Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Dealer tire install

Took the Voyager in for a new tire. Left it over night. When it was ready I picked it up and just got on it and rode home. Got to an intersection in town near my house and had no brakes. Cars were coming and I had a red light so I hung a tight right turn between curb and oncoming car. Drove up on curb and came to a stop. I immediately had to use the bathroom. Looked at rear wheel and the back brake caliper was hanging from the hose. No pads in it. Called the dealer and they sent a truck and trailer and picked it up. Went back to get it when they called and left the dealer again and tried to stop at the corner and the rear brake pedal went all the way down like it needed to be bled. Took it back and they determined that the caliper was not holding pressure. They replaced it at no charge and I was on my way. They were very apologetic but it still makes me mad. My wife was real mad. I go to the dealer so that I know everything is done to factory spec. I told them not to let that mechanic work on my bike any more. He obviously is not thorough to say the least. Hate to think it is up to me to check their work before I get on my bike after service.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by sacarriker; 09-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

Wow, that guy would not touch my bike again.
You are very lucky.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

I'm glad th hear that you are ok and no one was hurt. On the other hand, I too would be totally pissed at the dealer/mechanic and I dont think they would think of me as such a nice guy when I got done reaming them a new one.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

I would almost be tempted to talk to a Lawyer and sue their ass off for negligence, their mistake could have been deadly.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

This is why a lot of us do our own work. Kind of makes you wonder what else they forgot to do.

I took my Nomad into the dealer for service and I think they flushed my clutch, when the idiot put my shift levers back on he put them at 10:00 and 2:00, I had them adjusted low because I have big feet. I went to down shift coming to a light and couldn't find the lever. That's the last time those jugheads ever touched my bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #6

Thats why I do my own work as well, I may not always be perfect either but at least I'm not paying for someone to do a lousy job on the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

WOW! Glad you were able to save yourself and the bike. That could've been really bad. Anymore, dealer techs are just kids looking for a job... hardly any training at all.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
WOW! Glad you were able to save yourself and the bike. That could've been really bad. Anymore, dealer techs are just kids looking for a job... hardly any training at all.
That's why I like going to Kinetic. They've got a long standing reputation to protect.

Glad you were able to get out of a bad situation, sacarriker. I think there would have been some blood if I'd had to go back to the dealer in that same scenario.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black
B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter
VBA #02190

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #9

You can stop just fine using just the front brake.

What was wrong with your front brake?
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Sacarriker, I'm glad you were able to get stopped without being hurt.
I'm curious.......was this the first time you used the brakes since leaving the dealership, or the caliper fell off after riding some distance?
I see your Voyager has ABS, and the linked brake system. When you tried to stop at that intersection did you apply both the front and rear brake controls, or just the rear? I'm wondering if a single failure in one brake hose or caliper disables the entire brake system, scary if that is the case!

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I would almost be tempted to talk to a Lawyer and sue their ass off for negligence, their mistake could have been deadly.
Only one problem with that idea, there was no harm done. You can't sue someone for something that could have happened.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Sacarriker, I'm glad you were able to get stopped without being hurt.
I'm curious.......was this the first time you used the brakes since leaving the dealership, or the caliper fell off after riding some distance?
I see your Voyager has ABS, and the linked brake system. When you tried to stop at that intersection did you apply both the front and rear brake controls, or just the rear? I'm wondering if a single failure in one brake hose or caliper disables the entire brake system, scary if that is the case!
The front brake still worked but not as well. I was not barreling through town. Didnt have helmet or gloves. I had riden on the free way but not far and coasted to the corner and turned not using brake. Went through the couple of green lights andthen was coming to a light that went yellow and i glided up to it. Wasnt going to need much brake so at first just started to use back break. Pumped it twice before realizing i had nothing. Then tried to use front brake but it wasnt as effective as it normally is. My bike will apply the front break if you apply back break. I always apply both but was just being a little lazy because i was not going to need alot of break. I think the time i spend thinking about what was happening to my back break cost me some time and ended up creating the need to make the turn. Makes me wonder about how the break feature works and what situation can be created if one or the other fails.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #13

The linked system on the Voyager ABS only uses one front caliper with brake pedal the other is controlled by the brake lever on the handlebars.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman2011 View Post
The linked system on the Voyager ABS only uses one front caliper with brake pedal the other is controlled by the brake lever on the handlebars.
Thanks, makes sense now.
A friend of mine had an older goldwing that was like that, he hated those brakes and was always bleeding them.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman2011 View Post
That is why if you only use the rear brake, you will feel a slight pull to the left on the front, as it activates the front left brake as well as the rear.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220