Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #1

Help with Nomad Lower Saddlebag Rails

I got a set of Nomad Lower Saddlebag Rails (K53020-365) last year, just as things were getting cold. I went to install today. One of the items on the hardware list is "2 - Spacers" (for attaching the "U" Bracket) However, there are no spacers to be found. For those who have it, did yours come with a spacer? What does it look like? Something I really need, or can I improvise something?

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk700
I got a set of Nomad Lower Saddlebag Rails (K53020-365) last year, just as things were getting cold. I went to install today. One of the items on the hardware list is "2 - Spacers" (for attaching the "U" Bracket) However, there are no spacers to be found. For those who have it, did yours come with a spacer? What does it look like? Something I really need, or can I improvise something?

Thanks!
There should be two spacers for the rear mount. When you tighten up the rear mount it stops the bracket from collapsing. It may work without, not sure, mine came with them.

Hard to get a picture but you can kind of see it here:

2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

The spacers are just so you can snug up the bolts, and so with a little close to fit clear plastic tubing and a drop of blue loctite you can make your own pretty easy. For that matter if it must be steel there might 1/4" steel conduit, or thin wall pipe that will do, if you feel a need for metalic tubing.

I had them on my 01 Nomad, and then added a trailer hitch, which threw everthing off.

So I backed off the front mount and used just one bolt there, leaving the forward end boltless in one hole. On the back end i cut off the lower bottom tab and drilled the hitch crossmember running a longer thru bolt, which worked well.

All the spacer does is prevent you from closing the tabs up too much, so plastic will stop any rattles, but you would need to pay attention to when it is time to stop, and let the locktite do what it does.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

Thanks. If I can find some tubing that would work for this, I'll do so. If not... oh well. I guess the length would be a little less than the inside distance of the U-part.

Man, you guys are fast in answering! I appreciate it!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

If there is an ACE Hardware store near you, they usually have an amazing assortment of oddball hardware. You may be able to find some spacers there. Lowe's may have them as well.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

yeah just line up what ever material you get first and make a pencile marking to the insides if the tabs and cut off one spacers, do that once more and you have 2.

You could use a lot more than I listed, like soft copper tubbing, which you could paint black. It won't rust anymore than plastic will. The idea is to stop crush, and to get rid of rattles.

So just don't crush the tabs and it will be fine.

It is a good idea to slip the rear end on the spreader bar first too, that way you won't need to 'spring' the rail as much if at all.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #7

Mine came without spacers. I installed them and removed them to install my trailer hitch. They had closed up a little. I used the handle of my 3/8" ratchet drive to open them enough to slide off of the cross member. No problem. A spacer would be better though.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #8

I found a spacer at a hardware store that has a lot of odds and ends. (private store, but sells Ace stuff) I replaced the two bolts by the rear tip over bar on the left, replaced them with the longer ones, put the bracket on, put the spacer on, and... crap... the spacer is a bit thick (chrome), and just thick enough that it pushes the bolt just a hair too far to the side, and it won't go through the bottom hole of the U-bracket after being in the spacer.

Won't have time to go back to the specialized hardware store today, have some things I need to do tonight. I do have a chance to run to the near by home depot, so I'll see if they have a thinner version. If not, I'm hesitant to ride, since while I did put the acorn nuts on the bolts, they are longer than the stock bolts, so I don't know if that means things will rattle too much or not. I won't be able to get to the more specialized hardware store again until Thurs. :-(

I'm one of those 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of guy. ::)

Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #9

Whew, just got it installed. (cut a thin pipe to make the spacers) I had a panic moment where I wasn't sure which was the top and which was the bottom, but went with logic, and later verified with a picture from MaKaw. ;)

After 3 or 4 false starts, nice to have that notch off.

Next the ISO bars, Break-away cruise control, and highway pegs. I may have my shop do one or two of them when I bring it in for an oil change (leaving it for a few days since I'll be out of town anyway).

Thanks for all the help guys!

Louis