Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Driver backrest advice...

Hey guys, i have a 2014 vaquero with the factory seat and i see that there's a opening in it to put a driver backrest. The problem is Kawasaki doesn't offer one on the site. Does Kawasaki make a driver backrest for this bike or do i have to purchase an aftermarket one? Is there an aftermarket that makes one specifically for this bike?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

I saw a driver backrest offered on Ebay specifically for the Vaquero- reasonable price too.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Grasshopper makes one.
http://www.grasshopperlimited.com

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #4

I would go with the Grasshopper backrest. I have one for my Voyager and it works well after I did a slight modification.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Thanks guys!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

go with utopia.
Hands down best thing I bought.
Did a 1700klm ride and not one twinge in my lower back.
yes, its pricey.
but well worth it.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

I have a brand new grasshopper backrest i'll sell you for 60 bucks. Sold my Vaquero and never used it. It's still in the box.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

Sorry dhobbs but i bought the grasshopper the very next day. Thanks JD Hog, it was cheap, works great and it actually looks good too.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

i have the utopia and find it is just too big... hard to get it right in the back no matter what position i put it in... i am trying out an ultimate one piece with rest at daytona bike fest in 2 weeks... gotta try somethin different..

1970 3hp mini bike
1971 Honda CB 350
1978 Honda CX 500
1994 Honda CRF 230
2013 Kaw Nomad 1700

Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14vaquero View Post
Hey guys, i have a 2014 vaquero with the factory seat and i see that there's a opening in it to put a driver backrest. The problem is Kawasaki doesn't offer one on the site. Does Kawasaki make a driver backrest for this bike or do i have to purchase an aftermarket one? Is there an aftermarket that makes one specifically for this bike?

Kawi released a part # K53020-406, and Amazon has it listed for sale, but says may take a few months for delivery. I ordered one thru dealer when it was listed, but they never let any go that I know of, my dealer refunded me after 6 mos. of backorder. Sucks that they made a prototype and let Teri Conrad use it for 4-6 mos, I sat on her bike in Deadwood in 2011, I almost stole the damned thing. Tried to bribe her into saying it fell off somewhere. She said there were no issues with it and loved it.

Several people told me the Grasshopper was too flimsy and would bend.

I bought a Mustang wide touring with driver backrest, but I can't lean back into the rest and still touch the bars...... trying to work something out with Mustang now, maybe double the thickness of padding in the rest.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
... I bought a Mustang wide touring with driver backrest, but I can't lean back into the rest and still touch the bars...... trying to work something out with Mustang now, maybe double the thickness of padding in the rest.
I had the same issue with the Mustang backrest... My solution was to take out the thumbscrew, and thread it in from the other side. You might find (as I did) that it tips the steel bar forward just far enough for the backrest to hit you in exactly the right spot.

I've moved on from the Mustang to a Russell seat now (for the sake of my passenger), and had to do quite a bit of modification to the Russell backrest to get it low enough to suit me. The Mustang was nice, but just a little too far back, cramping up the passenger too much.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Typical Kawasaki when it comes to accessories. It is like they do one production run and when they are gone, they are gone. If you buy an early model like my 2010 Voyager you can purchase all the factory accessories.

You should see the Harley Catalog. I call it the Sears wish book for men.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 10-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #13
Advanced Member

• I had OEM backrest - sold it. It was okay
  • The Custom World backrest is not too bad on stock seat too.
  • I have Mustang and added some extra metal pieces (quarters) where the thumb screw hits the bracket to push the backrest up further. You could just change the thumb screw with a longer bolt but you will have to remove the bur at the end that stops you losing the thumb screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
Kawi released a part # K53020-406, and Amazon has it listed for sale, but says may take a few months for delivery. I ordered one thru dealer when it was listed, but they never let any go that I know of, my dealer refunded me after 6 mos. of backorder. Sucks that they made a prototype and let Teri Conrad use it for 4-6 mos, I sat on her bike in Deadwood in 2011, I almost stole the damned thing. Tried to bribe her into saying it fell off somewhere. She said there were no issues with it and loved it.

Several people told me the Grasshopper was too flimsy and would bend.

I bought a Mustang wide touring with driver backrest, but I can't lean back into the rest and still touch the bars...... trying to work something out with Mustang now, maybe double the thickness of padding in the rest.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #14

The grasshopper backrest is kind of inexpensive looking, the bracket does look a bit flimsy and all of that did croos my mind as i was un packaging it but it lines up perfectly for me and is actually pretty comfortable. Ive got maybe 500 miles on it already and it still seems to be in the same position.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
  • I had OEM backrest - sold it. It was okay
  • The Custom World backrest is not too bad on stock seat too.
  • I have Mustang and added some extra metal pieces (quarters) where the thumb screw hits the bracket to push the backrest up further. You could just change the thumb screw with a longer bolt but you will have to remove the bur at the end that stops you losing the thumb screw.
the "official" word from Mustang engineer via e-mail was "stick an acorn nut on the end of the screw to push the backrest farther forward". I figured this would add about 1/8", maybe. Told Mustang I deemed this ineffective since the backrest did nothing so far, adding 1/8", if it did anything at all, left me no range of adjustment. I am requesting they recover the backrest with same thickness padding as the sissy bar pad, while they are replacing the crossthreaded nut in seat pan.