Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Floorboard Vibration

Finally got to take the bike out for a 45 mile highway cruise today, good stuff. One thing I did notice though was that above 70ish on the speedo the floorboards vibrate more than I expected... almost a buzz.

Saw some earlier posts where people suggested re-torquing a couple bolts. Anyone know a good place to start?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Floorboard Vibration

Umm... how about starting at the floorboards.

Just kidding. I've never heard of this before, so I'm not really sure. I just couldn't help but make a wise crack. I would check all the bolting points at the floorboards and make sure there is nothing loose there. Maybe check for missing rubber washers or something to that effect.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #3

Floorboard Vibration

There is supposed to be a spring under the front floorboards, if its missing they will rattle.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Floorboard Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4S
Finally got to take the bike out for a 45 mile highway cruise today, good stuff. One thing I did notice though was that above 70ish on the speedo the floorboards vibrate more than I expected... almost a buzz.

Saw some earlier posts where people suggested re-torquing a couple bolts. Anyone know a good place to start?
Finally got the bike out....so it's been sitting for a while? And did you check the air pressure before leaving? Also if sitting in 1 spot for a long time (as most do when stored) then they can develop a flat spot for lack of better term. It may take a few miles for it to round out and that vibration you feel in the floorboards could be from that. Also do you feel it at all in the handlebars? I'd say to check tire pressure and maybe increase it beyond factory specs a bit and see if any difference. Also if you have air shocks check them and that both have the same amount of air in them (zero loss air pump works best).
There are lots of other things you can check, but those would be the first I'd check if just came out of storage or extended non use.

Scott

Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Floorboard Vibration

The floorboards are mounted mighty close to that big ole engine. The engine does have some vibration and this tends to emanate out to the floorboards. I took a 56 mile ride today and some speeds were over 70 and I felt some vibration in the floorboards also. But then again I always have felt a certain amount of vibration in the floorboards. I would just look the floorboard over real good and check the tightness on anything.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

Floorboard Vibration

Thanks for the advice all. Will start with the above.