Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Irate Towed...........

Yes I had to call a tow trk to get me and my Nomad off the road. Im driving and all was good. Then all of a sudden started cutting out as if no fuel. Then quit. I was like damnnnn out in the middle of no where. So, I tried to start her up and NOTHING. Just clicking as if the battery is dead.

I have had a problem with the speedo acting like a tach when moving. And bout 3 miles before the bike died the speedo went dead as in slap to 0.0. I have all lights, and fuel indicator etc. and needle moves as it should when I hit the switch. But I do not know if this is all related to a gnd somewhere.....

Fuel pump primes when I turn the ignition but CLICK. Im assuming dead azz batt but it was really sudden. as in BAM. haha Guess Ill have to tear her down when the sun gets behind the trees. Its hawt in bama today hahah..

Any thoughts? I do have the manual and will start at the batt ad work backwards.

ALSO if you guys don't have a towing package get the ROK membership. I called them and within 45 min I was in the AC of a tow trk. Brought me to my house, dropped off the bike and said thanks. Best money ever spent. ROK rocked today!!

Mike
VBA #02943

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

Just guessing here, but to me it sounds like a poor battery connection. Have you checked those yet?

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 05-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

yeha gonna look at that in a bit
VBA #02943

Old 05-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Pull both seats and the right side cover. Disconnect the ground cable first, then the Pos cabe, follow the pos cable to behind the coolant rez, and remove the rez letting it hang.

The cable will enter a box all tapped up. Get the box open and clean the mung and goo on all contacts . With everything still open and apart check to see if the start motor will run now. This time as the cable go back on ground is last.

Make it a rule. When going to work on the electrical system disconnect ground first. When you are putting things back do the ground last.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #5

Speedo like a tach

This exact thing happened to me last summer during my trip through BC. I was in the Nicola Valley when all of a sudden my stereo cut out, headlight went out and my speedo was acting like a tach. I had just gone through a wicked rainstorm and heavy winds so I assumed something was shorted out. So here I am on the side of the highway literally an hour out of the nearest town scratching my head. What I found was this. I pulled the battery out and in front of the battery there is a wiring harness where all the ground wires connect for the bike. I believe there was 14 wires in total. The main ground black/yellow comes in on one end and then it essentially connects 13 more wires together. All which are black/yellow stripe. The main ground pin in the harness was burnt/melted making a terrible connection. Im made a jumper to get me going to the first house I came across. I borrowed a soldering iron and some extra tools and was back on the road in a couple hours. I made sure all my connections were good and I haven't had a problem since.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

Ok tore it down. Everything looks good as far as connections. Voltage at bat was 10.2 (low). I hooked up the charger for about 10 minutes she fired right up. Revved her up and the voltage did not go up to the 14.xx like it use to.

Charging system maybe? Discharged my batt?

Any thoughts....

**UPDATE***

Pulled the charger off. bat was at 12.2. Fired right up as usual. Again revved her up but she did not go off the12.1-12.2 volt mark. I recall she would run up to around 14 volts when I revved up the RPM. Guess I need to get the batt load tested.

Mike
VBA #02943

Last edited by mr500; 05-10-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

Fully charged the battery should be 12.7 -12.8 These should go up to 14 when running. If not you need to check out your charging system. Sounds like it's time for a new battery and a charging system check.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

I thought I had my problem solved (park the bike somewhere, then it won't restart. takes a jump to get it going. second new battery. It seemed like the charging was iffy, I'm thinking poor connection too.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

You need a multimeter as the bare minimum. I run a volt mere on the bike 24/7 that plugs into a power take off, but i carry and 12 volt test light and a mulitmeter at all times.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #10

If you are still getting under 13 volts across the battery terminals while it is running, it is your regulator/rectifier. I recommend always buying a factory replacement for these. They are more expensive, but well worth it. A bad aftermarket one will ruin the next few months for you as it could spike you system and wreak havoc on all of your electrical systems.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

Is there any liquid on top of the battery? Its possible your battery has a shorted cell. Normally when this happens it boils some liquid out. Just the same, I wouldn't get to deep into tearing the bike down until you try a different battery. How old is yours? If its 3 years old or more you'll probably be buying a new one soon anyhow.
Sucks about the break down. I hate it when someone has to use the T word (towed).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
If you are still getting under 13 volts across the battery terminals while it is running, it is your regulator/rectifier. I recommend always buying a factory replacement for these. They are more expensive, but well worth it. A bad aftermarket one will ruin the next few months for you as it could spike you system and wreak havoc on all of your electrical systems.
That might be, the stators could be shot, and with any luck it is the connectors under the left side cover melted if it isn't the mass ground . He can't know till he has a mulitmeter or a good volt meter.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

sounds like the stator to me...
||VBA #03091||

Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #14

Is there an easier way to check the regulator(s) with out taking off the outside cover? Im trying to get a game plan for later in the week. Looks like it wants to rain damn near everyday except tomorrow.

Charged the batt up to 100% so I am ready to start with my meter but Im going to look at all the wiring around the batt IE the ground junction etc..

Just for my Info what's a shop charge for stator replacement? I am not set up to do that job. No way of jacking up the engine etc... So if I have to have that done it will go to a shop...
VBA #02943

Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

There's a really good tutorial on vulcanforums.com if you search there. I'm about to take my economics final, but I'll try
||VBA #03091||