Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 12-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #1

MSF RIDER COACHES

I was curious. Other than myself. How many members are MSF rider coaches?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
MSF RIDER COACHES

Judging from the low number of responses I would say that you are in a class by yourself. So, how did you come to this calling? Motor officer?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #3

MSF RIDER COACHES

Sorry to take so long Idaho. Just returned from vaca.
Nope not a motor officer. Though I am seriously envious of the way those guys can handle their bikes. It amazes me. If any of you ever have the opportunity to see a Policeman on a bike in action you'll be amazed.
I came to the world of MSF sort of accidently. No pun. I had a long break in my riding and when I announced to my wife I was going to buy a bike she said NO WAY WAS SHE GOING TO RIDE WITH ME. A friend suggested taking the MSF course offered through the state. I did and was so impressed by the way the instructors handled the weekend I knew I wanted to do that. I went throught the interview process, got accepted, then went through "basic training" successfully came out the other end as a rider coach. I will be starting my fifth year teaching and absolutely love it. It amazes me the change students go through from the first exercise on Saturday morning to the last one on Sunday afternoon. I have had only one student that left on their own on Saturday and said it was going to be to easy for them........they just had their bike repaired from having an accident a month before. Go figure.
If any of you have noticed, I really believe in taking the course(s) offered by the MSF. It can only help you be a better rider. if you think differently, you are fooling yourself. Most folks on this web are not those type of thinkers, from what I've gathered. Ride safely everyone.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #4

MSF RIDER COACHES

Hangon702 was a coach. I thought there was someone else on here too but can't remember their name. I was very impressed with the professionalism of my instructors when I took the basic course. I need to make time for the experienced course and would like to take it with my wife (if they allow that) The most conclusive study ever done on motorcycle accidents (The Hurt Report) identified that over 92% of all motorcycle accidents involved a motorcyclist who had no formal rider education.
http://www.utahridered.com/benefits/...rt_Summary.pdf

Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #5

MSF RIDER COACHES

I've heard that before wolfman. Pretty scary when you realize how many bikers out there have no training at all. Years ago, I took a couple of free classes that were sponsored thru bike groups. They were ok, better than nothing. Taking any type of training is better than taking a chance on luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
MSF RIDER COACHES

I took the beginners class when my wife bought me a bike 6 years ago. Had not ridden a bike for almost 30 years and I knew that help was needed. Best thing I ever did. Now I'm thinking about the advanced class this spring.

Bought my first bike when I was 16 and rode it home after the guy showed me how to shift it. Looking back on some of the close calls and dumb stuff I did I'm very lucky not to be a statistic right now. Formal training should not even be an option. IMHO it should be mandatory.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter