Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #31
Advanced Member

Check in front of the battery, there is a large connector between the battery and the rear cylinder. It is pretty much every ground wire for the bike coming together into one giant connector. Unwrap it and see if it is melted or damage. Mine did it, and I know of several others that did it. One of the grounds is for the stator and it killed my charging system.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #32

Cut the melted connector and wires away. Looks like I am going to have to take off the tank to get to the wires in the harness. I cant cut back enough to get shiny wire. Everything still has black burnt streaks. I do not at this time know how far back I need to go

Anything to look out for when I pull the tank?

And I just filled up too ughhhh...

Mike
VBA #02943

Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #33
Advanced Member

Two hoses on the right for the tank vent near the back. Undo the front and rear bolts then put a short section of 2x4 under the back tank bracket to hold it up. Left side is the connector for the fuel line. It is a quick release with a 'button' on both sides....push in on those and push the hose onto the the tank..that will free it up and you will feel it pop loose. It can be a tad annoying until the first time you feel it happen.....

I have been told to not put power to the bike when the spedo assembly is anything but in it's proper position on the tank....rather than hanging down the side of the bike. Can't remember why but it made sense at the time.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #34

Ok Tonik sounds good.

These have a what 1/4 - 5/16 fuel line? Im gonna need to make some plug offs for the when I remove the lines.
VBA #02943

Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500 View Post
Ok Tonik sounds good.

These have a what 1/4 - 5/16 fuel line? Im gonna need to make some plug offs for the when I remove the lines.
1 maybe 2 drops will emit from the fuel line after you pinch the 2 gray tabs IN and pull the fuel line off. Nothing more than a rag is needed to get that. But Do not turn the key On as then the pump will run a second and blow fuel all over the place. Don't even ask how i know
Well I did know and I forgot I knew and did it anyway once.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #36

I was just following the manual lol.

Great advice to follow...
VBA #02943

Old 05-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Two hoses on the right for the tank vent near the back. Undo the front and rear bolts then put a short section of 2x4 under the back tank bracket to hold it up. Left side is the connector for the fuel line. It is a quick release with a 'button' on both sides....push in on those and push the hose onto the the tank..that will free it up and you will feel it pop loose. It can be a tad annoying until the first time you feel it happen.....

I have been told to not put power to the bike when the spedo assembly is anything but in it's proper position on the tank....rather than hanging down the side of the bike. Can't remember why but it made sense at the time.
I added a drop of marvel mystery oil to the steel hose ends the first time I removed them , and a drop of engine oil would work the same. Now when I pull the tank the tubing comes off with out a fight.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #38

Well looks like im all fixed up. I still have to tie up some loose ends so to speak and tighten everything back down, but shes running again and getting back up to the 14+ voltage when I run up the rpms. Gonna do some final sanity checks to gnd then button her up.

Thanks to all who posted and walked me through. Much appreciated

Mike
VBA #02943

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

How far back did you have to cut ? Did you solder the gang there and add a ground cable to the frame ? Telling us what you did, always helps the next guy.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
How far back did you have to cut ? Did you solder the gang there and add a ground cable to the frame ? Telling us what you did, always helps the next guy.
Agreed Mac.
First time I have seen anyone have to go back too far past the junction. How many inches? How did you connect them all together?
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #41

I had 2 wires that were really melted so to speak. Had to cut them back to just shy of the tank. Took the tank off, had to pull the ECM box out to get all the extra room I could get. Twisted/soldered the wires into 3 sets. Took those sets and put them in a grounding buss. Added loads of D grease and I plan on heat shrinking all of it. I think I can get larger sizes of shrink tube at Ace. Up to an inch. I did in fact add an extra ground wire that I will be attaching today. Rain ran me inside last night lol.

While I had the tank off, I ran 3 wires up to the headlight just in case in the future I need wires up there lol. Wont have to take off the tank to run them. Just something I thought might come in handy for me one day.

Everything seems to be ok for now. Ill have to force myself to go for a ride today and make sure.

Mike
VBA #02943

Old 05-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500 View Post
Everything seems to be ok for now. Ill have to force myself to go for a ride today and make sure.

Mike
I am sure you have it solved. Ride safe.......
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #43

this is a very good post thank you all.
I just found the junction youall are talking about and mine is like new, is there any other junctions like this that will give me a starting problem. my 05 1600 w/53K will not start on first try once in a blue moon.
thanks for any help

I live my bike

Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
this is a very good post thank you all.
I just found the junction youall are talking about and mine is like new, is there any other junctions like this that will give me a starting problem. my 05 1600 w/53K will not start on first try once in a blue moon.
thanks for any help

I live my bike
You might want to find the start relay behind the coolant rez. You can also use the + battery cable as a guide, but the rez will have to hang to work on the relay and clean the fuse holder and fuse there.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Depends on how fancy you want it. If it were mine i would cut off the burn, strip all the wires and twist them all good adding one more in 12 ga wire with heat shrink on the wires, and solder them all as one, Slip the heat shrink over them with a good smear of dielectric grease and shrink the tubing. Tape over that 4 inches to each side and ground that wire you added in. Not real fancy huh ?
What the reason for adding the 12 ga?
VBA #1051 (Former President)