Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #166

Hey all, thanks to everyone for sharing their experience. Just bought a 2017 Voyager (1st Big Bike) after owning sport bikes a decade ago and then a boulevard C50T (re-entry to riding in mid life). I've only put a few hundred miles on the Voyager and I quickly notice all the inherent flaws at slow speeds, throttle response and high temperatures. I bought the V&H twin slash today, sticking with stock intake and stock filter, as someone mentioned above, I don't see me spending much time above 4500 rpm. I plan on sending the ECU to Ivan as soon as I am sure Ohio weather tells me how stupid I am for trying to ride. Two questions;

Will I notice any negative effects of the V&H exhaust before I get the flash?

And most importantly, will the flash really help the temperature issue. The heat is my biggest concern with my purchase. My right leg is getting extremely warm, even after short rides in a cool environment?

Thanks and looking forward to being in this community.

Mark

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #167
Top Contributor

Getting a few miles on the engine, and getting the flash will help some with the heat issue, but don't expect miracles.

You should be fine with the V&H exhaust and no flash if you keep the stock intake.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Getting a few miles on the engine, and getting the flash will help some with the heat issue, but don't expect miracles.

You should be fine with the V&H exhaust and no flash if you keep the stock intake.
ThnX

Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #169

it helps to wrap the head pipes --- that insulates them and HELPS keep the heat away from u --- the clutch cover gets hot no matter what u do --- the flash helps by turning the fan on at a lower temp --- using a 30/70 coolant mix will also help get rid of a LITTLE HEAT and will protect to below 0* [ think about -20 ] --- the flash also richens the fuel mix which cools the combustion temps = cooler engine --- hope this helps

Old 11-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post

Just installed the new V&H slip ons, question, what do I do with the O2 sensor? Leave it plugged in and tie it up or unplug it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
it helps to wrap the head pipes --- that insulates them and HELPS keep the heat away from u --- the clutch cover gets hot no matter what u do --- the flash helps by turning the fan on at a lower temp --- using a 30/70 coolant mix will also help get rid of a LITTLE HEAT and will protect to below 0* [ think about -20 ] --- the flash also richens the fuel mix which cools the combustion temps = cooler engine --- hope this helps
Thanks

Old 11-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #172
Advanced Member

The 02 sensor is needed until the reflash has been done. The program does away with it. You asked also about the V&H slip-ons, after the reflash and the addition of the V&H slip-ons my Voyager had a dead spot in the throttle, kinda like hitting the kill switch for a second, around 2700 rpm's when not rodding but moving on out of the hole and didn't like pulling up out of slow speeds in lower rpm's, 2nd- 3rd gear to speak of. I put the stock mufflers back on with the reflash and it cleared all low rpm and 2700 dead spot issues. Better low end torque also. The V&H's just don't give the engine enough back pressure.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #173

Quote:
the addition of the V&H slip-ons my Voyager had a dead spot in the throttle, kinda like hitting the kill switch for a second, around 2700 rpm's when not rodding but moving on out of the hole and didn't like pulling up out of slow speeds in lower rpm's, 2nd- 3rd gear to speak of. I put the stock mufflers back on with the reflash and it cleared all low rpm and 2700 dead spot issues. Better low end torque also. The V&H's just don't give the engine enough back pressure.
Interesting, I do not think I have ever read that observation. Glad I kept the stock exhaust. As the motor broke in My acceleration in low rpms improved and now runs great. Post Flash.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
The 02 sensor is needed until the reflash has been done. The program does away with it. You asked also about the V&H slip-ons, after the reflash and the addition of the V&H slip-ons my Voyager had a dead spot in the throttle, kinda like hitting the kill switch for a second, around 2700 rpm's when not rodding but moving on out of the hole and didn't like pulling up out of slow speeds in lower rpm's, 2nd- 3rd gear to speak of. I put the stock mufflers back on with the reflash and it cleared all low rpm and 2700 dead spot issues. Better low end torque also. The V&H's just don't give the engine enough back pressure.
I have the VH slip ons and haven't noticed this (I do have the flash). I purchased the slip ons after the flash was done for my stock exhaust. Not that this information helps anyone, just my observation.
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 11-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Steelers View Post
I have the VH slip ons and haven't noticed this (I do have the flash). I purchased the slip ons after the flash was done for my stock exhaust. Not that this information helps anyone, just my observation.
Thanks 4Steelers, Spoke with Ivan today and sent my ECU out. Said he that , other than the stock exhaust, he did all his testing with the V&H slip ons an with no problems. He also indicated that he really only cared what intake was on the bike and only does provides two options, w/BAK and w/o, all which just reiterates what is on his site.. thanks all for the information....just wish I hadn't waited to buy the bike until it snowed.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #176

Quote:
just wish I hadn't waited to buy the bike until it snowed.
Bought mine in October 2016, Short riding season Ain't it ! It was rough putting it away, I Feel your pain.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #177
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Steelers View Post
I have the VH slip ons and haven't noticed this (I do have the flash)………………..
I have spoke with Ivan in the spring after the reflash and V&H addition [at the same time] and he said the hesitation around 2700 rpm's (when gassing on it)was a common complaint and he hadn't been able to solve it in the program. As I said mine was very common. Embarrassing when riding with all them Harley boys. After the stock mufflers were added back, I have a real good smooth powerful bottom end with the reflash. Before the reflash it was a nightmare. Other than hearing all the cold engine clattering I'm good with the fact I can hear the music at 80 mph now from the 6 inch speakers.

I'm thinking if I close the inlet end of the baffle just a tad, it may solve the whole issue. Definitely gonna wrap the baffles with stove rope before I reinstall them again. Just to darn loud for longer rides.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 11-22-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #178

Greetings FloatMe and congratulations on the 2017 Voyager!

IVANizing will help with the heat, but wrapping will probably help more. Not that it matters anymore, since your ECU is on it's way... The V&H without the reflash popped more on decel for me than the stocks. More correctly stated, I HEARD the pops more with the V&H than with the stock pipes. Once you get the ECU back, unplug the O2 sensor. Mine it tapped and tied up so that the plug doesnt catch water or dirt.
The throttle and response are going to be SO MUCH smoother, it'll be like a different machine.
The bride just bought a Victory Cross Roads, less than a 100 miles before putting them to bed for the winter. She feels your pain!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 11-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings FloatMe and congratulations on the 2017 Voyager!

IVANizing will help with the heat, but wrapping will probably help more. Not that it matters anymore, since your ECU is on it's way... The V&H without the reflash popped more on decel for me than the stocks. More correctly stated, I HEARD the pops more with the V&H than with the stock pipes. Once you get the ECU back, unplug the O2 sensor. Mine it tapped and tied up so that the plug doesnt catch water or dirt.
The throttle and response are going to be SO MUCH smoother, it'll be like a different machine.
The bride just bought a Victory Cross Roads, less than a 100 miles before putting them to bed for the winter. She feels your pain!

Ride safe,
Smokier
Thanks Smokier! I now wish I would done more research prior to installing the slip-ons. I would have pulled the pipes off and wrapped them at the same time. Anyone have any experience with ceramic coating vs. Titanium wrap? Or doing both?. Anyway, back to the garage to take it apart again. What else are you going to do on a long weekend in the winter :)

Old 11-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #180

Ride safe,
Smokier[/QUOTE]

The single best thing you can do to that Victory is add Lloydz timing wheel. It will wake that thing up immensely. A $140 upgrade that makes a $2000 difference.