Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

Aux hook up

I have a 2012 voyager. I am trying to find another way to plug my phone into my radio. I have the iPod hook up. And have bought the 30 pin too 8 pin connector to plug my phone in. I am wondering if there is another way to hook a usb plug into the radio and not use the iPod hook up cause while I use that I have to leave the left hand storage door open to use currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #2

I use my old iphone 4 as an iPod. It’s already 30 pin. I just wiped it clean of everything and put my music on it. If you don’t have an old 4 ask around, people just give them to me. I have one for just Reggae/Ska and one for Rock and put whichever phone I want in depending on what kind of music I want to listen to.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

I think I may have an old 4 lying around my house. I will have to look. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

So let me ask this, If I get an I phone 4 and the connectors (kawi stock ipod connectors) What makes it able to switch songs ? Is there a specific program to load on the phone to play the music?

Can I transfer any MP3 files from a windows computer and have it read out and be able to switch songs, this would be the deal killer.

And what form (cables or down load ) would I need to transfer the correctly formatted music from my windows computer? I am Assuming USB to 30Pin, but is there other ways?

And what does an I phone 4 cost? and where to get one?

And Does it really charge while hooked up?

Yes, I am Apple Ignorant. Keep that in mind with a response.
And thank you in advance for the information.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 03-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
So let me ask this, If I get an I phone 4 and the connectors (kawi stock ipod connectors) What makes it able to switch songs ? Is there a specific program to load on the phone to play the music?

Can I transfer any MP3 files from a windows computer and have it read out and be able to switch songs, this would be the deal killer.

And what form (cables or down load ) would I need to transfer the correctly formatted music from my windows computer?

And what does an I phone 4 cost? and where to get one?

And Does it really charge while hooked up?

Yes, I am Apple Ignorant. Keep that in mind with a response.
And thank you in advance for the information.
Yes it really charges while it is hooked up. Yes, any files. You use iTunes to put the music from your computer onto your iPhone, iTunes is free it converts the files to your phone when it downloads them to it. You also use the charging cord that comes with the phone to put the music from the computer to the phone, the other end that goes in the charger is a USB end that you put in your computers USB port. You don’t use that cable on the bike, just for data transfer to put music on, remember the bike charges the phone now. You can put the music in folders or just random as a bulk. Think of the iPhone as a thumb drive (or a cd if you aren’t familiar with thumb drives), you can switch from song to song or just let it play. I have mine set to random and it just plays all of the songs one right after the other, I prefer random. The bike reads the files because it is setup to read them with that special connector you buy to hook the phone to the bike. Like I said ask around, someone you know likely has a 4 laying around, if not they can usually be found for around $20-$40 on eBay.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Thank you for the information.

So I tunes will read folders and bulk songs on the radio screen? and Operate with the handle bar controls. This is the part that drives me mad with an MP3 player, I have to pull it out to charge ( iPhone solves without rewiring a power supply in the left glove box) and bouncing around with songs and Pull it out to change folders before I start out on a drive or having to stop and Pull it out to change folders of music when I want to.
The Pattern here is I hate to have to pull out. ( no emoji covers this one)

I want something I can leave in and operate from the handle bars. Just like the radio.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #7

I picked up an older Ipod Classic on Ebay. The screen has a few faulty pixels, and the headphone jack doesn't work, but I need neither of those things, and the faults just meant it was cheaper than many others... It has a 60GB hard drive that I've not come close to filling with music (I record from Spotify using Cinch Audio Recorder). It also has the 30 pin connector I needed to plug into either my car, or my bike's audio system - with full control through the handlebar controls on the bike, or steering wheel controls in the car.

I particularly searched for a 5th generation device, as it was the last one that boasted a "Wolfson" audio chip, rated for being the best in sound reproduction.

It only needs disconnecting if I want to put it in the other vehicle, or add some more music to it.

When I bought it, I thought I might have the hard drive upgraded with a very much bigger solid state drive (there are services on Ebay offering that at a reasonable price), since I thought the one in it now may skip in the bike. But it never has yet, and it's big enough for my needs at the moment.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Thank you for the information.

So I tunes will read folders and bulk songs on the radio screen? and Operate with the handle bar controls. This is the part that drives me mad with an MP3 player, I have to pull it out to charge ( iPhone solves without rewiring a power supply in the left glove box) and bouncing around with songs and Pull it out to change folders before I start out on a drive or having to stop and Pull it out to change folders of music when I want to.
The Pattern here is I hate to have to pull out. ( no emoji covers this one)

I want something I can leave in and operate from the handle bars. Just like the radio.

Yeah, all the songs show on the screen and every control works on the bars just like they were designed to do. I haven’t taken my iPhone out since I put it in when I got the bike last July. That one is Reggae and Ska, the Rock one I made over the winter and since the riding season hasn’t started yet, I haven’t put it in. The point is, I haven’t pulled mine out at all since it went in.

I like to keep my music genres separated with my thumbdrives and have taken to do that with the iPhones I am using as iPods. Just pop whichever genre in that I feel like listening to and swap whenever I feel like I want to listen to a different one. That’s just me though, I could stick them all in one phone if I wanted to.

The skipping hard drive thing mentioned by Peg is only releavent to iPods themselves, particularly earlier ones and not when you use an iPhone as an iPod as there are no moving parts inside the iPhone like there are in the hard drive of an early iPod.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 03-17-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

I pod touch 3 gen, Will that work also? Does the 3gen have a hard drive or SSD drive?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch shows that the 3rd generation touch has a 30pin connector, and all touches seem to have had flash drives (from 8 to 128GB), so yes - it should work well.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #11

Thanks PEG