Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #16

Countersteering

Of course you can. you just have to countersteer to offset the leaning...HUH..............

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #17

Countersteering

Quote:
Of course you can. you just have to countersteer to offset the leaning...HUH..............
Same as riding in a stiff side wind. You don't notice that you are steering into the wind until an RV or big truck comes and blocks the wind for a few seconds. Then the bike swerves, if you are not ready for it.

I've tried (just for fun) to see how far I can lean and still go straight in a parking lot. If you hang off a ways you can get a pretty good lean, and still go straight.

So leaning will only turn a bike if your arms don't prevent the steering geometry from initiating the turn.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #18

Countersteering

Quote:
Speaking of racers. Did anyone happen to see Todd Bayliss in the road Race on TV last Sunday? That guy is awsome. He almost dumped it twice and droped back to 5th and stilll won the race. The anouncer kept saying "He's got to calm down"
I watched it....

+1 For Ducati & the 1098!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #19

Countersteering

I had ridden all my life and never analyzed how I turned the bike. When I finally attended the basic course and it was explained, I was skeptical, but the moment I consciously tried 'push right, go right' a whole new world opened up -increased my control by at least 50%

I was stoked by just this one new experience and I still marvel at how effective such a simple concept works.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #20

Countersteering

More than you ever wanted to know about how a bike (either kind) turns.

http://www.terrycolon.com/1features/bike1.html

Will need to get the second page to get to the countersteering section

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #21

Countersteering

Quote:
More than you ever wanted to know about how a bike (either kind) turns.

http://www.terrycolon.com/1features/bike1.html

Will need to get the second page to get to the countersteering section
++++++1 !!!!!!!!!!!

That was an awesome page of information on the dynamics of counter steering.

Thanks for posting it.

With computers, I'm content to have it do it's work without me understanding how at all.

For most, how a motorcycle works is in a similar category. For others, like myself, I want to know what really is happening.

There is room for both types in this forum. If things get too technical for you, skip over the overly technical stuff. If the overly technical stuff is up your alley, post it on this forum.

I'd like both types to visit here and discuss at what ever level is enjoyable for them.

But Ells, I'm really into this, thanks much for posting the link.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #22

Countersteering

Countersteering just comes naturally to me also, but I think leaning is different when you lean into a corner or lean over going straight. For corners I don't bend, I lean my whole body with the bike, whereas if I lean while going straight I pivot from the waist, to keep the bike vertical.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #23

Countersteering

Being an old United Airlines Gyro mechanic...here's why your bike leans when you torque the handlebars.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Gyroscopic_precession_256x256.png[\IMG]

Torque-induced precession (gyroscopic precession) is the phenomenon in which the axis of a spinning object (e.g. a part of a gyroscope) "wobbles" when a torque is applied to it. The phenomenon is commonly seen in a spinning toy top, but all rotating objects can undergo precession. If the speed of the rotation and the magnitude of the torque are constant the axis will describe a cone, its movement at any instant being at right angles (90 deg) to the direction of the torque. In the case of a toy top, if the axis is not perfectly vertical the torque is applied by the force of gravity tending to tip it over.

The whole story...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...on_256x256.png

Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #24

Countersteering

Quote:
Being an old United Airlines Gyro mechanic...here's why your bike leans when you torque the handlebars.
Torque-induced precession (gyroscopic precession) is the phenomenon in which the axis of a spinning object (e.g. a part of a gyroscope) "wobbles" when a torque is applied to it. The phenomenon is commonly seen in a spinning toy top, but all rotating objects can undergo precession. If the speed of the rotation and the magnitude of the torque are constant the axis will describe a cone, its movement at any instant being at right angles (90 deg) to the direction of the torque. In the case of a toy top, if the axis is not perfectly vertical the torque is applied by the force of gravity tending to tip it over.

The whole story...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...on_256x256.png
Ouch Bob! Now my head hurts :-[

Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #25

Countersteering

Basically it means that when you move the bars left and right rather than turn the bike in the same direction...it makes the bike lean left or right in the opposite direction. "turn Left- Lean Right".

Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #26

Countersteering

Quote:
Basically it means that when you move the bars left and right rather than turn the bike in the same direction...it makes the bike lean left or right in the opposite direction. "turn Left- Lean Right".
Much better - thanks Now I'm back to "Push right, go right"