Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #1

Leaky gas cap

Does anyone else have a problem with the gas cap leaking?

I think maybe its a california model problem? from what I can tell its coming from the vent hole under the cap. I sit on my bike when I fuel so its level and I always stop below the filler neck like the manual says and with out fail I always get some gas running down the outside of the tank after a few turns until its around 1/2 - 3/4 full.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Leaky gas cap

Never had this problem on my 05. I only fill it with it on it's side stand.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #3

Leaky gas cap

Check and see if your overflow tube is stopped up it could cause it

Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Leaky gas cap

your cap's venting is not working properly and pressure is building up in the tank and when it's near full and the gas is splashing around it will try to find a way out and the gas cap is the place it will leak. I had that problem in a bad way and took the cap apart (didn't trust the dealer to know what to look for) and removed the blockage (I think it might be just for California versions) and now there is no more pressure in my tank. You know if you have a high tank pressure issue if you ride your Nomad for a while and park it and open the tank and hear a loud shwoooosh of air come out. Then it's not venting correctly. It's hard to describe what to do when you take the cap off the tank and screw around with it but you'll see where the venting is supposed to take place and can clearly see why it gets stuck in a "blocked" position. I just removed the blockage and I've never had a leak yet. Also, when I open my tank there is no pressure release at all, nothing....Problem solved.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Leaky gas cap

WHAT YEAR IS YOUR NAD? I HAVE A 2006 AND I HAD THAT PROBLEM ALSO. IT IS BECAUSE THA TANK IS TO FULL. YOU SHULD HAVE A METAL CUP INSIDE YOU GAS OPENING ONLY FILL IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THAT CUP. NEXT TIME YOU FILL UP GET IT TO THE BOTTOM OF CUP AND STAND YOUR BIKE UP THE FUEL WILL COME ALMOST UP TO THE CAN AND WHAN IT BUILD UP PRESSURE IT WILL LEAK OUT.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #6

Leaky gas cap

On my 05 Nomad, if I fill it a bit too much during the texas summers, when it's at or over 100 degrees, mine will spill out for a bit till I can get 5 or so miles down the road. Only way to prevent it is to not fill it so much when it's warm weather.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #7

Leaky gas cap

I have an 04 Nomad and it has always whistled, spewed, and everything since it was new ???. It didn't matter how full I filled the tank (if it was to full it would leak out). I was reading thru this thread and read where blowndodge had disassembled his gas cap and solved the problem. So I removed my gas cap and took it apart screw by screw. I didn't see any visible blockage anywhere. I reassembled the cap and put it back on the tank. My wife and I went for a 575 mile ride Saturday 7/21 from home thru Memphis to Tupelo, up the Natchez Trace Parkway to Nashville then back home in mid to high 80 degree temp. The gas tank / cap never whistled or spewed once (it normally does at those temp's). When I would open the cap to fill up there would be a little pressure (which should be normal) and that was it. Great Info blowndodge, Thanks..........
VBA #146

Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Leaky gas cap

Glad it worked Jim!

I will try to explain what is happening. As Jim pointed out once you remove the gas cap there are 4 to 6 phillip screws to totally disassemble the "workings" the two suspect parts are the black curved pieces under the first flat cover to remove. Each black plastic piece is a "mirror" of the other and one of the pieces is pushed towards its counterpart with a spring. If you disassemble those two plastic pieces you will find a small hole, about the size of a straight pin that is covered with a small opaque 1/8 circular piece of plastic. This blocks the venting until a certain point then when pressure is high enough it overcomes the spring and moves one of
the black pieces apart and it vents.

Unfortunately if you take the whole thing apart you see that the channel and associated parts that these black pieces slide in are not machined well at all and they get stuck in a jammed position.

I just removed the small wafer and didn't want to try to get the pieces to slide better. I just removed the source which is that small round flat plastic piece and reassembled it and I can fill it up all the way with no leakage and when I open the cap on a hot day, nothing!! no pressure whatsoever. Been like that over a year now.

Brad

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 07-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #9

Leaky gas cap

Just had to add. My '05 has not leaked gas but it sure likes to whistle. I know lots find it anoying. I may be silly or just got used to the whistling but I like it.....it's like it's talking to me......saying 'that was a good ride' or 'thanks for the gas'.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #10

Leaky gas cap

My 05 is a whistler also...........

Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Leaky gas cap

My '05 Nomad has whistled since new but has NOT leaked ever and I live in Texas where it gets HOT. The hotter it gets the more whistling, but I think it needs to whistle to vent pressure or it would blow sooner or later. if you over fill pass the plate in the tank you do increase your chances of leaks. Doc from Austin.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Leaky gas cap

Sue gets her own thread!

Member # 0005

Old 11-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Leaky gas cap

No whistling or leaking here... but then again I do sing to myself (which would mask the whistling) and druel uncontrollably due to prolonged periods of lack of brain function (which would account for the dried up drips on the tank). Hmmm....

Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #14
VBA Founder

Leaky gas cap

I stopped my whistling, leaking and dribbling...... Ah, the wonders of medicine.

I haven't experienced any gas tank whistling or leakage as of yet, but it doesn't mean I won't. Good info to know BD.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #15

Leaky gas cap

My 07 whistles and also has pressure when opened. I just tell people that it is whistling because it is happy to be out of the garage and on road.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]