Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #1

Question Thunder vs Chucksters BAK

I am sure this has been beat to death, but I actually havent found a staright forward answer. I have read alot about the Thunder BAK (using factory dog bowls) being excessively noisey. I have read only a couple of threads about Chucksters (same type) being noisy.

1) Is one more noisier than the other ?
2) Is one built better than the other ?
3) What are yalls overall opinions of both please ?

I have found a deal on a used Thunder setup and have return to researhing them again, but am a little on the scared side due to the noise issues/complaints to the point people are going back to the stock setup. Any and all input would be greatly ppreciated.

Thank you,
Frank

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #2

They're both going to be noisy. A lot more air is getting sucked in and you can definitely hear it. That being said, I don't think it's a bad thing. And most wouldn't even notice it over the volume of their exhaust. The performance on the two kits is going to be the same, so I'd go with what ever looks better to you.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Last edited by Jared; 05-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #3

Thanks Jared.
I have the Cobra Scalloped tip slip-ons and they are just a bit louder than stock until; youget on the throttle. Then you definetly hear them open up. So, that being said, I probably wont hear the air noise as described by others?

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #4

Jared is correct, any time the intake is opened up it is going to louder than stock. When I was young and had the 4 barrel carb car engines, use to take the factory cover and flip it upside down, and well you know the rest of the story here you got it More noise...

I stand behind everything I manufacture and I give complete customer satisfaction.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #5

Both will likely make just as much noise.

Unlike other bikes, the 1700 makes other noises than just the sound of air rushing in. When revving in place, the Stock Dog Bowl BAKs actually sound pretty good. Its when under load or driving that they sound obnoxiously bad. The 1700 makes all sorts of awful upper engine noise. You will hear air hammering, thrumming/droning, and what sounds like a vicious engine KNOCK at certain times.

Some bikes, like mine, even had an intake CHIRP under acceleration. I went back to the stock intake and couldn't be happier. Bottom end torque returned and low speed throttle response is crisper with the stock air box.

BAKs generally only provide additional power at Wide Open Throttle and at the top end...all other times, the stock setup is usually better and quieter. Most BAK owners will not admit this because of the placebo effect (or the power of suggestion). If it is louder, it must be better and more powerful, right?...well, not always...buyers beware and informed ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 05-22-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131 View Post
Jared is correct, any time the intake is opened up it is going to louder than stock. When I was young and had the 4 barrel carb car engines, use to take the factory cover and flip it upside down, and well you know the rest of the story here you got it More noise...
I haven't thought about the "flipping the cover" in ages, serious flashback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Unlike other bikes, the 1700 makes other noises than just the sound of air rushing in. When revving in place, the Stock Dog Bowl BAKs actually sound pretty good. Its when under load or driving that they sound obnoxiously bad. The 1700 makes all sorts of awful upper engine noise. You will hear air hammering, thrumming/droning, and what sounds like a vicious engine KNOCK at certain times.

Some bikes, like mine, even had an intake CHIRP under acceleration. I went back to the stock intake and couldn't be happier. Bottom end torque returned and low speed throttle response is crisper with the stock air box.

BAKs generally only provide additional power at Wide Open Throttle and at the top end...all other times, the stock setup is usually better and quieter. Most BAK owners will not admit this because of the placebo effect (or the power of suggestion). If it is louder, it must be better and more powerful, right?...well, not always...buyers beware and informed ;)
Respectfully disagree concerning the power increase. While I was initially annoyed with the increased noise, I did not return to stock because of the increase in power at lower rpm. That allows me to comfortably run in 6th gear at lower speeds and increase my mileage as well. While I don't have a dyno sheet to show hard evidence (I'm sure Ray does), that was my seat-of-the-pants observation. I have since adjusted to the sound increase, don't notice it much anymore. I still plan on lining the inside of the dog bowl with sound absorbing rubber to see it I can take the edge off, but overall I am thrilled with Joe's Chuckster's unit.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

With the Chucksters kit, my increased intake noise "went away" with the addition of louder pipes, V&H slip-ons.
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp