Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Kawasaki cigarette lighter adapter

I installed the kawasaki cigarette lighter adapter a couple weeks back when I was going on a trip so that my phone would stay charged because like most I like listening to music from my phone, use the gps through the bluetooth adapter and still be able to use my phone to take videos and photos when I finally reached my destination. BUT as soon as i would accelerate the damn plug would vibrate right out of the socket! Evertime I plugged it back in it would pop out as soon as I would take off again so I never got to use it. I was thinking about crazy gluing one of those little usb adapters in there but I need to find one with a rubber boot to keep the water out when im not using it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a usb adapter that looks similar to the kawasaki cigarette lighter with the plastic threads and a plastic nut but I dont know if it would fit in the stock hole in the faring.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Behind the headlight, on the right (as you look in) near the top are four open leads for power. 2 ignition powered and 2 ground. I hooked to those and drilled a small hole in the left (as you sit) glove box and put a power adapter in there. Then ran the usb cable back out that same hole and you will see a straight steel bracket that goes from near there to the frame..right by the front of the frame. Ran it across that and up to the center of the handlebars which is where I mount my phone.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

I had the same problem on my Victory but not as bad it would take about 45 minutes to vibrate out.
I went to WalMart and bought an adapter that pugs in to the outlet with a USB socket on it. Plug it in and use a USB cable to plug into the adapter. Solved my problem. The adapter was about $3.

https://us-i5.tb.wal.co/asr/7770dd4b...0&odnBg=FFFFFF
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

On my Nomad I used a cigarette receptacle and matching plug I bought at a marine store. It has a waterproof cap when not in use, but the best 2 features are it has o rings on the plug so that it is waterproof when plugged in and a 1/4 turn locks the plug in the receptical. Plugs are sold separately so you could install that style on any extra devices you want.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I put a zip tie from my GPS cord to the rubber boot that covers the power outlet when not in use.
That stopped the power cord from vibrating out of the socket.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by redjay; 10-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
On my Nomad I used a cigarette receptacle and matching plug I bought at a marine store. It has a waterproof cap when not in use, but the best 2 features are it has o rings on the plug so that it is waterproof when plugged in and a 1/4 turn locks the plug in the receptical. Plugs are sold separately so you could install that style on any extra devices you want.
Would you happen to have any pics or part #'s for your setup?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

I simply ran a large fused wire directly from the battery to the headlamp. Installed a connection block in the headlamp so I could add accessories without putting additional load on existing wiring. I have two cigarette sockets with plastic covers zip tied to the handlebars. I can keep my GPS or phones charged. I have had this arrangement for about 6 years.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
I will see if I can post something tomorrow.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #9

I tried a cheap double USB outlet from Ebay in place of the OEM lighter socket... Worked OK for a short time, then the vibration shook it apart inside and it blew my accessory fuse. Now I've just used the accessory plugs inside the fairing that Tonik mentioned in post #2 to wire in a single USB outlet like this one.

I just left it lying loose in the left side cubby now. I had it zip-tied to the inside of the fairing under the radio for a time, but it was hard to get to there. I find that if I plug anything into it, the wire will fit out the door while it's closed.

It's worked so well, that I've wired another one into the trunk using the similar accesory outlets under the seat. Just don't wire them to the battery full time... they act as a transformer, and drain it very slowly.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

Thanks Peg you get what I'm talking about! I guess I'll have to go that route, I just hate to think that my factory setup is completely useless!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #11

Thanks Tonik, thats what I'm going to do.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14vaquero View Post
Thanks Peg you get what I'm talking about! I guess I'll have to go that route, I just hate to think that my factory setup is completely useless!
It's certainly not completely useless... There was this one time I wish I'd had it back while I had the dual USB outlet in there. I had a slow leak in my rear tire, and a rider in the group had one of those electric pumps. If I'd had the outlet, I could have simply borrowed his pump instead of having to make sure I parked near him.

But yep... my experience with cig lighter style outlets is the same as yours. Vibration just makes whatever you plug in there, work it's way out.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #13

I installed the factory outlet so I could plug one of those neat voltmeters into it. I considered that it would vibrate out and end up on the road. Haven't fabricated a solution yet but velcro is very versatile.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Here is the marine receptacle and plug I used. They come under the name Blue sea, Marinco and Sea link, but all 3 brands are pretty much the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-.../dp/B0002KRC5O.
I'll take a pic of the plug on the bike today. Sorry been busy.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #15

I wound up going with this...Iuhan® Fashion Car Boat Motorcycle Dual USB Charger DC 12V To 5V 3A Power Adapter Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCIEX6U..._GRd9xbBX0WF0S . Im just going drill a small hole in the right glove box (leave it in there) with a fuse wire it up to the accessory wires down by the headlamp with a fuse.