Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-28-2023, 11:14 AM   #1

Question Steering Stem Bearings test

I have been doing a lot of reading in this forum as well as others, and I don't see anything specific to my issue(?).

I too have the dreaded front end wobble. It's not bad. I do experience it in turns on decel. Mostly to the right. I just don't take my hands off of the bars. I guess now it's just tolerable. Anyways I was trying to test my front end. Jack up the front end and spun the wheel. Very straight and no wobble and balanced. As per the manual, I pulled the forks back and forth (linear), no play. This is good. Next was the "drop off test" or the "fall away test" or what ever it's called. Well there is no drop off. The bars just causally go back to center. Also noting there's no positive stop point (notch on bearing race) when turning with the bars back and forth, off of the ground of course.

Anyone ever heard or experienced this? Does this mean my stem is too loose?

Thankx in advance

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -RR

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying. -WA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2023, 11:30 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Most times a new front tire will cure the wobble, at least for a while.
If you have done all the usual checks and have not found an issue with the steering stem bearings then a new front tire would be my next step.
If that does not cure the issue then replacing the steering stem bearings with Allballs tapered roller bearings would be step 2.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:45 PM   #3

I think that your cables/brake lines are not allowing the front wheel to fall to whatever side you push it to. So they force it back to center. Have you put on higher risers? Just jack up the front wheel and not the back wheel at all. If both are jacked up and the back is higher the front wheel will want to return to the center! Hope my rambling makes sense!

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 08-01-2023, 07:35 PM   #4

With your tire pointing straight ahead, turn loose of your handlebars, lean your bike a little, if your bars just flop to the side....bearings too loose....
Get your bike lifted so tires are off the ground, bars straight ahead, stand straddle your front tire lift straight up and down really firmly and quickly....if theres any noticeable slope, bearings are probably loose and need to have some grease added....or your sliders have some wear in them.
If all is well on your front end tightness, look at your tire and wheel bearings....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-01-2023 at 07:38 PM.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:53 PM   #5

Front wheel wobble = death wobble! Kawasaki knows all about this. It was so bad on my bike I was ready to drive it to a junk yard. The grace of God revealed to me the correct solution. Get rid of the OEM
Bearings in the steering head and buy some All Balls tapered bearings. Fixes one of many problems these bikes have. Starting to believe a Harley isn't such a bad bike to own.

Login or Register to Remove Ads