Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Don't forget to hydrate your passenger

Just wanted to remind you to hydrate your passenger too.
My wife and I left Houston at 1:15 pm the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.
We stopped west of Katy, after about an hour an were both pretty thirsty
Our next stopped was planned for Buc-ees which would be about 90 miles.
Well we made it about 85 miles when my wife started tapping me on the shoulder to exit.
While looking for the next exit ramp I noticed she had taken her helmet off.
She gave me a more urgent tap on the shoulder and I pulled over onto the side of the road.
She was close to either getting sick or passing out (or both).
While she rested two nice bikers pulled over and offered to go get her something to drink.
Well we had some water with us and once she rested about 15 minutes, we were able to make it to Buc-ees for a longer air conditioned break.
We eventually made it to San Antonio and had a fabulous ride through the Three Sisters, west of Bandera, in the hill country.
She did great, and we made sure to take frequent breaks.

Be careful all, it’s getting hot. It was 93 degrees when we left Houston that Friday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Don't forget to hydrate yourself!!! Took a trip recently doing a test run for our club to decide the best routes to take. Very hot day. Since there were only two of us, we did not take breaks as often as we do with the group. Coming to a stop about 5 miles from our end point, I made a dumb mistake and hit the front brake only while the front wheel was turned. Dropped the bike nicely...lucky it was a slow drop. Could not understand why I did it. Got to our end of route, took a break and drank some water, just not enough, then rode 15 miles home. When I got there, I hit the garage door opener, drove inside and got off the bike. Forgot to put down the kickstand. Didn't have the strength to lift the bike. Walked up stairs to get help and my wife said I looked grey..not my best color. So hydrate everyone! I could have just passed out on the road while riding.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Amen!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Leather up and expose less skin. You stay hydrated better.

Around here we got this thing called cold rain. It's free and comes from the sky, like right now, and we'er gettin' ready to head out for Laconia. Oh well.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to dabull

110 mile ride today...left Crestview at 0915---HOT already.....stopped at a local biker friendly establishment (The Outpost) at about 1100 and had a lime gatorade....thing went down fast...rolled on down to Destin and stopped at the Shed for lunch...3 sweet teas and 1 coke....then, 30 minutes later back at the house drank a big ole water!!! dang was i that thirsty?

oh yea - the BBQ and the ride was good :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #6

We always carry water with us and my 2 daughters have Camelback hydrationpacks they carry. They work great.
http://www.camelbak.com/en/sports-re...ion-packs.aspx

Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #7

Good points from all... ;)

In addition; research shows you should wear clothing that covers you entirely. While this seems counter to what you would think; it is known to help keep your skin from "wicking" as much perspiration from wind; and complications from the sun's direct exposure on your skin.

I know... it doesn't seem to make sense; but most of the research I can find on this seems to support the thought, for what it is worth.

Electrolytes, sodium, and potassium are also important ingredients to replenish when re-hydrating... typically found in most "sports-drinks".

Early detection "signs" that may indicate dehydration has started for the rider include minor changes in one's inability to control their bike as "good" as they normally would. i.e., making stops that are less-controlled than normal; or minor swaying or weaving beyond what you normally would do.

And "yes"... dehydration can occur in cooler weather also. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #8

I wear a Camelbak hydration pack works great. I don't fasten the waist belt and the pack fits over the drivers back rest and rests on the passenger seat the chest strap keeps it from moving around. We rode 250 miles yesterday in 92 Deg heat. Love the hydration pack.

I mountain bike on a bicycle and already had the camelbak I love that thing.

I'm tall so I have the Lobo model.

http://www.camelbak.com/en/sports-re...ion-packs.aspx
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #9

Three or four years ago, traveling in 100+ temp, I forgot to drink much water. On a long turn next to a steep gorge, I fixated across the gorge. Looked up just in time to see I was also pointed in the same direction. I came real close to hitting a guard rail and being thrown over into who knows what! I wasn't thinking clearly and I believe it was because I was only drinking an occasional soft drink and a little water. I'll never let that happen again! BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #10

Many years ago when we were much younger, we were riding in the high desert on a cross country trip. The sun was strong but the wind was stronger and just sucked the moisture out of us. Peg and I were talking and at one point she realized that what I was saying to her didn't make any sense (not always a sign of her problem). She said she needed to pull over and get in the shade and have something to drink. Fortunately there was an overpass not far ahead and we stopped in the shade. We were pulling a trailer with plenty of liquid and ice. Peg had lots of water and I had a couple of beers. Those were the best beers I ever had. Ok, safety people, bring it on, but understand they were only 12 ounce beers.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Sunscreen! Sunscreen! Sunscreen! I rode Sunday and forgot to put sunscreen on and am paying for it.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #12

The heat definitely contributes, but the wind sucks the moisture right out of you - possibly worse for the passenger since they are sitting higher and farther from the windshield - especially at Interstate speeds.

Happened to me while fishing on Lake Erie. Even though we were under a canvas cover, the constant breeze and reflected sun dehydrated me. Started getting nauseous.