Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Cobra Slip-on's a Mistake?

Well I just recieved my PCVw/ign and will be installing it this weekend. I have Cobra Scalloped tip slip-ons and the K&N replacement filter. I have been reading everything related to PCV on this forum and am begining to think that the Cobra's are a mistake. It seems that those of you with the V&H slip ons have better results with eliminating the decel pop. I have been trying to tune out the decel pop with a Dolebeck EJK with no luck. In fact thier tech support told me after numerous calls that they could NOT tune out the decel popping?? Go figure. Why they didnt tell me that the first time I called?
I have davids map ready to install once I get the PCV installed and am hoping that I don't have the same issues. I have marbled and leak checked. Even put ss lock washers behind the acorn nuts.
I guess what I am looking for here is some feedback.......Anybody ?

Thanks,
Frank

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

I'm running the Tri-ovals, and just completed connecting the PCV extra connection for detecting speed and gear selection. I loaded a table for each gear and an AFR map for each as well. The popping in gears 1, 2 and 3 were gone after connecting the PCV. This latest change seems to have eliminated the popping in the upper gears as well. In short, I'm happy!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

1oldtimer,
I have the exact setup you are putting on. I too have the gear dependent mapping and have gotten rid of 99% of the decel popping. Nice rumble on decel instead of popping. Long stoory short is I went through everything suggested by forum members and played with numerous maps. In my case turned out to be related to adjusting the idle down by 50 rpm's. Changed it back to the stock setting and the decel pop was gone.

Frank

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter

Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #4

If you put your idle back to stock settings or higher you should be able to eliminate the back fire popping.Its done through your handle controls and LCD screen.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
If you put your idle back to stock settings or higher you should be able to eliminate the back fire popping.Its done through your handle controls and LCD screen.
Been playing with it all weekend.....What is the stock idle setting...00 ? Or +50 ?

VBA #02229

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #6

Stock setting is zero. With the V & H stock AF and a good map no to little deceleration pop.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #7

Thanks, I'll set it back in the am and see if that helps me any.

VBA #02229

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

Cobra told me the same thing, you can not get rid of the popping, they even said that a lot of people like the "Harley" sound, I told them in no uncertain terms that if I wanted the "Harley" sound I would have got a Harley, they were no help at all.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

Added note: Over the past few days I noticed that I was still having some rather vicious popping in the higher gears. Then I had a thought - I try to not do that, might damage something. Anyway, I had been following the advice from from professional riding DVDs and blipping the throttle as I gear down. It occurred to me that this was "charging" the exhaust with an abundance of fuel, quite inviting a pop. So I quit doing that. THAT change in style made a BIG difference! While the bike does still pop on occasion, it is a much milder pop and it doesn't bother me. My MC wingman however, found the pretty blue flame coming out both pipes a little distracting!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #10

1oldtimer PM sent.I find running the idle at 50 rpm higher then stock works the best without sounding like the bike is on fast idle.LOL

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

I have also been thinking (smokey, it is contagious) that if I ride "normal" meaning not getting on the throtle hard, the popping aint so bad. But if I ride it hard, the popping is terrible. I have added ss lockwasers behind the acor nuts, installed the thunder mfg gasket, cheched for exhaust leaks, blocked the AIR and still get the popping and an ocasional backfire. Not only down shifting, but every now and then on the up shift. Do any of you have a sure fire way to check for intake leaks as well as exhaust leaks? I am just about raedy to give up here. Like many others, it seems that everytime I do somthing, it gets better until after an hour or so of riding. Then right back to square one.
Also, when I installed my PCV w/ign I did not zero my throttle. It was already at "0" and "100" at full twist. Is this somthing I need to do anyway?
I also am noticing a surge or hesitation at lower speeds. And I do have Rays throttle mod. Is it also possible it is not adjusted right?
Thanks for ALL your help.

Frank

VBA #02229

Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #12

well I went back to my v&h pro pipe, installed the quiet baffle insert from smartpartz and what a difference, subdued popping but still get that nice sound I wanted. I will keep the tri ovals for now and look at selling them in the spring. Cobra was no help what so ever and I don't think I will bother with them anymore.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
I have also been thinking (smokey, it is contagious) that if I ride "normal" meaning not getting on the throtle hard, the popping aint so bad. But if I ride it hard, the popping is terrible. I have added ss lockwasers behind the acor nuts, installed the thunder mfg gasket, cheched for exhaust leaks, blocked the AIR and still get the popping and an ocasional backfire. Not only down shifting, but every now and then on the up shift. Do any of you have a sure fire way to check for intake leaks as well as exhaust leaks? I am just about raedy to give up here. Like many others, it seems that everytime I do somthing, it gets better until after an hour or so of riding. Then right back to square one.
Also, when I installed my PCV w/ign I did not zero my throttle. It was already at "0" and "100" at full twist. Is this somthing I need to do anyway?
I also am noticing a surge or hesitation at lower speeds. And I do have Rays throttle mod. Is it also possible it is not adjusted right?
Thanks for ALL your help.

Frank
Have you raised the idle rpm at "0" throttle position yet and gone for a test drive.If you raise it to +100 you should see a big difference in the backfire issue and reduced popping.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Have you raised the idle rpm at "0" throttle position yet and gone for a test drive.If you raise it to +100 you should see a big difference in the backfire issue and reduced popping.
No I have not. I will try it this weekend. I am foo wed, thur and Fri this week. So that will give me a few days to get some tinkering in.

VBA #02229

Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #15

Quote:
I tried +50 and +100, made no difference to mine, and I checked for exhaust leaks and everything else I could think of, nothing helped.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220