Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Bevel gear bearing? Wheel bearing? how to know?

New member, btw. I've had my 99 Nomad 1500 for a few years now but just never got involved in an forum communities.

I was doing a search for procedures on replacing front wheel bearings. I know its a dirt-simple job, but wondered if anyone had tips like "don't get X brand bearings they suck" or "make sure to lube such and such." I came across some that it was actually the bevel gear bearing. I thought I would describe mine and see if I could narrow down the issue before throwing parts at it.

almost 40k miles. When I bought it, the front tire was a cheap brand and the tread was cupped, so I expected the growling I heard. Last year I put brand new Michelins on the bike and the noise remained which made me think front bearings. The noise is not a whine or "turbine" noise like some have described, its a growl and I can feel the buzz in the grips. Slightly worse when turning and the same during accel and decel. I had the calipers off when I did tires and couldn't detect any play in the bearings.

Does this sound like wheel bearings or bevel bearings?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't introduced yourself in the proper section, plz do!

I posted a similar question a week or two ago. I get the growl just off center when heeling to the left on my 1500 Classic. My intuition (or fear? lol) was wheel bearing. I've only 15k miles on the bike, approx. 16k actually. I soon found out it could be/most likely is, the front tire. I'm anxious to hear the experts comment on your situaiton.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

My understanding is that the bevel gear bearing will usually make noise on decel.
From what your describing I think your problem lies elsewhere.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in soon.
Here's a link to a thread, maybe it will help.

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19487

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Last edited by BudMan; 06-05-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

No, it is NOT the bevel gear bearing.

As was mentioned, it starts as a growl on decel, then becomes a scream, and turns into a thump thump thump while screaming.

The doctors said these memories would fade over time.

MT
VBA 936