Information to the Product Description, it has the bar rise as 10.20''. So if that is the actual rise then it is the same as the set I just installed.

So just for giggles, this is the set I installed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Yaffe-1...add4cf&vxp=mtr
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

This is what mine looks like with the fairing installed last week.
I'm still making modifications but it works.

I was actually looking to try that handlebar out as well to see how it feels on a long trip. I just took a 3 ride a day after I put my fairing on it and I was very impressed on how well the ape hanger and the fairing worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_3609.jpg (96.0 KB, 88 views)

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasión

Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Gillisfire , appreciate your help . I'm stuck on the clear windshield . I love seeing the road ahead of me . Once I get my bars installed I'm going to find a set of bar mounted speakers to hook my phone up to . I found a gadget that I can power my phone too from the battery tender. When I bought the bike it had a pretty good fairing with stereo . I sold it to buy the windshield and brackets . Gives it a more nostalgic look .

Oracle , Looks good with both windshield and fairing . Very glad to hear that it worked out for you , oh , and I have to find me one of those cup holders ( ebay here I come ) .

Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was actually looking to try that handlebar out as well to see how it feels on a long trip. I just took a 3 ride a day after I put my fairing on it and I was very impressed on how well the ape hanger and the fairing worked for me.
Thanks,
I've been trying to figure out what bars would work.
These are perfect.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:

I ordered this set of bars Tuesday night and they came Wednesday night from Amazon. They sure shipped fast and free too.
In sizing them up, I may have to reroute my brake line.
I'll try to get them on soon and I'll let you know.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

I just am finishing up the Khrome Werks 12" apes on my 2000 Nomad. The brake line came no where long enough even on the standard factory risers. I couldn't find my special brake line stretcher tool, so had to order a longer line. Clutch line behind triple tee worked ( replacing this winter)for now and wiring and throttle cables were long enough in stock version.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

Oracle's mini apes are on my bike now! The only issue I had was the front brake line. I had to have one made longer than stock. Will also do the clutch line in the future as its a little more tight than I care for, but it works for now. It rides much better now. My back is in a better position and controlling the bike seems much easier.

Ride Safe
Eddie R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3691.jpg (54.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3685.jpg (46.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3688.jpg (52.7 KB, 62 views)

Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie R. View Post
Oracle's mini apes are on my bike now! The only issue I had was the front brake line. I had to have one made longer than stock. Will also do the clutch line in the future as its a little more tight than I care for, but it works for now. It rides much better now. My back is in a better position and controlling the bike seems much easier.

Ride Safe
Eddie R.
Those bars look great with your bike . I've got my bars and waiting for grips to come now . I'm just going to set them aside until I get the gremlin out of my bike .
Still waiting for my Dobeck EJK to arrive . When all is good I'll do my install and post some pics .

Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie R. View Post

Ride Safe
Eddie R.
Hey Eddie.
I'm glad it all worked out for you Eddie. Sorry everything didn't fit as well as you and I thought it would but man that's a great looking bike. It's surprising how much easier it is to maneuver the bike once you've gone to mini apes...
Once again, it was a pleasure meeting you brother...

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasión

Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

I have 05 Nomad, doing some mods now. Put Paul Yaffe classic 12" apes on last week. Best change that I've made. Love the height, pullback and the best is grip angle. They put your hands straight instead of angled out. Very comfortable . Changed front brake lines ( Galfer Brake Lines) that comes with everything you need, simple change out. Extended wires on left and right side. Ran those thru bars. Jared has a great video and pics talking you thru the whole process. Taking New Reckless fairing to paint shop tomorrow. Changed out grips, while I was doing this. Oh, I purchased bars on Amazon, great price. Everyone was out of the Santee 11" Dresser. They are back ordered, couldn't' wait. These I installed are just like the Dresser Apes. Just not 1 1/4" diameter tapered. 1" all the way. My clutch line was fine.