Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #166
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
You had your's flashed. How did it go?
Indeed I did! I've been ridin' and smilin' for 2 days here in sunny Florida.
I'm riding a 2009 Voyager with stock airbox and filter, with a stock 2011 Vaquero engine, fuel injection and exhaust. 322,000 miles on the bike and 82,000 miles on the engine. I also have the dshelly quick-turn throttle.
After installing the Ivan ECU the engine now idles at 2000 rpm when cold but settles down to 950 when the engine warms up. The fast idle isn't real constant, sorta hunts and surges but the warm idle is as smooth as a kitten purring.
The improved throttle response and extra torque is very noticeable, even with my stock setup. The engine runs better, sounds better and pulls harder.
With stock mufflers the decel popping was barely detectable but that is now completely gone too.
My temp needle previously always sat at or above the center mark on the gauge, now it is consistently less than center while riding even in low 80s today. The needle does still rise as I slow down or stop for traffic but quickly drops when moving again.
When I installed the ECU I had 89 octane fuel in the tank, and the engine did ping quite a bit while accelerating, and it never pinged before this. Today i filled with 91 octane Shell and we rode 2-up, 50-60 mph along country roads with lots of stopping for eats and chats. There was no pinging at all with 91 fuel.
Prior to this mod, my mileage indicator always hovered around 46 mpgUSA but when calculating actual mileage it worked out to 43 mpg. My fuel light usually came on at 180 miles. These are likely higher numbers than most others are seeing with stock intake and exhaust but I'm an old guy and ride sorta gentle most of the time, and my bike is getting nicely broken in and loosened up. After installing Ivan's ECU my indicator now reads 49.x and I calculated the last 2 tankfulls at 45 and 46 actual mpg. My fuel light now comes on at 215 miles. I am quite happy with the extra range but the cost of premium fuel more than offsets the the improved mpg, so there will be no cost saving for me.
There is no improvement in the cruise control, mine still shuts off and auto resumes as it did before, but Ivan made no claims that it was fixed.
Overall, I am very happy with the improved drive-ability, extra power, cooler temps, smoother running and improved mpg. Not complaining but I'd be happier with the stock 1250 rpm cold idle, this 2000 rpm requires me to slip the clutch or drag the brakes in order to keep my speed below 10 mph while exiting the RV resort we live in for the winter.
Not sure what to think about the requirement for premium fuel, I've spent the last 4 summers in northern Canada (Labrador, NWT, Yukon) and Alaska and premium is few and far between up there. I'll need to carry octane boost or have a stock ECU to install when I get there.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 PM   #167
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I'm riding a 2009 Voyager with stock airbox and filter, with a stock 2011 Vaquero engine, fuel injection and exhaust. 322,000 miles on the bike and 82,000 miles on the engine. I also have the dshelly quick-turn throttle.
After installing the Ivan ECU the engine now idles at 2000 rpm when cold but settles down to 950 when the engine warms up. The fast idle isn't real constant, sorta hunts and surges but the warm idle is as smooth as a kitten purring.
The improved throttle response and extra torque is very noticeable, even with my stock setup. The engine runs better, sounds better and pulls harder.
With stock mufflers the decel popping was barely detectable but that is now completely gone too.
My temp needle previously always sat at or above the center mark on the gauge, now it is consistently less than center while riding even in low 80s today. The needle does still rise as I slow down or stop for traffic but quickly drops when moving again.
When I installed the ECU I had 89 octane fuel in the tank, and the engine did ping quite a bit while accelerating, and it never pinged before this. Today i filled with 91 octane Shell and we rode 2-up, 50-60 mph along country roads with lots of stopping for eats and chats. There was no pinging at all with 91 fuel.
Prior to this mod, my mileage indicator always hovered around 46 mpgUSA but when calculating actual mileage it worked out to 43 mpg. My fuel light usually came on at 180 miles. These are likely higher numbers than most others are seeing with stock intake and exhaust but I'm an old guy and ride sorta gentle most of the time, and my bike is getting nicely broken in and loosened up. After installing Ivan's ECU my indicator now reads 49.x and I calculated the last 2 tankfulls at 45 and 46 actual mpg. My fuel light now comes on at 215 miles. I am quite happy with the extra range but the cost of premium fuel more than offsets the the improved mpg, so there will be no cost saving for me.
There is no improvement in the cruise control, mine still shuts off and auto resumes as it did before, but Ivan made no claims that it was fixed.
Overall, I am very happy with the improved drive-ability, extra power, cooler temps, smoother running and improved mpg. Not complaining but I'd be happier with the stock 1250 rpm cold idle, this 2000 rpm requires me to slip the clutch or drag the brakes in order to keep my speed below 10 mph while exiting the RV resort we live in for the winter.
Not sure what to think about the requirement for premium fuel, I've spent the last 4 summers in northern Canada (Labrador, NWT, Yukon) and Alaska and premium is few and far between up there. I'll need to carry octane boost or have a stock ECU to install when I get there.
If I read his site right, it's supposed to improve the rate that the throttle opens like a quick throttle. Is that true? I've wondered why more haven't found a hack for that on bikes with throttle by wire.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #168

