Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Does parking lot practice help on the street?

Some might think that street riding is fast, and parking lot practice is slow, so how are they related?

I was looking through the old safety site that I spent time on and saw this posting. It makes it clear that parking lot practice is done at speeds routinely used on the street.

Check it out.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...?TOPIC_ID=6857

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

I agree, especially if riding in heavy traffic.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #3

Yes, absolutely.

I travel at walking speeds almost everyday I ride. Sometimes just slowing down to time a traffic light so I don't have to come to a full stop.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Yes, absolutely.

I travel at walking speeds almost everyday I ride. Sometimes just slowing down to time a traffic light so I don't have to come to a full stop.
For those that haven't clicked on the link, the guy shows with math and gforces etc, that 90 degree right hand turns are all at parking lot speed.

I also play the traffic light game of trying not to stop and give it time to turn green. I also do it at stop signs to give the car in front a chance to pull away so that I don't have to stop behind it.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

The practice certainly helps, Its something we should all do, to feel comfortable in all situations. The same goes for driving in the rain. Nobody likes it but its good to know what the bike will do in the wet. There are a couple of roads around my neighbourhood that get very slick in the rain, the first time the bike slid when trying to stop, was good for a diaper change. Now I know what to expect and am aware, so it doesn't catch me by surprise anymore. Knowing what the bike will do in any given situation gives you the advantage on maintaning control over it in all conditions.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
The practice certainly helps, Its something we should all do, to feel comfortable in all situations. The same goes for driving in the rain. Nobody likes it but its good to know what the bike will do in the wet. There are a couple of roads around my neighbourhood that get very slick in the rain, the first time the bike slid when trying to stop, was good for a diaper change. Now I know what to expect and am aware, so it doesn't catch me by surprise anymore. Knowing what the bike will do in any given situation gives you the advantage on maintaning control over it in all conditions.
I agree, and another thing that should be practiced, but I only rarely have done so, is practicing emergency stops in the rain.

There will most likely come a time on wet roads that you will have to make a sudden stop. It would be good to know what to expect.

You would all need to take into consideration local conditions to practice it. In Arizona where it doesn't rain much, it could be very slick with oil floating to the surface that rarely gets washed away, as opposed to Seattle.

Taking local conditions into consideration, and working up from not aggressive, to slightly more aggressive stops so that you can monitor traction is the way to go.

Oil floating on the top excluded, there is still a surprising amount of grip on wet roads. It's good to know how much you can put into a stop in the rain. Because it's only a crash if you don't quite stop in time.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #7

I think any extra time and effort put into getting to know how your bike and you react under different situations is time well spent. It's really a shame we don't have motorcycle simulators.
I had a blow out in 1968 on a sportster running 80ish down the interstate. It was one of the most exciting moments I have ever had on a motorcycle.I'd like to be able to practice that maneuver safely, but there is no way I know of to simulate it. Another instance, same sportster, 1970, the motor seized , again about 80, another exciting moment. Darn I miss that old sporty.
Anyways, those are things that can happen, and the more in tune you are with your bike the better.