Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-16-2023, 08:13 PM   #1

Stator failure-Caltric ok?

2003 Nomad...64k miles
As luck would have it 120 miles from home on the way back from daytona my charging system failed and i was dead at the gas pump. Fortunately i had packed my portable jumper. I got enough into the battery to get me 22 miles from home then another charge and i made it.
Tests today found the reglulator ground wire (black/yellow) melted at the connector at the negative battery cable. It also had excessive resistance. I ran an new 12 gauge wire with a soldered splice to the two stator connectors.
further testing showed good stator resistance but both stators shorted to ground. Life isn't always fair.
I am looking at Caltric stator and regulator kits to replace both stators and regulators to avoid any future problems. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the product or any advice on what direction to go in.
Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #2

Alright...I did find some older threads commenting on caltric being cheap chinese stuff.

I looked up Rick's motorsport electrics and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Or other recommendations. Bothe stators and regulators.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:24 PM   #3

Guess i'm handling this one all by myself...lol...
Testing done-both inner and outer stators shorted to ground....regulaots ground wire melted at battery cable connector...hardwired in with marine butt connector...found excessive resistance in ground wire...ran new 12gauge tinned marine wire and soldered splice between inner and outer stator/rr wires...
Rectifiers/regulators diode/ground/power checks ok...
Two new stators on order from Ricks...
The gadget diagnostic chart is brilliant and easy to follow...
pisser that the only reason you have to pull the inner cover is to get the electrical plug out...lol...
Not a bad job...looking forward to reassembling and checking everything out when the parts arrive...

Old 03-18-2023, 04:42 PM   #4

I don't know anything about the stators or Ricks. But make sure you check the ground wire bundle below the battery on the brake side. These are known to melt down also.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 03-21-2023, 09:01 PM   #5
Advanced Member

More stuff I'll check when I do the engine teardown on my VN1600. I just need to get a bunch of other projects done 1st before I can dig into the engine project.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2023, 08:19 AM   #6

Ricks Motorsports electrics stators seem pretty robust and well put together. I installed an inner and outer yesterday and she's charging at 14.6 again. Installation is pretty straightforward and easy. I'm pretty satisfied with the job. Also epoxy coated my footboards in black as the chrome was starting to peel after 20 years. Looks nice.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #7

the stators i replaced may have been aftermarket as there was no potting material on the windings at all...i like the look of the ricks parts...foot boards came out nice also...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stator.jpg (85.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2stator.jpg (57.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 4stator.jpg (90.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 5stator.jpg (96.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6stator.jpg (81.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 03-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #8

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, but Rick's makes good stators. Electrosport makes good ones, too.

If you aren't replacing the rectifier/regulator, be sure to test it thoroughly. When stators go out they often take the R/R with them. Also, it could have been the R/R burning out that took out the stator.

Another problem spot is the connector between the stator and R/R. Just a little dirt, moisture, or corrosion on those pins will quickly lead to that connector burning up. Some solder the wires together there when replacing the stator and R/R (don't attempt unless you know what you are doing soldering high current wires together). Otherwise, you can thoroughly coat the outside of the connector with dielectric grease to protect it from the elements.

Also, be aware that R/Rs and even more so, stators can be bad out of the box. Do all of the charging system tests after installation.