Quote:
Did I read that right? 322,000 miles!? As far as moving while the bike is fast idling, Kawasaki recommends not doing that anyway. They suggest giving the bike a few minutes to pump oil through out the engine.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #169

I sent my ECU to Ivan on Monday. He received it yesterday, flashed it, and it should be back to me tomorrow. I will get out for a ride the first chance I get and let you all know the results. No reason to expect it won't be the same as others who have had it done have reported.

ETA: I asked Ivan if I would need to leave my Cobra Powerpro on. He said to unplug it and ride for a couple of weeks, then plug it back in and see what it does. He said it shouldn't make much of a difference with the mods that I have (listed in my Sig). Has anyone who has had their ECU done experimented with this?

2012 Vaquero
Ray's throttle mod
K&N filter
Thunder gasket
Ivan's ECU
Mustang seat
Vance & Hines Slip Ons
VBA#02709

Last edited by shortfuse223; 03-24-2016 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added More

Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #170
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
If I read his site right, it's supposed to improve the rate that the throttle opens like a quick throttle. Is that true? I've wondered why more haven't found a hack for that on bikes with throttle by wire.
My understanding is Ivan found the stock grip-to-throttle movement to not be linear, meaning 70% grip twist may or may not result in 70% throttle opening. He has made it linear, you get the throttle opening you ask for regardless of temperature, gear, etc.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #171

Quote:
My understanding is Ivan found the stock grip-to-throttle movement to not be linear, meaning 70% grip twist may or may not result in 70% throttle opening. He has made it linear, you get the throttle opening you ask for regardless of temperature, gear, etc.
Just to jump in here....are we talking about Ray's throttle mod? From my understanding, that mod is really no longer required now due to Ivan's mod. If you already have it on your bike, leave it on, but if you don't, no need for it.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #172
Advanced Member

I already had mine on and it worked out well with both.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #173
Advanced Member

Shortfuse223....I have a powerpro auto tuner sitting in my cabinet in the shop on a shelf. I have not run any kind of tuner since Ivan re-flashed my ecu and the bike runs great. I would only hook it back up if another member ran their bike with re-flashed ecu and the powerpro and reporting that it worked well. In the meantime, no need for it.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #174

Quote:
I believe u are correct

Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #175

Roger that. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
Shortfuse223....I have a powerpro auto tuner sitting in my cabinet in the shop on a shelf. I have not run any kind of tuner since Ivan re-flashed my ecu and the bike runs great. I would only hook it back up if another member ran their bike with re-flashed ecu and the powerpro and reporting that it worked well. In the meantime, no need for it.

2012 Vaquero
Ray's throttle mod
K&N filter
Thunder gasket
Ivan's ECU
Mustang seat
Vance & Hines Slip Ons
VBA#02709

Old 03-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #176

Seems like a lot of good reviews, making it sound kind of irresistible. Time to jump in, I've always been a sucker for a well tuned engine. Ivan you had me at, no more popping and banging. Where did I put my bubble wrap? Cheers

Last edited by MET-RICK; 03-24-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #177
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky View Post
Just to jump in here....are we talking about Ray's throttle mod? From my understanding, that mod is really no longer required now due to Ivan's mod. If you already have it on your bike, leave it on, but if you don't, no need for it.
The ECU re-flash (or add-on tuner) is unrelated to the throttle mod. The reflash or tuner causes the engine to produce more power, the throttle mod makes you think you have more power. Both work well on their own and they work well together. If you were wanting a throttle mod last month, don't let the news about a reflash prevent you from buying it this month.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:05 AM   #178

Grin

Mailed out my ECU monday morning, had it back Thursday afternoon!!! Hopefully I will have a chance to test drive friday afternoon. Big thanks to Ivan

Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #179

Quote:
I found that out in 2011!!! Thus my throttle mod came to be. Good to hear the flash and mod works well together.

RACNRAY

Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #180
Advanced Member

Back to the fast idle thing....I always let my motor warm up well regardless because with that semi-dry sump lube system it takes longer for the engine oil to circulate through the entire system when stone cold so by the time that has taken place, the idle settles down and you are off to the races. This is really important on cold starts especially if you want your engine to last.