Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Question Pop/Bang issues and others

OK, so I got the decel popping thing taken care of (found exhaust leak).

Now my issue is, At about the same place I was getting the popping I now get a loud single pop/bang on decel. Not all the time, but frequent enough. I also get the occasional upshift pop/bang.

I also have noticed that the right exhaust is much much darker in color than the left side at the exit. Is this because of the design of the Y-pipe?

And lastly, I am pinging when I accelerate hard. Although I think I can chalk this up to the 87 octane gas I just filled up with :(

I have been using Davids map and the bike definitely runs better, but the smell of gas was a bit much. So he reduced the map for me by 5%. This helped the gas smell some but not much change on the pop/bang. Any feedback on any of these issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

You have to block off the clean air system to get rid of the decel pop

Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanizer View Post
Ordinarily, yes. On virtually every other Kawi and many other makes of bikes with such a system this generally helps to reduce or eliminate decel popping.

However, on the 1700, blocking the AIS (PAIR) System seems to have little to no affect. There is something unique about the 1700 engine/ECU that makes getting rid of decel popping very difficult.

As noted below by RACNRAY, if even he has trouble totally getting rid of decel popping, then this confirms my feeling that the 1700 Engine is a unique/departure design that Kawi should have put more thought into.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 09-19-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Starting with the ZX14 in 2006 there seems to be an aspect of the Kawi's FI system that causes a decel pop that either can't be eliminated and occurs all the time or shows itself every now and then.

On te 14's once a full system was installed there would be a loud bang at 3500 and no amount of tuning would get rid of it.

Now on the 1700's I have tuned I have been able to eliminate 99.999999% of the decel popping no matter what mods have been done, but there is sometimes a loud pop on decel at a certain rpm, tho I can't remember what rpm it is. Happens only 2% of the time.

Big mistake that Kawi made on the 1700's was using a single spark plug vs. the more common and very benificial dual plug set-up. On such a large bore engine dual plugs will insure better and more complete combustion of the air/fuel mixture. Certain throttle applications/operations at certain rpm's can really "upset" how complete the combustion process is and the result is bangs during shifting or decel.

RACNRAY

Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanizer View Post
I did forget to mention that I have the AIS blocked. But Thanks, that was one of the first things I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Ordinarily, yes. On virtually every other Kawi and many other makes of bikes with such a system this generally helps to reduce or eliminate decel popping.

However, on the 1700, blocking the AIS (PAIR) System seems to have little to no affect. There is something unique about the 1700 engine/ECU that makes getting rid of decel popping very difficult.

Very True I've come to learn. On my 2010 Honda VT1300 (Interstate), then I blocked that system with the plates, 100% of the pop was eliminated.

As noted below by RACNRAY, if even he has trouble totally getting rid of decel popping, then this confirms my feeling that the 1700 Engine is a unique/departure design that Kawi should have put more thought into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Starting with the ZX14 in 2006 there seems to be an aspect of the Kawi's FI system that causes a decel pop that either can't be eliminated and occurs all the time or shows itself every now and then.

On te 14's once a full system was installed there would be a loud bang at 3500 and no amount of tuning would get rid of it.

Now on the 1700's I have tuned I have been able to eliminate 99.999999% of the decel popping no matter what mods have been done, but there is sometimes a loud pop on decel at a certain rpm, tho I can't remember what rpm it is. Happens only 2% of the time.

Big mistake that Kawi made on the 1700's was using a single spark plug vs. the more common and very benificial dual plug set-up. On such a large bore engine dual plugs will insure better and more complete combustion of the air/fuel mixture. Certain throttle applications/operations at certain rpm's can really "upset" how complete the combustion process is and the result is bangs during shifting or decel.

RACNRAY
I too have been noticing in certain throttle positions or ride stlye, you can almost eliminate it 100% by treating the bike it's way so to speak.
(Like she's a temperamental little B---- and it'll be her way or not at all ) I find myself really changing riding habits and style to keep it from popping or banging because it really irritates the you know what outta me.

No, comments on the exhaust color differences ?

Thanks for all the notes of wisdom
Next thing I'm gonna try doing is play with some numbers in the map in the )0% column and ponder on the other columns. I really hate to spend a couple hundred on getting it dyno'd if I can get it almost as close.

VBA #02229

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Since you are profficient in working with the PCV software and your concern is decel popping there is absolutley no need for dyno tuning. Have the skoot dyno tuned for the rest of the rpm/throttle ranges, not for the 0% column.

During dyno tuning which by the way is called custom mapping I will address decel popping on the decel phase after a run.

Seems on my skoot I have eliminated decel popping to where one pop may occur once in a while. Just like on the ZX14'SI have not been able to completely eliminate it but if it occurs so infrequent it's not's an issue.

I will be investigating into the spark output of the stock ignition coils and making a comparison to aftermarket coils. A stronger spark and a larger plug gap can go a long way in improving performance, mpg and maybe even decel popping. I'll let u'all know.

RACNRAY

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Since you are profficient in working with the PCV software and your concern is decel popping there is absolutley no need for dyno tuning. Have the skoot dyno tuned for the rest of the rpm/throttle ranges, not for the 0% column.

During dyno tuning which by the way is called custom mapping I will address decel popping on the decel phase after a run.

Seems on my skoot I have eliminated decel popping to where one pop may occur once in a while. Just like on the ZX14'SI have not been able to completely eliminate it but if it occurs so infrequent it's not's an issue.

I will be investigating into the spark output of the stock ignition coils and making a comparison to aftermarket coils. A stronger spark and a larger plug gap can go a long way in improving performance, mpg and maybe even decel popping. I'll let u'all know.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the info and advice Ray. Much appreciated.
I will definetly be waiting to hear back on the results of your investigation.

VBA #02229