Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #1

Cold Start/Not working

I recently installed a Hypercharger... Now when I start my bike it does not have the High Idle til it warms up! My choke know also does nothing... Any Ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Cold Start/Not working

I need to know what year your nomad is and what did you unplug when you installed the Hypercharger?? If you installed this then you had to remove the "fast idle" solenoids. This add fuel to the motor when your bike is cold in the morning. Without them your bike will not idle well until it warms up.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #3

Cold Start/Not working

My bike is a 2000 Nomad Fi 1500cc. I unpluged the cold air Silanoid, put it on the hypercharger, It is pluged back in.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #4

Cold Start/Not working

remove intacke ductwork, air inlet, cold start comp., air mass sensor. The wires removed from COLD Start Solenoids, may be neatly bundled and tucked out of harms way-out of site....

Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Cold Start/Not working

You found your answers. Cold start soleniod unplugged 8-}
No mass air for sensor to pick up.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

Cold Start/Not working

That sucks... What do you know about the choke, I pull it out..nothing happens any differant..

Old 03-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Cold Start/Not working

choking means not breathing, must get air in somehow...

Member # 0005

Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #8

Cold Start/Not working

The "choke" on the FI Nomad is really just a fast idle control. In order for it to work you must fully extend it. Once fully extended it will increase the RPM's of the engine. Don't forget to push it back in once the engine is warmed up. ;)

Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #9

Cold Start/Not working

Typically, once you remove the solenoids, the fast idle knob will not provide enough extra air to do a proper idle when cold. I have a modified Vista cruise and I just use that to keep the idle up, or keep my paw on the the grip.

However, there is an easy mod for the idle knob that should help. You can find it on Gadget's website. Basically, you make a little plastic sleeve that increases the diameter of the cold idle stop peg. Don't worry if you don't know what that is. Look at the photos on Gadget's site & it will be obvious what you need to do.

And just for the record, a choke knob will reduce airflow volume above the throttles, increasing its velocity, and therefore making the mix richer: and it also has a linkage to crack the throttles open a tad. All the knob on the Nomad does is crack the throttle open a tad. The computer fixes the mixture itself. FI engines have no choke.