Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #1

Spotlight Wiring

I just bought two shallow bodied spots for my 02 FI. I would really like them to turn on and run with the headlight. Also stay on with the high beam. I was thinking of running them off the accessory line under the tank, but figured I'd ask those that have probably done this already and use a tried and true method.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #2

Spotlight Wiring

I haven't purchased my driving lights yet but when I do, I'll hook them up like this:
Install a fused relay powered directly from the battery with it being switched from the tail light. Wire the lights from the switched power on the relay. This will turn the driving lights on when I turn on the ignition switch. Wiring the driving lights this way will have them on at all times and if the headlight goes out I'll still have lights to make it home. I may install a switch wired between the tail light and the relay giving me the option to turn them off. Makes sense?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #3

Spotlight Wiring

Hey thanks Cajun. I didnt even think about the taillight to junction off of.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Spotlight Wiring

These should be wired through a relay, with a dedicated power supply from the battery. I am not an advocate of wiring auxiliary lights without having them switched. There may be times when you want or need to have them turned off. The relay will turn them on-off with the ignition, but just add a switch to manually override this.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

Spotlight Wiring

i picked up a set of small chrome circle driving lights at wal mart for about $19 wired got 2 "p" clamps and wired through the headlight/ignition switch, i think :), anyways they turn on when the key is on even though the bike isn't running (not sure if that is a great idea) they work well, haven't rusted, are bright and i got a bunch of compliments on them. sorry that didn't answer your ? but just another idea... CJ has a point a switch would be ideal

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Spotlight Wiring

I may have to stash a switch somewhere in the mix, just in case. Also will the wiring change since they are single wire lights (only have one wire coming out of the lights).

Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Spotlight Wiring

I just run mine direct. No relay needed. Lights on with no engine and no key. They can be on any time it pleases me this way. I use illuminated switches to tell they are on in day time.

I have 2 sets of these on the bike because I live in moose country. I can't run both sets a long time, but I can run both sets at the same time for a limited time, and I do that in places I expect to see moose.

It is handy at night to have the engine off and be able to see. I like the passing lamps on in low beam at night too more so navigating sandy roads or wet grass.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #8

Spotlight Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concho
I may have to stash a switch somewhere in the mix, just in case. Also will the wiring change since they are single wire lights (only have one wire coming out of the lights).
The one wire you have is the power wire, the lamp housings are the ground path on your lights.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

Spotlight Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I just run mine direct. No relay needed. Lights on with no engine and no key. They can be on any time it pleases me this way. I use illuminated switches to tell they are on in day time.

I have 2 sets of these on the bike because I live in moose country. I can't run both sets a long time, but I can run both sets at the same time for a limited time, and I do that in places I expect to see moose.

It is handy at night to have the engine off and be able to see. I like the passing lamps on in low beam at night too more so navigating sandy roads or wet grass.
I don't have a relay on mine either, but they are connected to the ignition switch. It may be ok for you to have them wired direct, but if someone flicks a switch on you someday when your not around youll be pushing a heavy bike.
But you already know that. ;)

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #10

Spotlight Wiring

I am completely with Scott on this. Relay, switch and not tied into the headlight or ignition circuit. Thought there was a sticky on this.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Spotlight Wiring

Yeah I am at risk of someone messing around and flippin on the switches. It isn't likely for one switch, which is lashed up tight between the seat and the frame, but the other is exposed in the stock location on the Cobra Light Bar.

But someone messing around with another man's bike in NH is deeply frowned upon. Around here no one is willing to risk life and limb that much. I see bikes with all sort of things hanging off like helmets, sun glasses, leather jackets and more, and no one is going to tamper with them, unless the plan is to steal everything right down to the bike.

At home not even the house or barn can be seen from anywhere, unless you got a helicopter. The bike parked is just outside my window and locked up good with 3 locks.

Not even the fasted best trained thief is faster than my .45 acp bullets.

I don't see in summer rides what most people would call a city, and if i do I don't get very far from the bike for very long.

Oddly I used to work in a guns shop, and customers there would throw a leg over the bike, which was parked up tight to the shop window. I watched. I didn't understand why they didn't understand they were breaking the Taboo, but they were harmless.

No more but once around here it was common to turn off left On head lights in other people cars. These days i would never do that, but i still think about it. Just another way the world has changed for a not better.

I think I hear a cow just outside my window. That's odd. Moose are a bit more typical. Maybe i should go see.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #12

Spotlight Wiring

Some people don't think theres anything wrong by sitting on someones bike. My sister inlaw once sat her four year old son on someones bike at a restaurant. She didn't think there was anything wrong with doing that. When I told her that wasn't a good idea, she didn't see the rational at all.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Spotlight Wiring

If I caught someone sitting on my bike without asking me first, there would be no question in their mind that they made a mistake.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #14

Spotlight Wiring

I don't think Id like it to much either, if they ask first its a different story.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Spotlight Wiring

Cj, I was armed, and inside the gun store looking out the window. I found it odd, but decided to not go into kill mode. I was watching real hard.

People are funny about some things they know nothing about.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac